XseX is gonna automatically add HDR and up to 120fps to older games

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

It's really not. 

In some ways I feel it is.  Mostly because a lot of people don't even know what it really does and a lot of people who praise it don't even have sets that are capable of delivering a transformative image.  Also the fact that half the games out there that "support" HDR don't REALLY support it and are just barely past SDR... yet people claim there's a huge difference.  I always laugh at that.

Basically my opinion on it is that it's absolutely incredible looking when done properly, and there's quite a few games that do... but it's still a long way from being ideal.  There's still far too much variation between sets and even the content themselves to accurately describe the technology as a whole.  We'll get there though.  The games and content that do it right unquestionably look better though.

On the topic of Series X's AI generated HDR tonemapping, I think it's actually incredible, and will likely look better than many games "attempt" at HDR.  I'm really excited for this, because if I'm honest, this would be a really good solution for PCs in the meantime until we can get to a point where the majority of content created is HDR by default.  This is also far better than the fake attempt at creating HDR from SDR images in some TVs, which adds input lag because it has to process the image after it's been sent to the TV...whereas this is actually done on the GPU during runtime and can directly access game data to determine the values.

I've no doubt in my mind MS is using the INT4 and INT8 capability of the Series X (Direct ML) to do this, and there's no reason why AMD and Nvidia couldn't do this on PC with the same tech for AMD and Tensor cores on Nvidia.

I guess we'll see what the quality is like, but if MS can pull this off, and it looks appropriately better, then I think this is a fantastic direction to head in.

11 minutes ago, ghostz said:

I think it is. In both movies & gaming. Gimme a good comparison video. I have HDR on my TV and phone. Maybe it requires OLED, which my phone is, but it’s not 50+ inches. 

OLEDs help, in all honesty.  A good HDR source material and an OLED TV produces some of the best picture you can possibly get on a display.

1 minute ago, ghostz said:

I think it is. In both movies & gaming. Gimme a good comparison video. I have HDR on my TV and phone. Maybe it requires OLED, which my phone is, but it’s not 50+ inches. 

It strikingly alters the lighting, color and contrast makeup of an image, you can even tell the difference by capturing it with a stardard camera. While you don't see it in HDR you can see the effect it has. 

Qukvpv4.jpg

9IfjmhW.jpg

1gtOdX0.jpg

QCdJsdD.jpg

21 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

It strikingly alters the lighting, color and contrast makeup of an image, you can even tell the difference by capturing it with a stardard camera. While you don't see it in HDR you can see the effect it has. 

Qukvpv4.jpg

9IfjmhW.jpg

1gtOdX0.jpg

QCdJsdD.jpg

Is HDR on the bottom? I think both bottom images look worse tbh. Like I’m using the vibrate setting on my tv. 

HDR looks amazing when done right, and is best viewed with OLED or a very high end bright LCD. I prefer OLED and if you're not impressed then I'm afraid you bought a TV with inadequate HDR support.

4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

HDR looks amazing when done right, and is best viewed with OLED or a very high end bright LCD. I prefer OLED and if you're not impressed then I'm afraid you bought a TV with inadequate HDR support.

No, it’s just 90% of the time HDR is done poorly I think really. 

28 minutes ago, ghostz said:

Is HDR on the bottom? I think both bottom images look worse tbh. Like I’m using the vibrate setting on my tv. 

The point was not to showcase the image itself but the fact that there is a noticeable difference that even a conventional camera can discern. 

It doesn't look like that to the eye. 

Hdr > 4k > rtx

You can tell on the splash screen when a game has hdr . Its the most immediately noticeable technique this gen .

If xbox really will add it on a system level that would make older games look incredible. Especially the ones they up the res and fr on .