AMD - Next Horizon Gaming Official thread

Yeah, it doesn't look bad, but this Frankenstein GCN/Navi they're pushing right now sucks. It leads me to believe that the next-gen PlayStation and Project Scarlett are actually based on the real RDNA... seeing that they're both going to have ray-tracing.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

Yeah, it doesn't look bad, but this Frankenstein GCN/Navi they're pushing right now sucks. It leads me to believe that the next-gen PlayStation and Project Scarlett are actually based on the real RDNA... seeing that they're both going to have ray-tracing.

Yea seems that way.  It's kind of disappointing for them to do it this way.. but they presumably need something out for this year.. so they're shoving this out to tide people over till spring/summer next year.  This and Radeon 7 is meant to supply the mid and high range segments.

This unfortunately shows that they are quite behind Nvidia still, and that their "real" next gen parts are likely dependent on technologies Sony and MS have collaborated with them on.

It's just messy.. compared to their crystal clear strategy with their CPUs.  Oh well.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Yea seems that way.  It's kind of disappointing for them to do it this way.. but they presumably need something out for this year.. so they're shoving this out to tide people over till spring/summer next year.  This and Radeon 7 is meant to supply the mid and high range segments.

This unfortunately shows that they are quite behind Nvidia still, and that their "real" next gen parts are likely dependent on technologies Sony and MS have collaborated with them on.

It's just messy.. compared to their crystal clear strategy with their CPUs.  Oh well.

It definitely lends credit to the rumor that the engineers were ready to push this thing out as soon as possible to work on the all-new RDNA. This filler Navi 12 isn't a big performer. 

Anandtech's article is up about the Zen 2 architecture.  Good shit.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14525/amd-zen-2-microarchitecture-analysis-ryzen-3000-and-epyc-rome

Some interesting slides.  Also it appears that the new Win10 update has some good optimizations (finally) for AMD Zen processors.

David_McAfee-Next_Horizon_Gaming-3rd_Gen

Mike_Clark-Next_Horizon_Gaming-CPU_Archi

TravisK_DonW-Next_Horizon_Gaming-Ryzen_D

Still REALLY sucks they don't support AVX512.. though.  That would have made a HUGE difference in some applications.

AMD CPUs :bow: 

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I'm curious if the CPU in these new consoles is a legit desktop variant this time, I know it's in an APU but in terms of what it is I'm curious if it's desktop level instead of a mobile CPU again. 

It certainly looks like it, albeit, at a lower clock. Even AMD's mobile CPUs aren't on Zen 2 yet, they're pushing them out on Zen+. I guess one way to see is by comparing a Zen+ desktop CPU with a Zen+ laptop CPU.

20 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I'm curious if the CPU in these new consoles is a legit desktop variant this time, I know it's in an APU but in terms of what it is I'm curious if it's desktop level instead of a mobile CPU again. 

I think they'll be the full desktop core with further optimizations which can be granted by a closed box system like a console.  Some people were talking about the fact that since Zen 2 doesn't support AVX512 instructions on the desktop side, they could potentially do optimizations to the memory subsystem to help mitigate that on consoles.

rdnartchkqq.png

Here we go.  This gives us a good glimpse at what their solution will be for consoles.  The consoles will probably have the Next Gen RDNA solution, which by itself still seems pretty limited.  It seems pretty much like what I said it would be.  They will utilize cloud computing to accelerate ray-tracing which doesn't involve quickly changing dynamic elements.  Essentially the slow changing elements which update at bigger intervals (GI and shadows) and thus can be computed more slowly and with more latency without being noticeable.  The player would never be able to tell the difference and it would be able to compute much more accurate and nicer bounce lighting and shadows from the cloud, while the local GPU could handle things like dynamic lighting on character models and material shading.

I'm sure some of the devs are going to simply utilize what the hardware can do, and others will attempt to use the cloud as well.  Should be interesting to see the different solutions devs choose and how they implement them.