Upgraded my home network from Wifi 5 to Wifi 6

New router and PCIe Wifi 6 adapter for the PC.

Old Wifi 5 network:

Screenshot-2024-09-21-152109.png

New Wifi 6 network:

Screenshot-2024-09-21-192954.png

I have gigabit internet which is 950🔽 50🔼  (yes.. 50Mbps upload lmao Canada internet :D ) and as you can see, it's maxing it out.  I'm extremely happy with it.  I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get my full ISP speed out of it and was going to accept it as long as it got close.. but this exceeded my expectations :smoke: 

Any of you guys have newer Wifi setups?  I know there's 6e and even 7 coming out but any adapters that could actually take advantage of that speed are more expensive than I'm willing to pay at the moment.  Once it gets more established maybe, but I think Wifi 6 will hold me for a while.

• Like 1

Also, I got 2 sats and modem/router combo to reduce space fuckery. It’s been amazing. :happysad: I don’t have fiber, but it’s 550 down and 40 up. I’m blowing out everyone near me with the 8000 sqft reach, so I had to reduce output on the sats because it was an issue internally. I’m getting a consistent 1.5-2.3Gpbs off my plex server powered by novideo. 

Edited by lynux3
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Also, I got 2 sats and modem/router combo to reduce space fuckery. It’s been amazing. :happysad: I don’t have fiber, but it’s 550 down and 40 up. I’m blowing out everyone near me with the 8000 sqft reach, so I had to reduce output on the sats because it was an issue internally. I’m getting a consistent 1.5-2.3Gpbs off my plex server powered by novideo. 

dork

• aitch 2
7 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Holy shit that coverage :D  Nice speed tho B)  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Holy shit that coverage :D  Nice speed tho B)  

Overkill I know. :D It’ll last a while. I could get AT&T fiber or Google Fiber for 1000/1000 both ways, but Spectrum is cheap right now. :happysad:

5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Overkill I know. :D It’ll last a while. I could get AT&T fiber or Google Fiber for 1000/1000 both ways, but Spectrum is cheap right now. :happysad:

It doesnt pay that bill, DORK

Thats impressive on wifi. I have my PC wired and dont really use wifi for anything besides spotify or streaming shows/movies but ill have to look into upgrading at some point.

2 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

It doesnt pay that bill, DORK

Thats impressive on wifi. I have my PC wired and dont really use wifi for anything besides spotify or streaming shows/movies but ill have to look into upgrading at some point.

For a gig down and up, it’s about $80+fees with a promo, not sure how shitty it’ll get down the road. My house is setup for fiber and an ONT already exists. Just a matter of checking noise on the line and at&ts bullshit modem. I could bypass by spoofing the MAC, but haven’t gotten to that point.

i don’t need that much bandwidth. I measured online play with Helldivers, Destiny, etc., and it’s maybe 1-2Mbps up. Games don’t take much.

1 hour ago, Remij said:

New router and PCIe Wifi 6 adapter for the PC.

Old Wifi 5 network:

Screenshot-2024-09-21-152109.png

New Wifi 6 network:

Screenshot-2024-09-21-192954.png

I have gigabit internet which is 950🔽 50🔼  (yes.. 50Mbps upload lmao Canada internet :D ) and as you can see, it's maxing it out.  I'm extremely happy with it.  I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get my full ISP speed out of it and was going to accept it as long as it got close.. but this exceeded my expectations :smoke: 

Any of you guys have newer Wifi setups?  I know there's 6e and even 7 coming out but any adapters that could actually take advantage of that speed are more expensive than I'm willing to pay at the moment.  Once it gets more established maybe, but I think Wifi 6 will hold me for a while.

I had wifi 6 with gigabit internet over fiber for over 4 years. Shit was sweet... I have two wifi 6 unifi APs so I was getting over 900 Mbs down, through the entire house, back yard + front yard etc. 

Couple weeks ago downgraded to 300mbs only difference I noticed is games download slower now but everything else works fine. 

Funny enough my 300mb plan over fiber with wifi 6 has better numbers than your gigabit internet over wifi 5.

My long rage Unfi wifi 6 AP died last week, when I went to the store to replace it saw that they now have wifi 7 Unfi APs.  :mjpls:

I won't even bother getting that for maybe another 4 years because currently they're so few wifi devices even out to take advantage of that. 

Edited by Goukosan
  • Haha 1
  • aitch 1
1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

I had wifi 6 with gigabit internet over fiber for over 4 years. Shit was sweet... I have two wifi 6 unifi APs so I was getting over 900 Mbs down, through the entire house, back yard + front yard etc. 

Couple weeks ago downgraded to 300mbs only difference In noticed is games download slower now but everything else works fine. 

Funny enough my 300mb plan over fiber with wifi 6 had better numbers than your gigabit internet over wifi 5.

My long rage Unfi wifi 6 AP died last week, when I went to the store to replace it saw that they now have wifi 7 Unfi APs.  :mjpls:

I won't even bother getting that for maybe a other 4 years because currently they're so few wifi devices even out to take advantage of that. 

Yea, the wifi adapter I had wasn't very great.  I mean, it was good at the time, and before I upgraded to gigabit I had a 300down plan so that adapter suited my needs for some years.  When I got gigabit I couldn't justify using only Wifi on my PC because I was losing way too much speed.. so I had to reconnect with ethernet, but now I get full speed wirelessly and I love it :love:

I can't see myself needing anything more than this for quite some time.

21 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Couple weeks ago downgraded to 300mbs only difference I noticed is games download slower now but everything else works fine. 

Funny enough my 300mb plan over fiber with wifi 6 has better numbers than your gigabit internet over wifi 5.

I won't even bother getting that for maybe another 4 years because currently they're so few wifi devices even out to take advantage of that. 

Ubiquiti goodness. :lawd: My man. :denzel3:

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Nahhh. I've always had my PC hardwired to my router.

Yea, that's completely different.  Gigabit has been a thing for forever with ethernet lol.  What I have here is basically gigabit ethernet speed over wifi.  If you've got no reason to go with high-speed wifi for something like your primary PC, there's really not much reason to upgrade.  Once you have enough devices in the household which are Wifi 6, then it becomes worth it.  In my house we have 3 phones with Wifi 6, and now the main PC also has a Wifi 6 adapter.. so I can take advantage of the improved speeds which help especially when everyone is doing something on the network at the same time.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yea, that's completely different.  Gigabit has been a thing for forever with ethernet lol.  What I have here is basically gigabit ethernet speed over wifi.  If you've got no reason to go with high-speed wifi for something like your primary PC, there's really not much reason to upgrade.  Once you have enough devices in the household which are Wifi 6, then it becomes worth it.  In my house we have 3 phones with Wifi 6, and now the main PC also has a Wifi 6 adapter.. so I can take advantage of the improved speeds which help especially when everyone is doing something on the network at the same time.

ofc im sure the wifi benefits are great. I don't really mind having slower wifi speeds though,  the only wifi connected device I often use is my phone. I try to hardwire everything else, its still the most reliable and consistent way to connect to the internet.

• Upvote 1

I got a 6E setup to reduce noise on the 5GHz spectrum for devices I know can support it. Including my eventual PS5 Pro purchase which supports 7. :smoke: Anyways, 5Ghz is starting to get as crowded as 2.4GHz was. Also, I know my sats and main hub are ridiculous in power output enough to where they overlap and hopping between can be an issue, but it blows out my neighbors WiFi signals even after reducing signal strength. 

10 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I got a 6E setup to reduce noise on the 5GHz spectrum for devices I know can support it. Including my eventual PS5 Pro purchase which supports 7. :smoke: Anyways, 5Ghz is starting to get as crowded as 2.4GHz was. Also, I know my sats and main hub are ridiculous in power output enough to where they overlap and hopping between can be an issue, but it blows out my neighbors WiFi signals even after reducing signal strength. 

You give new meaning to being a noisy neighbor :D 

• dead 1
2 hours ago, lynux3 said:

For a gig down and up, it’s about $80+fees with a promo, not sure how shitty it’ll get down the road. My house is setup for fiber and an ONT already exists. Just a matter of checking noise on the line and at&ts bullshit modem. I could bypass by spoofing the MAC, but haven’t gotten to that point.

i don’t need that much bandwidth. I measured online play with Helldivers, Destiny, etc., and it’s maybe 1-2Mbps up. Games don’t take much.

Ok DORK