Did BOTW start a new sub genre?

1 hour ago, Remij said:

How old are you Gouko?

I remember playing Zelda in 1988, when I was 5 :smoke: 

And whoever is saying no... FUCK THAT..  Zelda 1 is as true of an open world game as there can be.  Literally throwing you in and not hand-holding/guiding you in any way.

Agreed. Zelda was incredible! That game, along with Metroid, were the first titles to give me a sense of adventure. 

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Ramza said:

Lmfao, ignorant ass Sheep get it's first open world experience, one of the most popular genre on the market before BOTW was even a thing. Yet he think it's a concept invented by Nintendo in 2017. :rofl:

There are several blatant clones out there bro 

48 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Agreed. Zelda was incredible! That game, along with Metroid, were the first titles to give me a sense of adventure. 

For real.  When you made progression in those games, you felt damn good about it!

BOTW is a good step back in the direction of the original, and even ALttP.  They just need to reign in the scale a bit and make the overworld more interesting... and of course have huge classic style dungeons.

BOTW 2, I imagine will be more of the same as BOTW, but I would love to be wrong on that and get hit with a Majora's Mask type game that dares to be a bit different.  Zelda is at it's best when it does that.  BOTW2 will be amazing regardless :wow2: 

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

For real.  When you made progression in those games, you felt damn good about it!

BOTW is a good step back in the direction of the original, and even ALttP.  They just need to reign in the scale a bit and make the overworld more interesting... and of course have huge classic style dungeons.

BOTW 2, I imagine will be more of the same as BOTW, but I would love to be wrong on that and get hit with a Majora's Mask type game that dares to be a bit different.  Zelda is at it's best when it does that.  BOTW2 will be amazing regardless :wow2: 

i didn't care for BOTW because it lacked traditional dungeons. I give nintendo props for, at least, mixing things up. I hope BOTW 2 brings back real dungeons and challenging puzzles. 

32 minutes ago, ghostz life matters said:

There are several blatant clones out there bro 

Besides Immortal Fenyx Rising I totally disagree.

Genshin Impact is a gacha MMO, it's so different from BOTW it's out of the question, at best you could relate some gameplay elements to BOTW but that's about it, the rest of the experience is totally different. 

Biomutant is typical open world game that's not any different than most out there with RPG mechanics and crafting systems. Nothing that BOTW invented or should be credited for.

So we have one game copying or taking inspiration from BOTW. Big deal. You do realize open world games is one of the most biggest genre out there. BOTW hasn't invented anything besides some interesting physic and elemental mechanics. If you think the genre owe it all to BOTW you are fucking ignorant. 

Edited by Ramza
3 hours ago, Remij said:

How old are you Gouko?

I remember playing Zelda in 1988, when I was 5 :smoke: 

And whoever is saying no... FUCK THAT..  Zelda 1 is as true of an open world game as there can be.  Literally throwing you in and not hand-holding/guiding you in any way.

I was 5 when the game released.  Zelda 1 is a true open world game.  Felt like you were actually discovering everything yourself instead of how most open world games are today where they literally tell you where to go. 

Edited by Goukosan
  • Like 1
Just now, Goukosan said:

I was 5 when the game released.  Zelda 1 is a true open world game.  Felt like you were actually discovering everything yourself instead of how most open world games are today when they literally tell you where to go. 

In the truest sense of the word it's definitely open world. :wow2: 

49 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

i didn't care for BOTW because it lacked traditional dungeons. I give nintendo props for, at least, mixing things up. I hope BOTW 2 brings back real dungeons and challenging puzzles. 

In BOTW the overworld is the dungeon, so many of the puzzles you need to solve to even find a shrine would have been a puzzle in a dungeon.... Some of the side quests puzzles are amazing as well.  (Event Tide island comes to mind) 

It would have been nice to have all of that AND 8 traditional dungeons too... that would have been superb. 

Oh and the physics, element and chemistry engines in the game is top notch.... alot of a dev time went into that and crafting how it all interacts with the vast world.   

With that system in place now... hopefully it opens up to BOTW 2 having traditional dungeons + everything else BOTW 1 had. 

Edited by Goukosan
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

Zelda, Metroid and Simon's Quest (Castlevania 2).... those games literally felt like you were crafting your own adventure in a vast world.... amazing sense of discovery. 

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

In BOTW the overworld is the dungeon, so many of the puzzles you need to solve to even find a shrine would have been a puzzle in a dungeon.... Some of the side quests puzzles are amazing as well.  (Event Tide island comes to mind) 

It would have been nice to have all of that AND 8 traditional dungeons too... that would have been superb. 

i got bored because i felt 0 challenge with its tombs, and the environments were so dull. i love that you can climb anything, and i hope they keep that feature in future games. however, BOTW just didn't resonate with me. i gave the game 2 chances too.. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

Zelda, Metroid and Simon's Quest (Castlevania 2).... those games literally felt like you were crafting your own adventure in a vast world.... amazing sense of discovery. 

YES! simon's quest was GOD TIER! this track is still one of my favorites:

1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

i got bored because i felt 0 challenge with its tombs, and the environments were so dull. i love that you can climb anything, and i hope they keep that feature in future games. however, BOTW just didn't resonate with me. i gave the game 2 chances too.. 

I realized early on that the over world was the focus of this game and started going every and anywhere.... truly reminded me of Zelda 1 in that regard.  Hopefully part 2 add dungeons while keeping the vastness of BOTW 1.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Goukosan said:

I realized early on that the over world was the focus of this game and started going every and anywhere.... truly reminded me of Zelda 1 in that regard.  Hopefully part 2 add dungeons while keeping the vastness of BOTW 1.

that would be the perfect mix! link's awakening remake satiated my zelda fix. 

7 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

YES! simon's quest was GOD TIER! this track is still one of my favorites:

I actually prefer this type of Castlevania to the Metroidvania style that Konami stuck with for decades. 

An open world Castlevania game in the vein of Simon's Quest would be epic. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Goukosan said:

I actually prefer this type of Castlevania to the Metroidvania style that Konami stuck with for decades. 

An open world Castlevania game in the vein of Simon's Quest would be epic. 

SOTN was the only one i loved, because of the inverted castle. fucking genius! but yeah, i agree. and i know i'm in the minority here, but i would love another zelda 2: adventures of link. i never understood the hate. 

5 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

SOTN was the only one i loved, because of the inverted castle. fucking genius! but yeah, i agree. and i know i'm in the minority here, but i would love another zelda 2: adventures of link. i never understood the hate. 

Zelda 2 is a phenomenal game :aitch: 

Again.. when Zelda dares to be different it excels :wow2: 

• aitch 1