I modded my original GBA to add a AGS 101 screen.

GBA_mod.png.5d8ae6499baae22c247fd54b9489d597.png

Screen is from a GBASP AGS 101 model.  Installation was pretty easy.  You have to cut some of the plastic inside the front of the case, and the screen requires an adapter ribbon based on the GBA model you're hooking it up to, but that's about it.  There's another ribbon that gives you a brighter picture that requires soldering, but I fucked up and ordered the wrong one.  The reason for modding this instead of just buying an SP is that GBASPs don't have headphone jacks, and the form factor is better on the original GBA. 

10/10, would mod again.  Probably will with an updated speaker and a rechargeable battery pack that can be charged via USB.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bhytre said:

My favorite handheld to this day, good job smelly sheep B)

The original screen was really bad though :dame: 

The original screen is an abomination. :scust: 

Just now, McWicked said:

The original screen is an abomination. :scust: 

I bought it with Castlevania Circle of The Moon back then and SF2. Even with a light above your head Castlevania was still very dark and barely visible :kaz: 

3 minutes ago, bhytre said:

I bought it with Castlevania Circle of The Moon back then and SF2. Even with a light above your head Castlevania was still very dark and barely visible :kaz: 

To be fair, coming off of the original Gameboy, it didn't seem so bad at the time. :ahmad:

But now... :scust: 

1 hour ago, bhytre said:

I bought mine with circle of the moon as well but I never had a problem with the screen. Dark maybe, but visible.

I got one of these bad bois later :datass:

Bildergebnis für gba light

It was a magnifying glass but also had built in lights to play in the dark. It was awesome I could hide in my bed when I pretended to be sick to skip school and hide from a beating from my pops. B)

just kidding that shit was awful :D   still used it a lot though because i never liked beatings

Edited by kaz
5 hours ago, -GD- said:

i loved the flip one. i had a black one. it was gangsta. zelda minish cap :bow: 

SP was great when it came out, but it's missing a headphone jack, the form factor isn't ans comfy, and if you ended up with the AGS 001 model instead of the AGS 101 model, then you got a washed-out front lit screen instead of the awesome back lit screen.