Exercise thread

The benefits of exercising are amazing? Well no shit lol

anyhow, the best advice: have an actual plan. Don’t be one of those retards who just does whatever. Track your results, learn about the effects of periodizing (get the benefits of strength and hypertrophy) and when/why you should do hiit, instead of steady state cardio. Also, diet is the most important component. I don’t care how “perfect” a program is, it’s garbage if you are eating too little/too much and neglect macros. 

Just now, -GD- said:

The benefits of exercising are amazing? Well no shit lol

anyhow, the best advice: have an actual plan. Don’t be one of those retards who just does whatever. Track your results, learn about the effects of periodizing (get the benefits of strength and hypertrophy) and when/why you should do hiit, instead of steady state cardio. Also, diet is the most important component. I don’t care how “perfect” a program is, it’s garbage if you are eating too little/too much and neglect macros. 

I've actually been reading into a bunch of stuff related to this. Benefits of exercise aren't clear to most people, though they have a vague idea that its good in general. 30 mins at least of walking/running at 50 - 75% of heart rate is recommended to begin causing serious brain changes.  

also, I've been thinking about diet...I agree that you absolutely need to watch what you eat (definitely no soda). However, I am also convinced that you cannot diet alone and absolutely need exercise, specifically moderate-intense aerobic training daily. The reason is because the exercise is actually causing changes to your hormones and hunger levels, reducing cravings. Most people fundamentally cannot lose weight on diet alone, which is what most people don't understand. Cravings and hunger are not a choice. 

7 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

I've actually been reading into a bunch of stuff related to this. Benefits of exercise aren't clear to most people, though they have a vague idea that its good in general. 30 mins at least of walking/running at 50 - 75% of heart rate is recommended to begin causing serious brain changes.  

also, I've been thinking about diet...I agree that you absolutely need to watch what you eat (definitely no soda). However, I am also convinced that you cannot diet alone and absolutely need exercise, specifically moderate-intense aerobic training daily. The reason is because the exercise is actually causing changes to your hormones and hunger levels, reducing cravings. Most people fundamentally cannot lose weight on diet alone, which is what most people don't understand. Cravings and hunger are not a choice. 

A 30 minute walk will slightly increase serotonin, but it will burn very few calories (100-150?). the exercises that truly boost testosterone, and have a huge impact on the endocrine system, are compound moves (can be from weights or calisthenics). Your legs and overall back net the largest results (hence why squats and deadlifts are widely praised). 

As for diet:

man A (20 lbs over weight) does no exercise; eats 500 calories less than his maintenance amount.

man B (20 lbs overweight) walks an hour a day. Eats 500 calories more than his maintenance amount.

who will Look/feel better? 

Man A. A lot of men don’t realize that just reducing body fat, alone, can significantly improve your teaosterone-to-estrogen ratio. There’s a strong correlation between abdominal fat and estrogen production. Therefore, fat loss from dieting > a short walk with little regard for diet.

2 minutes ago, -GD- said:

A 30 minute walk will slightly increase serotonin, but it will burn very few calories (100-150?). the exercises that truly boost testosterone, and have a huge impact on the endocrine system, are compound moves (can be from weights or calisthenics). Your legs and overall back net the largest results (hence why squats and deadlifts are widely praised). 

As for diet:

man A (20 lbs over weight) does no exercise; eats 500 calories less than his maintenance amount.

man B (20 lbs overweight) walks an hour a day. Eats 500 calories more than his maintenance amount.

who will Look/feel better? 

Man A. A lot of men don’t realize that just reducing body fat, alone, can significantly improve your teaosterone-to-estrogen ratio. There’s a strong correlation between abdominal fat and estrogen production. Therefore, fat loss from dieting > a short walk with little regard for diet.

Now you're making me horny with specifics. 

The walk won't do much, but the key is "30 min at 50 - 75% of your maximum heart rate". That means you will be sweating and losing calories. A 30 min brisk walk or jog at that heart rate will be more like losing 300+ calories, AND also it will activate the biological changes it needs to. Good-level cardio is proven to reduce hunger levels by reducing the hunger hormone Peptide YY and also the hunger hormone ghrelin. Lifting alone might reduce ghrelin, but not Peptide YY. 

anaerobic exercise will boost testosterone, but everyone needs aerobic exercise mixed in. The two are not the same because the heart is not pumping as much and the same signals aren't being sent out in response by cells in your body. 

As for the hypothetical example, man A obviously. But the thing is, it's not that clear cut because time and body homeostasis effects this. If man B keeps constantly exercising, perhaps in a year his body will turn into a natural 500 calorie deficit, while man A's body may reverse and turn into a 500 calorie surplus. 

3 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

Now you're making me horny with specifics. 

The walk won't do much, but the key is "30 min at 50 - 75% of your maximum heart rate". That means you will be sweating and losing calories. A 30 min brisk walk or jog at that heart rate will be more like losing 300+ calories, AND also it will activate the biological changes it needs to. Good-level cardio is proven to reduce hunger levels by reducing the hunger hormone Peptide YY and also the hunger hormone ghrelin. Lifting alone might reduce ghrelin, but not Peptide YY. 

anaerobic exercise will boost testosterone, but everyone needs aerobic exercise mixed in. The two are not the same because the heart is not pumping as much and the same signals aren't being sent out in response by cells in your body. 

As for the hypothetical example, man A obviously. But the thing is, it's not that clear cut because time and body homeostasis effects this. If man B keeps constantly exercising, perhaps in a year his body will turn into a natural 500 calorie deficit, while man A's body may reverse and turn into a 500 calorie surplus. 

Correct about the need for both aerobic/anaerobic training. I also toss in mobility work to strengthen the joints. 

Bottom line: there’s no “one size fits all” approach. 

for example: when I feel the muscles are shrinking, I increase my calories and hypertrophy training. When I feel weak, despite having size, I switch to a 5x5 format for strength. When I feel the belt getting tighter, I drop the calories by 500 a day and do more super sets (benefits of both strength and cardio). When I have a trip, where I’ll be shirtless, and I want to hit single digit body fat, I drop the calories by 1,000 a day and do hiit (in conjunction with my strength training). I do this for several weeks. Then, on the day before my trip, I carb load and spend a good 90 minutes on hypertrophy training. It’s a trick a lot of fitness models use for shoots. Super effective!

but all in all, if you are seeing/feeling results, that’s great! If you hit a plateau, or your goals change, always experiment. 

Btw, my routine is basic af, but effective 

i super set train 3/4 days a week, with an upper/lower split:

examples: mon/thurs upper; tues/fri lower; yoga Saturday 

Most workouts don’t exceed 45 minutes (doesn’t include warming up). So, 50-55 minutes? But they kick my ass. 

my former roommate (the small one with the afro) turning vegan at the time, but he was cool about it. but he always said:"Eat to live, not live to eat". And I hated it. :D  I love eating, eating is my life.

Edited by kazi of Skalitz
12 minutes ago, kazi of Skalitz said:

my former roommate (the small one with the afro) turning vegan at the time, but he was cool about it. but he always said:"Eat to live, not live to eat". And I hated it. :D  I love eating, eating is my life.

We have no direct control. Eating is only 15% an attitude problem, 85% a biology, chemical, and hormonal problem. 

33 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

i fell off my exercise plan hard and haven't done anything in over a month. I also haven't been to my local parkour gym since the lockdown started, and i've always gotten a great cardio focused workout from there.

My gym forces us to wear masks during cardio :D anyone know if this will cause side effects?

1 hour ago, SheepKilla said:

We have no direct control. Eating is only 15% an attitude problem, 85% a biology, chemical, and hormonal problem. 

eating is not a problem, eating is everything. it can be the solution, the question, the answer, whatever you like.

2 hours ago, -GD- said:

0 side effects from training with a mask. Though, if does make hiit a bit harder. However, that’s like athlete-level hiit.

That doesn't sound healthy. Doesn't the body require oxygen to even move for exercise? I usually take my mask slightly off my nose for a few seconds at gym just to breathe some oxygen in. I usually sip some water too.