Wukong review thread (embargo ends at 7am PST/10am EST)

8.0 from GS

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/black-myth-wukong-review-monkey-business/1900-6418269/

The Good
Sun Wukong's magical abilities are wonderfully adapted to the game's combat
An unusual combo system ensures that its fast-paced combat doesn't quite feel like anything else
Boss battles are frequently stunning and force you to make full use of your repertoire
Environments are gorgeous and varied

The Bad
The story assumes you have knowledge of Journey to the West and is tough to follow without it
The level design is simple and dull, and enemies are too scarce

23 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

How did it get an 8 with this:

lol

It sounds like the core of the game is basically a series of a boss battles with some filler in-between. That makes it way less appealing to me. I know bosses are a core part of this kind of game but I don't want the whole thing to basically be a boss rush mode.

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

How did it get an 8 with this:

lol

Because of this. 

1) Sun Wukong's magical abilities are wonderfully adapted to the game's combat

2) An unusual combo system ensures that its fast-paced combat doesn't quite feel like anything else

3) Boss battles are frequently stunning and force you to make full use of your repertoire

4) Environments are gorgeous and varied

8 doesn't mean it's a flawless game, 8 means it's a great game with some flaws. 

Just now, Twinblade said:

So half of the ign review is the guy complaining about the game's issues but still gives it a 8 :ben: 

the check cleared halfway through the making of the video review.

19 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Because of this. 

2) An unusual combo system ensures that its fast-paced combat doesn't quite feel like anything else

3) Boss battles are frequently stunning and force you to make full use of your repertoire

this will make a solid purchase when it hits $19.99, 50 patches later.

Just now, Twinblade said:

The ign reviewer said he found it to be harder than Shadow of the Erdtree which is kind of crazy based on what i've heard of that game.

probably because you can't break the game like early versions of erdtree. i didn't use the perfume strat, but impenetrable thorns was beastly.

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Because of this. 

Idk, level design plays such a large role. I don’t think I’ve really ever seen a game overcome it 

4 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Idk, level design plays such a large role. I don’t think I’ve really ever seen a game overcome it 

a lot of big games have shit, bland, or broken level design. elden ring feels like a mess compared to the original dark souls.

12 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

a lot of big games have shit, bland, or broken level design. elden ring feels like a mess compared to the original dark souls.

I have yet to really get into the dlc but I loved the open world of Elden ring 

Just now, Long Ball Larry said:

I have yet to really get into the dlc but I loved the open world of Elden ring 

the base game, while amazing in many ways and in many areas...is...well...messy. it doesn't always feel cohesive. you can tell limgrave got the most love.

5 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Welp looks like woke reviewers are going to have a field day with this one

K2JA71h.jpeg

For someone with the surname Haddick ironically I bet she hasn't actually had much dick. 

• Haha 2