STALKER 2 35 minute deep dive

▪️"The Zone" is a huge open world consisting of 20 regions, each with their own residents, architecture, nature and anomalies
▪️There are almost no barriers in the game, free to explore any location
▪️Built to give the feeling of freedom, loneliness and anxiety
▪️Nearly 3 hours worth of cutscenes in the game
▪️No leveling system, the team wanted players to feel progress by gaining better knowledge of the environment, improving reactions, etc 
▪️35 weapons that can be modified with upgrades/attachments
▪️You play as Skif, a "common person with a very complex destiny", he is not a superherp
▪️You have to watch Skif's status, as he may get hungry or need to sleep. Ignoring them reduces your efficiency
▪️You can become overloaded if you try and carry too much equipment
▪️One quest in a swamp has you turning off 'psi-beacons'
▪️"Bayun the Cat" is a powerful mutant that hides in an abandoned church in the swamp, mimicking other Stalkers that cry out for help
▪️Players will get different stories depending on the choices they make, encouraging multiple playthroughs with different quests and characters
▪️Player progression is rewarded through off-the-path exploration and finding new weapons, weapon attachments, items, upgrades, etc
▪️One enemy is a 'pseudodog' that creates a pack of other phantom dogs. Killing the pseudodog gets rid of the phantoms
▪️Another is the zombie like "Controller", who raises level of radiation around the area with each attack
▪️Not all anomalies are harmful (some can provide soft landings to avoid getting hurt while falling)
▪️Lightning strikes can hurt you as well as enemies
▪️Variety of factions: "Loners" prefer to remain alone or in small groups, "The Duty" are committed to military discipline and order, etc 
▪️Factions in the game can sometimes change their leaders or break up

• Twinblade★ changed the title to STALKER 2 35 minute deep dive
On 2024-08-12 at 11:15 PM, MalaXmaS said:

This gives me Metro Exodus vibes which is a good thing.

That game was amazing.

you played the first 2? they both own too. last light is my fav in the series, can't wait for the metroVR and hopefully a new main one down the line

stalker looks pretty cool but the open world aspect worries me a bit, I'd rather have a tighter linear experience, also food/drink/sleep systems never intriguid me because they never do day/night cycles well

my guy going hungry after like 5 hours "real time/game time" or so is just :jordan3:  only kingdom cum did that ever right, but then they trivilize the eating with one powerful perk and makes it obsolete again :mjgrin: 

also, when do things like red barrel go boom and boxes that get hit with a knife explode stop :feelsbadman:

Edited by kaz
2 hours ago, kaz said:

you played the first 2? they both own too. last light is my fav in the series, can't wait for the metroVR and hopefully a new main one down the line

stalker looks pretty cool but the open world aspect worries me a bit, I'd rather have a tighter linear experience, also food/drink/sleep systems never intriguid me because they never do day/night cycles well

my guy going hungry after like 5 hours "real time/game time" or so is just :jordan3:  only kingdom cum did that ever right, but then they trivilize the eating with one powerful perk and makes it obsolete again :mjgrin: 

also, when do things like red barrel go boom and boxes that get hit with a knife explode stop :feelsbadman:

I beat Metro 2033 and stopped halfway through Last Light. Both excellent games.

Exodus was a technical marvel and a joy to play although the whole mechanics was stupid.

IMO the only game that I have played that did the food, drink and sleep formula well was New Vegas on Hardcore.