Sony Interactive Entertainment considering game company acquisitions

Remedy and Ready at Dawn would be my choice. I already see people bitching that it's anti consumer because you need to own a PS system for them. Go big or don't bother. They all need to be able to make AAA games imo, no filler. A Japanese studio would also be a good choice.

According to Ryan, with companies such as Google entering the games industry, “content is becoming more important than ever before.”

“Companies new to the games industry looking at the market with hope is something we definitely welcome,” Ryan said. He emphasized, “Sony Interactive Entertainment has 25 years of experience in the games industry and has big assets.”

The number of monthly users of the network service of the home-use game console "PlayStation (PS)" exceeds 94 million in March, and its brand recognition is also high. Has 13 game production companies such as Japan, Europe and the United States, many exclusive titles. "It will be difficult for new entrants to have such a production company or title," it emphasized its superiority.

In the past, every time we transitioned to a new game console, we have made a deficit with development costs. He said he could not say the figures for the next-generation aircraft and said, "The profit margin has steadily increased in the past few years, and I am optimistic that it will continue in the future."

In the industry, attention is focused on "cloud games" in which games can be played on smartphones and the like via the cloud. Sony has partnered with Microsoft Corp. in the cloud field, and explained that it will "combine with the transition to the cloud based on the next-generation device." On the other hand, "For example, there will be no complete transition to the cloud in 22 years after three years," saying that transition to the cloud takes time, and indicates that it will continue the home game console business.

Edited by Team 2019

No shit.  I called this ages ago.  They're going to be stocking up developers for their own streaming shit.  Once the big 3rd parties start doing more and more of their own thing, MS and Sony are going to have to have their own stable of developers constantly releasing new games to keep people subscribed to them specifically.

No surprise that they are thinking of acquisitions. They’ve shut down so many studios over recent years and have been expanding internally (multiple team studios). I don’t expect any huge though, I think it will be more smaller sized developers to probably pump out smaller titles to fill the gaps between the major releases. Housemarque should’ve been someone they bought ages ago and should go for them now. For a larger dev though and given the hole they want to fill, I think getting someone like Turtle Rock would’ve been great.

then there is the obvious big choices like Bluepoint, Remedy, Ready at Dawn, Insomniac, etc 

Housemarque: "Sometimes you need exclusive deals because money doesn't grow on trees"

I assume they are going to work on VR imo. Since they can't handle an AAA title.

Edit : Apparently they are working on an AAA game, and are done with their twin stick shooters

Edited by Team 2019
15 hours ago, Pureis said:

How many times have they said this?

Isn't this the first time they've publicly stated this in recent history? Everything else has been rumors based on LinkedIn profiles and job postings. 

Edited by lynux3