Sony Japan R&D Powerful 'Prototype' PlayStation Portable Device

3 minutes ago, McWicked said:

So the architecture does change.  Second point ceded.

So what's the problem?  I'm starting to think that you don't actually have an issue with what i've said, but just the fact that I'm the one that said it. :really:

No, no it doesn't...

"Compatible with select PS3/PS Vita titles, all PS4 titles and future PS5 titles"

This right here could not happen on anything other than x86, and x86 is not remotely capable of being that powerful at that size. This whole idea is dumb, this is a stupid rumor. 

11 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

No, no it doesn't...

"Compatible with select PS3/PS Vita titles, all PS4 titles and future PS5 titles"

This right here could not happen on anything other than x86, and x86 is not remotely capable of being that powerful at that size. This whole idea is dumb, this is a stupid rumor. 

Woah, woah, woah, hold up, Deeno...are you under the impression that "compatible" means you're gonna stick your PS3 discs into this hypothetical hybrid system? :| 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

No, software compatibility...

So we're just throwing emulation as an option out the window?  Got it.

Yeah, you're mostly just mad that I'm the one that said it.  Carry on.

Just now, McWicked said:

So we're just throwing emulation as an option out the window?  Got it.

Yeah, you're mostly just mad that I'm the one that said it.  Carry on.

Yes, yes we are. Because it takes a dramatic amount of compute power beyond the system you're emulating to emulate it...

:cosby2:

Unless Sony develops a handheld in which they hardware intentionally takes a PS4 game, completely unaltered, and forces a downgrade when running the software.

Like intentionally forcing it to a lower resolution (720p) so that the GPU doesn't have to render as much, and the CPU can run at the same clock as a base PS4.

The software would think that its running on a regular PS4., but the handheld OS is forcing it to render at a lower spec.

And even then, that's asking alot. I don't think a handheld like that would have enough battery to run for more than a couple of hours.