Battlefield franchise has the beat theme out of any shooter out there

24 minutes ago, Chicano3000X said:

Thems fighting words :mad:

Their campaigns have been absolutely trash since the 4th one, and their MP is the same shit over and over 3 times now.

What BATTLEFIELD needs to do... is go unfathomably massive and do something unprecedented.  Multiple instances of online war that lasts for an entire game "season" (something like 3 months).  A huge 10,000 player battle mode on an absolutely MASSIVE map fighting battles all across a country on multiple fronts... land, sea, and air.  For that season you sign up and pick a side.. and then once you're enlisted.. you're committed to that side until the "season" ends.  Then you can choose what classes you want to play in however you want.  Each side can call for specialized soldiers with the skills the require. Then on the map you can view which territories you control, and where you need to contribute to gain control over the other team.  So you'll continually have people dropping in and out contributing.  There will be enough people constantly playing that the war never stops.. and the more you fight the more you rank up and all that shit.  It's completely persistent, the war always raging on and battling until one side either wins or the "war" comes to an end and then the side which controlled the most points wins.

Something like that, I dunno :beckham:

Edited by Remij

Great thread :wow2: BF music is pretty underrated overall. The campaigns in particular might not be great but the music was very effective and making the memorable/interesting moments stand out. Its not just another military/war theme where they go for the bombastic michael bay/hollywood type of track. They're more subdued and focused on ambience/atmosphere

I expect good things from BF2042's soundtrack, its being composed by the Joker/Chernobyl composer

https://pitchfork.com/news/hildur-gudnadottir-joker-chernobyl-scores-new-video-game-battlefield-2042/

14 minutes ago, Remij said:

Their campaigns have been absolutely trash since the 4th one, and their MP is the same shit over and over 3 times now.

What BATTLEFIELD needs to do... is go unfathomably massive and do something unprecedented.  Multiple instances of online war that lasts for an entire game "season" (something like 3 months).  A huge 10,000 player battle mode on an absolutely MASSIVE map fighting battles all across a country on multiple fronts... land, sea, and air.  For that season you sign up and pick a side.. and then once you're enlisted, you can choose what classes you want to play in.  Each side can call for specialized soldiers with the skills the require. Then on the map you can view which territories you control, and where you need to contribute to gain control over the other team.  So you'll continually have people dropping in and out contributing.  There will be enough people constantly playing that the war never stops.. and the more you fight the more you rank up and all that shit.  It's completely persistent, the war always raging on and battling until one side either wins or the "war" comes to an end and then the side which controlled the most points wins.

Dude you just described a game that would literally be impossible to make. How they could possibly have 10,000 player servers where players are constantly engaged with one another, not even the biggest MMOs have anywhere near that many players on a map. I can't even imagine how much of a nightmare that would be to balance even if it were possible from a networking/latency perspective.

BF2042 doubles the player count, has a bunch dynamic weather events that can completely change the flow of a match, and also has a whole component based around user generated modes which is a first for the series. Its adding/changing more than a lot of other shooter sequels.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Dude you just described a game that would literally be impossible to make. How they could possibly have 10,000 player servers where players are constantly engaged with one another, not even the biggest MMOs have anywhere near that many players on a map. I can't even imagine how much of a nightmare that would be to balance even if it were possible from a networking/latency perspective.

BF2042 doubles the player count, has a bunch dynamic weather events that can completely change the flow of a match, and also has a whole component based around user generated modes which is a first for the series. Its adding/changing more than a lot of other shooter sequels.

Well... I think that's bullshit.  I think it's possible, and we're now realizing the technology that can allow for it.

There are giant servers out there solving FAR MORE complicated problems than 10,000 people in a server my dude.  The reason why it isn't happening yet is because no game company has built the software stack to do it.  The "country" could be broken up into small sections roughly the size of a current BF game... as you transition over the terrain, you're seamlessly integrated into the next server.  Think of how open worlds load their data depending on which hexagon or quadrant you are in, and the direction you're heading.  Same thing applies here, you're heading into another zone, and the server communicates with the other to seamlessly drop in and out, allowing you to travel across multiple zones... not that you'd actually be travelling across the entire country regardless as you'd likely die before you got too many nodes away from where you spawned.  Since players are constantly dying and moving through different areas, you could ensure that no server is going to max out through cooldowns.  

Basically, it's a bunch of smaller BF instances stitched together.  Each of the "nodes" that you take over are a collection of servers that keep tabs on which side is currently in control of those areas and they report to a master server which monitors them and keeps track of the meta data and who is "winning"..

I mean cmon I know it's not as simple as I'm making it out to be.. obviously... but that's my entire point... do something that's never been done before.  I believe the technology exists right now to make it happen... but no developers have done it because why go that big when you can simply double the size of the previous one and call it a day?

Make an actual fucking WAR going on... not some little multiplayer skirmishes.  Something BIGGER.. something MORE than just "oh we won a match"... make something like.. man, "I contributed to that 3 month long war and we won!"  What a fucking event!  You know like how those massive Wars happen in EVE Online?  People contributing to some massive event.

I guess basically what I'm saying is make a Battlefield MMOFPS :beckham:

Edited by Remij
12 minutes ago, Remij said:

Well... I think that's bullshit.  I think it's possible, and we're now realizing the technology that can allow for it.

There are giant servers out there solving FAR MORE complicated problems than 10,000 people in a server my dude.  The reason why it isn't happening yet is because no game company has built the software stack to do it.  The "country" could be broken up into small sections roughly the size of a current BF game... as you transition over the terrain, you're seamlessly integrated into the next server.  Think of how open worlds load their data depending on which hexagon or quadrant you are in, and the direction you're heading.  Same thing applies here, you're heading into another zone, and the server communicates with the other to seamlessly drop in and out, allowing you to travel across multiple zones... not that you'd actually be travelling across the entire country regardless as you'd likely die before you got too many nodes away from where you spawned.  Since players are constantly dying and moving through different areas, you could ensure that no server is going to max out through cooldowns.  

Basically, it's a bunch of smaller BF instances stitched together.  Each of the "nodes" that you take over are a collection of servers that keep tabs on which side is currently in control of those areas and they report to a master server which monitors them and keeps track of the meta data and who is "winning"..

I mean cmon I know it's not as simple as I'm making it out to be.. obviously... but that's my entire point... do something that's never been done before.  I believe the technology exists right now to make it happen... but no developers have done it because why go that big when you can simply double the size of the previous one and call it a day?

Make an actual fucking WAR going on... not some little multiplayer skirmishes.  Something BIGGER.. something MORE than just "oh we won a match"... make something like.. man, "I contributed to that 3 month long war and we won!"  What a fucking event!  You know like how those massive Wars happen in EVE Online?  People contributing to some massive event.

I guess basically what I'm saying is make a Battlefield MMOFPS :beckham:

Nah, it just wouldn't make for a 'fun' experience long term. Theres a reason MMOFPSs like Planetside are not that popular (even though the 2nd one was free).

But I would definitely like to see some kind of meta game that affects the matches themselves, and adds more dynamic elements to them. For example, they could be keeping track of which teams have won more on a specific map, and have an event where the winning team spawns with a few more vehicles (helis, tanks, etc) than the other team, so they have that as an advantage. However the flipside is that the other team gets more XP when destroying those vehicles.

Im no designer but stuff like that would change things up in a cool way I feel.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

What BATTLEFIELD needs to do... is go unfathomably massive and do something unprecedented.  Multiple instances of online war that lasts for an entire game "season" (something like 3 months).  A huge 10,000 player battle mode on an absolutely MASSIVE map fighting battles all across a country on multiple fronts... land, sea, and air.  For that season you sign up and pick a side.. and then once you're enlisted.. you're committed to that side until the "season" ends.  Then you can choose what classes you want to play in however you want.  Each side can call for specialized soldiers with the skills the require. Then on the map you can view which territories you control, and where you need to contribute to gain control over the other team.  So you'll continually have people dropping in and out contributing.  There will be enough people constantly playing that the war never stops.. and the more you fight the more you rank up and all that shit.  It's completely persistent, the war always raging on and battling until one side either wins or the "war" comes to an end and then the side which controlled the most points wins.

Sounds pretty ambitious. I wonder how big the next one is gonna feel.

For an entire country side map, we’re either gonna have to wait for a few gens to pass or just sacrifice realistic graphics and have low res models but with HUGE maps and player counts.

as for the campaign, never really been the main focus of BF. BF3 was ok, and started 4. But overall, CoD has campaigns down to science.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Great thread :wow2: BF music is pretty underrated overall. The campaigns in particular might not be great but the music was very effective and making the memorable/interesting moments stand out. Its not just another military/war theme where they go for the bombastic michael bay/hollywood type of track. They're more subdued and focused on ambience/atmosphere

I expect good things from BF2042's soundtrack, its being composed by the Joker/Chernobyl composer

https://pitchfork.com/news/hildur-gudnadottir-joker-chernobyl-scores-new-video-game-battlefield-2042/

Ya, especially when listening to BF1. It feels like a movie. Like your part of this intense battle. I like how they’re integrating music more into their matches during key events.

rempee has no clue what he's talking about. 

also I think the newer themes with the eletronic boom whoomps are trash but I love the OG 1942 theme and the one for the desert combat mod, that was my fav :bow:  El Alamein :bow: 

I think this one was the final version but I like every version

• 2 weeks later...