Mike Ybarra: PS5 could have better I/O than anything the PC has ever seen

Of course it can.  Sony and MS can optimize the filesystem and customize the SSD to fit exactly what their systems require, as opposed to PCs which don't have that flexibility and have more general purpose workloads.. they also need to wait for standards to materialize and become adopted.  PCIe4.0 in 2020 and PCIe5.0 in 2021.

The PS5 for sure will have transfer rates of >3GB/s.. that's for sure.  So right there you can say it's better than anything consumer PCs will have.  I had guessed 5GB/s a while back, and I'm sticking to that.  I doubt they could afford to go any higher and hit their target sale price.  That would potentially put them over 2x faster I/O than the Series X (if we believe the 2GB/s rumor)... but the relevance of that really completely depends on the configuration of system RAM they go with.  2 sec loading vs 4 seconds loading is nothing to tout...  Both could easily be hidden behind clever programming.  How it affects the addressable RAM available to developers to actually improve game visuals or gameplay possibilities.. is what's more interesting.

On the PC side... we'll have more RAM than these consoles could ever hope to have.. with GPUs alone having at least 8-16GB, and 32GB-64GB of system RAM. 

With 4 lanes:

PCIe3.0 could have speeds over 4GB/s

PCIe4.0 could have speeds over 7GB/s

PCIe5.0 could be ready shortly after these consoles release in 2021 with over 15GB/s

So, if they have any real kind of advantage.. it'll be short lived.  Still will be amazing to see what developers could do when programming for 4-5GB/s transfer rates... hell.. it'll even be amazing at 2GB/s :smoke: 

Edited by Remij_
28 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

So seems to have diverted a lot of resources to the SSD, I think they want the no load times marketing to be backed up by real world performance.

Sony's ambitions CLEARLY point to something other than just no loading times...  This will very likely have huge implications for the actual games that can be designed in the future.  Being able to swap out memory THAT fast.. is let's just say.. extremely precious to developers.

There's a reason why Naughty Dog said "PS5's lightning fast load times will make gaming unrecognizable"

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Apparently Ybarra is referring to the Series X, and what he said about Sony is the fact that Sony actually demoed it and that MS haven't yet.

I think an SSD will allow for amazing transitions in epic scenes in God of War 2. That will allow for so much shit to happen at the same time with seamless transitions.

4 hours ago, Remij_ said:

I had guessed 5GB/s a while back, and I'm sticking to that.  I doubt they could afford to go any higher and hit their target sale price.  That would potentially put them over 2x faster I/O than the Series X (if we believe the 2GB/s rumor)... but the relevance of that really completely depends on the configuration of system RAM they go with.  2 sec loading vs 4 seconds loading is nothing to tout...  Both could easily be hidden behind clever programming.  How it affects the addressable RAM available to developers to actually improve game visuals or gameplay possibilities.. is what's more interesting.

You really need to stop this nonsense, they already said the I/O is 40x faster.

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

You really need to stop this nonsense, they already said the I/O is 40x faster.

I'm talking about PS5 being ~2x faster than the Series X.. (~2GB/s vs ~5GB/s)

The Series X is 40x faster than the HDD in the XO.... not a PC with an SSD...

JFC :snoop:

Edited by Remij_
5 hours ago, Remij_ said:

I'm talking about PS5 being ~2x faster than the Series X.. (~2GB/s vs ~5GB/s)

The Series X is 40x faster than the HDD in the XO.... not a PC with an SSD...

JFC :snoop:

Based upon what? Where are you even getting 2 GB/s, and where are you getting 5 GB/s?

The drives in the Xbox One are 100 MB/s, a 40x uplift would be 4 GB/s. 

4 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Based upon what? Where are you even getting 2 GB/s, and where are you getting 5 GB/s?

The drives in the Xbox One are 100 MB/s, a 40x uplift would be 4 GB/s. 

No... they aren't.  They're ~40MB/s...  Digital Foundry confirmed this back when the Xbox One X launched and repeated it in their new Series X article.

Assuming the comparison point is available I/O bandwidth from Xbox One's hard drive, we're looking at 40MB/s for a bandwidth increase to circa 1.6GB/s on Series X - a figure that rises to 2.4GB/s if Xbox One X's I/O bandwidth of 60MB/s is the base number. Combine that with the total removal of seek times (there is no physical head moving around a hard drive any more) and we should indeed be close to the elimination of loading times. In this respect at least, the console will be returning to something closer to its original roots - our hope is that something closer to the original concept of the 'plug and play' console gaming is back.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-xbox-series-x-reveal-analysis

And WindowsCentral heard similar 2GB/s for Series X

Microsoft has made comments about improving load speeds and access to your games through the Xbox Series X, and we've heard that, incredibly the NVMe SSD coupled with some of Microsoft's own proprietary tech makes near-eliminates loading. Games that have loading times of anywhere up to a minute are reduced to mere seconds, with the SSD having anywhere up to 2GB/s read speeds. Microsoft is also rumored to be leveraging Project XCloud game streaming to reduce installation times too, allowing you to jump into your games before they're done installing by letting you stream them. Next-gen is all about saving you time. Microsoft also engineered this thing to be as quiet as possible, and we've heard that even under heavy load it's virtually silent.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x

And I'm getting 5GB/s from my own personal prediction of what I think Sony is going for.

Edited by Remij_
1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

And I'm getting 5GB/s from my own personal prediction of what I think Sony is going for.

Why are you predicting 5GB/s though? Hard to believe MS is just gonna let PS5 beat them by more than twice the read speed.

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

No... they aren't.  They're ~40MB/s...  Digital Foundry confirmed this back when the Xbox One X launched and repeated it in their new Series X article.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-xbox-series-x-reveal-analysis

And WindowsCentral heard similar 2GB/s for Series X

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x

This is not correct, I know what the drives are. Why would you argue something so easily verifiable as false?

The Xbox One S uses the Seagate ST500VT000

• Maximum Sustained Data Transfer Rate 100 MB/s

6tuf9XK.jpg

The Xbox One X uses the Seagate ST1000LM035 

• Data Transfer Rate 140 MB/s

0alyw27wc7821.jpg

4 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

This is not correct, I know what the drives are. Why would you argue something so easily verifiable as false?

The Xbox One S uses the Seagate ST500VT000

• Maximum Sustained Data Transfer Rate 100 MB/s

The Xbox One X uses the Seagate ST1000LM035 

• Data Transfer Rate 140 MB/s

I know what the drives are too.... and they 100% do NOT sustain those transfer rates...

lmao I have 7200RPM HDDs which don't even reach those speeds.. 5400RPM... not a chance in hell.