Tomonobu Itagaki hopes to reveal his next project this year

34 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Fair enough to disagree. But simple question. Who has the bigger chance to like Nioh, a fan of soulsbourne (for lack of better term)  esque games, or a fan of hack n slash Diablo esque games. The gameplay for Diablo and Nioh is polar opposite. The loot is there as a thing to grind and create a loop for the core gameplay, it is not the gameplay though. It's why you see loot driven mechanics in pretty much every genre now (Destiny - FPS, Divison - 3rd Person Shooter, Diablo - hack n slash, Nioh - Souls esque Action RPG, heck even shit like Steamworld Dig for 2D sidescrollers)

Do you not understand what gameplay hook means?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably so, his last game has a 43% metacritic score.

Please don't sound like Jerry. One is enough.         

I did understand which is why I pointed out you were talking the broader sense and I wasn't. In the broader sense, yeah, they are alike. They share a lot of similar systems.    Their hooks a

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Do you not understand what gameplay hook means?

I do, so using your own logic, you really should go play Destiny and Divison. They are very much like Nioh. Guess it won't matter if you don't like FPS or 3rd person cover shooters cause the gameplay 'hook' is the same. 

Just now, madmaltese said:

I do, so using your own logic, you really should go play Destiny and Divison. They are very much like Nioh. Guess it won't matter if you don't like FPS or 3rd person cover shooters cause the gameplay 'hook' is the same. 

I have them both. Their hooks are the same as Nioh's. Also the same as Borderlands, Diablo, Anthem... Etc.

I literally told you I wasn't talking about Nioh and Souls in a broader sense. I was talking about the hook. 

Don't get snippy with me because you just now finally caught up... Not my fault. I tried to tell you, you were just so dead set on trying to "prove a point".

8 minutes ago, Sabo said:

I have them both. Their hooks are the same as Nioh's. Also the same as Borderlands, Diablo, Anthem... Etc.

I literally told you I wasn't talking about Nioh and Souls in a broader sense. I was talking about the hook. 

Don't get snippy with me because you just now finally caught up... Not my fault. I tried to tell you, you were just so dead set on trying to "prove a point".

Please don't sound like Jerry. One is enough. 

• Haha 1

Does Jerry have to repeat himself a lot with you too?

I'm still not convinced you actually know what a gameplay hook is.

I'm going to name 3 games. I'll go with recent games with simple hooks so I don't come across as condescending because I'm really not trying to be.

Gears of War

Resident Evil 

Devil May Cry 

I swear to God if you get these right I'm going to be upset with you LOL...

6 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Does Jerry have to repeat himself a lot with you too?

I'm still not convinced you actually know what a gameplay hook is.

I'm going to name 3 games. I'll go with recent games with simple hooks so I don't come across as condescending because I'm really not trying to be.

Gears of War

Resident Evil 

Devil May Cry 

I swear to God if you get these right I'm going to be upset with you LOL...

and I'm still not convinced you know what genres are. 

In the other thread you were saying SRPGS like Valkyrie Chonicles aren't JRPGS (LOL) and here you are saying that Diablo isn't a hack n slash game. I would really love to know what is a hack n slash if it's not diablo tbh. 

You've jumped on this 'hook' argument once you realised how wrong you initially were. Your intial post I replied to was you saying things like Nioh is nothing like a Souls game and more like Diablo, which is as ridiculous now as it was then. It's as ridiculous as me saying that Destiny is nothing like Halo and more like Nioh. Now if I said that Destiny's loot driven mechanics are more like Diablo then Halo, then no shit. But that's not what you said until well after. 

12 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

and I'm still not convinced you know what genres are. 

In the other thread you were saying SRPGS like Valkyrie Chonicles aren't JRPGS (LOL) and here you are saying that Diablo isn't a hack n slash game. I would really love to know what is a hack n slash if it's not diablo tbh. 

You've jumped on this 'hook' argument once you realised how wrong you initially were. Your intial post I replied to was you saying things like Nioh is nothing like a Souls game and more like Diablo, which is as ridiculous now as it was then. It's as ridiculous as me saying that Destiny is nothing like Halo and more like Nioh. Now if I said that Destiny's loot driven mechanics are more like Diablo then Halo, then no shit. But that's not what you said until well after. 

Valkyrie Chronicles is an SRPG....

I've never seen anyone refer to Diablo as a Hack n Slash. I've seen it called a Dungeon Crawler but its actual genre is Action RPG. A Hack N Slash is something like Dynasty Warriors.

I was comparing the hooks... Which I've had to repeat 4 times now. In retrospect I should've made this clear from the start but whatever... This shitstorm already started so I'm just riding it out.

5 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Valkyrie Chronicles is an SRPG....

I've never seen anyone refer to Diablo as a Hack n Slash. I've seen it called a Dungeon Crawler but its actual genre is Action RPG. A Hack N Slash is something like Dynasty Warriors.

I was comparing the hooks... Which I've had to repeat 4 times now. In retrospect I should've made this clear from the start but whatever... This shitstorm already started so I'm just riding it out.

Man now we are really deviating lol. Yes, Valkyrie is a strategy role playing game, but it's also a JRPG. Final Fantasy/DQ is a turn based role playing game, but also a JRPG, Tales is a real time role play game, but also a JRPG. The variation are just their combat systems but they are all JRPGs. 

Regarding Diablo, literally the first words mentioned after the title:

Diablo III is a hack-and-slash action role-playing game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_III

But you're not wrong, it is also an action rpg. Same as many games are rpgs, but there is many variants. Hack N Slash is Diablo, Torchlight 2, titan quest, that free PC one I always forget the name of, etc. 

Dynasty Warriors is also hack N slash though. Diablo and the like are isometric and DW is 3rd person. One has RPG elements and one doesn't (or to a lesser extent anyway). 

Since you've said you're comparing specific hooks I've already said that's fine. Personally I don't really have any interest in continuing this tbh, I get what you're saying and hopefully you understood why I disagreed given your initial post.

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Man now we are really deviating lol. Yes, Valkyrie is a strategy role playing game, but it's also a JRPG. Final Fantasy/DQ is a turn based role playing game, but also a JRPG, Tales is a real time role play game, but also a JRPG. The variation are just their combat systems but they are all JRPGs. 

Regarding Diablo, literally the first words mentioned after the title:

Diablo III is a hack-and-slash action role-playing game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_III

But you're not wrong, it is also an action rpg. Same as many games are rpgs, but there is many variants. Hack N Slash is Diablo, Torchlight 2, titan quest, that free PC one I always forget the name of, etc. 

Dynasty Warriors is also hack N slash though. Diablo and the like are isometric and DW is 3rd person. One has RPG elements and one doesn't (or to a lesser extent anyway). 

Since you've said you're comparing specific hooks I've already said that's fine. Personally I don't really have any interest in continuing this tbh, I get what you're saying and hopefully you understood why I disagreed given your initial post.

I did understand which is why I pointed out you were talking the broader sense and I wasn't. In the broader sense, yeah, they are alike. They share a lot of similar systems.

Their hooks are very different though and I tend to separate games in the same genre by thier hooks because they give games... Hmm... Hard to answer... Hooks are definitely part of the gameplay but they're a bit more important than just that IMO. They're like the heartbeat for the gameplay.

They're what gives a game an identity? Value? Not sure what the proper word would be but they're the thing that keeps you playing the game but can separate it from other similar games.

I realized then though that I should reiterate what I meant by specifically mentioning the hook but it was too late for that. The conversation took on a life of its own and was out of my hands.

• Like 1