FF7 Remake demo is out now

The demo itself was good, but i did have trouble guarding and dodging attacks. Its not that those mechanics are clunky or unresponsive, instead it feels like theres a delay in which you need to allow the animation to play out. For example hitting R1 doesn't seem to immediately put you in the guard state, you need to wait a second before Cloud will actually block attacks.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm an expert at pressing buttons, do you know who you're talking to!?    

He rushed through the game in 15min....didn't watch any of the cutscenes, but he's an expert at the combat and how to defeat enemies in the quickest way possible... on his first playthrough...

Yes master. im a mere FF plebeian in your presence

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The demo itself was good, but i did have trouble guarding and dodging attacks. Its not that those mechanics are clunky or unresponsive, instead it feels like theres a delay in which you need to allow the animation to play out. For example hitting R1 doesn't seem to immediately put you in the guard state, you need to wait a second before Cloud will actually block attacks.

I like to spam the attack button while going into command to use ability/magic/item but they are often gray out cause Cloud is in an attack animation. When i hit r2 to get Barret to do something the command is gray out too cause I think he is in an attack animation lmao.

Edited by Pureis
32 minutes ago, Pureis said:

I like to spam the attack button while going into command to use ability/magic/item but they are often gray out cause Cloud is in an attack animation. When i hit r2 to get Barret to do something the command is gray out too cause I think he is in an attack animation lmao.

Did you have ATB meter? Abilities cost meter.

The AI in particular is very bad with managing ATB so you have to babysit the AI a lot. There really needs to be an option that lets you tweak the AI behavior sort of like the Tales games allow you to. Because right now the AI acts like an idiot with it's meter.

14 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Did you have ATB meter? Abilities cost meter.

The AI in particular is very bad with managing ATB so you have to babysit the AI a lot. There really needs to be an option that lets you tweak the AI behavior sort of like the Tales games allow you to. Because right now the AI acts like an idiot with it's meter.

Oh I didn't even notice the Atb bar tbh. I was playing it like an action game. Will get back to it again later today.

Just now, Pureis said:

Oh I didn't even notice the Atb bar tbh. I was playing it like an action game. Will get back to it again later today.

Yeah, it's underneath the health bar. Normal attacks fill the ATB meter and once a meter bar is full you can use an ability. Barret seems to build meter much slower than Cloud so you're going to want to keep an eye on his ATB to make sure he's not wasting it doing stupid shit.

This game would work better with a feature similar to XII’s gambit system which they’ve already done before. Doesent need to be anywhere near as complex but id like to control what Barrett or other party members do in very very specific situations. Having to switch to Barrett during the boss Just to cast thunder because he wouldn’t do it, or having to shoot Ariel turrets, is stupid.

makes me wonder if it’s intentional so it gives you a reason to switch between party members. Feels lazy and unecessary 

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Nobody said it wasn't.  It still doesn't take 15min...

Not even close. I did a second run through, a speed run basically, skipping all cutscenes and it was still at least a good 25 mins even after knowing everything I need to do.

Edited by Delita
1 minute ago, Delita said:

Not even close. I did a second run through, a speed run basically, skipping all cutscenes and it was still at least a good 25 mins even after knowing everything I need to do.

Yep.  It took me about an hour or so the first time through.  Though I took some time to mess around with stuff and look at the visuals.  Definitely much longer than the original.  2nd time through was still around 30-35 min.

I think the camera could be an issue in some cases.  I put it on 3 because I think it works best for me like that.  But I'm sure as we play the game and get more comfortable with the controls, it'll be easier to keep the camera where we need it to be.

You guys know there's a dash button, right?

I was skipping scenes as well because there's no point in watching them now.

How long are the fights taking you guys? Because an average fight lasts like 20 seconds. Use your abilities more, you build ATB fast and Abilities is where all your damage is. Normal attacks are just for building meter. Only normal attack that does decent damage is charged attacks.

Demo does not take 30 minutes to play through...

5 minutes ago, Sabo said:

How long are the fights taking you guys? Because an average fight lasts like 20 seconds. Use your abilities more, you build ATB fast and Abilities is where all your damage is. Normal attacks are just for building meter. Only normal attack that does decent damage is charged attacks.

Yea... we didn't know you could dash... didn't know you could skip cutscenes... and we didn't know certain attacks do more damage.  Our bad :roll: 

5 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Obviously. But even with that said it doesent come anywhere close to 15 min on a first playthrough or even a 2nd playthrough. I checked YouTube and all streams of the demo playthrough I found are 45mim-1hr+

4 minutes ago, Delita said:

Obviously. But even with that said it doesent come anywhere close to 15 min on a first playthrough or even a 2nd playthrough. I checked YouTube and all streams of the demo playthrough I found are 45mim-1hr+

He rushed through the game in 15min....didn't watch any of the cutscenes, but he's an expert at the combat and how to defeat enemies in the quickest way possible... on his first playthrough...

Edited by Remij_
  • Haha 1
Just now, Remij_ said:

Game isn't complex. Did you forget who you're talking to?

1 minute ago, Sabo said:

Game isn't complex. Did you forget who you're talking to?

No I didn't.  I'm talking to someone who skipped every cutscene... knew exactly how to play, and dashed his way through the demo, on his first playthrough...  then went on a forum to say how quick of a demo it was right after someone said they were surprised how long it was.

You want to act like watching the cutscenes isn't part of the experience and that learning to play the game efficiently isn't a thing... go right ahead.  But don't act like this is a 15min fucking demo...

I think what REALLY happened was that you played the game normally, and just wanted to argue some stupid shit on this forum because you can't and wont admit that you like it.  Fucking master of mechanics after his first 15min playthrough.. :tom: 

When it comes to combat systems? Yeah, I know my shit. 

Mock all you want but anyone who has has paid any attention to the things I talk about when it comes to combat systems knows I'm not talking out of my ass.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

No I didn't.  I'm talking to someone who skipped every cutscene... knew exactly how to play, and dashed his way through the demo, on his first playthrough...  then went on a forum to say how quick of a demo it was right after someone said they were surprised how long it was.

You want to act like watching the cutscenes isn't part of the experience and that learning to play the game efficiently isn't a thing... go right ahead.  But don't act like this is a 15min fucking demo...

I think what REALLY happened was that you played the game normally, and just wanted to argue some stupid shit on this forum because you can't and wont admit that you like it.  Fucking master of mechanics after his first 15min playthrough.. :tom: 

I already said the game wasn't bad. After the massive disappointment of KH3 I wrote this game off completely. After the demo though, I'm willing to give the game a chance. So you can fuck right off with this false accusation.