XBox has never been so close to going third party

They should abandon hardware at this point and focus on gamepass. I assume that's their biggest stream of revenue in their gaming department. I can't imagine they're making much off hardware sales.

• Upvote 1

I said this in another one of your threads. 

On 2020-07-30 at 6:40 PM, Teh_Diplomat said:

It's from the fact that at this point Microsoft - as a whole, not the Xbox gaming division; must be looking at all their money sunk into hardware, and marketing in order to compete in a very expensive and risky market, along with the numbers that come their competitor's sales compared to their own; and start to realize GamePass is where they are headed long term.

Do I think they'll abandon the Xbox 1? Not in the traditional sense; rather they'll just expand Gamepass onto other platforms, and provide firmware updates and the like for the Xbox1 years down the line. Hell they supported Windows XP until 2014.

One thing is clear, they're not interested (by virtue of their actions) in truly competing with Sony and Nintendo at this point.

It's like a sport team. You ask the owner, the General Manager, the players, the star(s) on the team: "You guys think you have a serious shot this year?"

They'll answer yes, but the truth is they may be starting out a rookie - and want to develop them; they may have had a roster overhaul, or new management, or are rebuilding with draft picks, but we know they don't stand a chance. However, you can't operate and tell people: your fans, your employees in the building, your team: "yeah, not this year guys".

Microsoft has too numerous of studios that don't have the pedigree of AAA calibre titles, they don't have a flagship title clear as I can tell, that you require an Xbox in order to enjoy. How confident are they, in this one particular field/division of their entire company that they want to sink billions more into without any payoff. At least with Gamepass you can see the 'Netflix' model and understand how that could work out in their interest in the long-term.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Ike said:

They should abandon hardware at this point and focus on gamepass. I assume that's their biggest stream of revenue in their gaming department. I can't imagine they're making much off hardware sales.

I hope they wing it and go back to exclusives so sw might be interesting again but all points to abandoning consoles and lose like sega. 

I think third-parties must be quite irritated at the prospect that PS5 will outsell Xbox Series S/X by a significant margin.

They NEED multiple platforms to get the sales numbers they want.

Microsoft told them they have to develop their next-gen game for two skus, and now Microsoft doesn't appear like they care all that much about saving their hardware platform.

I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox execs are getting phone calls from the heads of Activision, EA, and Ubisoft with their execs screaming "who going to pay us back for all the money we spent on tailoring and testing the game for consoles that you're leaving DOA at launch?"

Microsoft needs to reveal the Xbox Series S right now, and put that as the main face of the brand. They need to stop showing the XSX as the primary console.