Apple VR/AR details: 8K panels, M1 Pro chip, $2,000+ likely

https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/16/apples-ar-vr-headset-could-be-priced-above-2000-feature-m1-pro-like-performance/

things gonna be insane for sure. Expect a VR/AR boom as soon as it’s released. 

it was rumored to be revealed this June, but it may have been pushed back to 2023 due to some issues. 

Edited by ghostz

That's pretty disappointing, considering how underwhelming the M1 Pro chip ended up performing as a gaming processor.

All the other pieces of hardware sound great. And, well........for $2,000, they better damn well better be.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

That's pretty disappointing, considering how underwhelming the M1 Pro chip ended up performing as a gaming processor.

All the other pieces of hardware sound great. And, well........for $2,000, they better damn well better be.

Yeah I mean, apple isn’t going to be developing AAA level games any time soon. I’m sure it will essentially run Apple Arcade games, maybe a little more advanced

apple really has no incentive to go into hardcore gaming, they make more revenue than ms Sony and Nintendo combined with their current offerings. 

But it will mainstream vr even more 

Edited by ghostz
2 minutes ago, ghostz said:

Yeah I mean, apple isn’t going to be developing AAA level games any time soon. I’m sure it will essentially run Apple Arcade games, maybe a little more advanced

apple really has no incentive to go into hardcore gaming, they make more revenue than ms Sony and Nintendo combined with their current offerings. 

But it will mainstream vr even more 

but, there's no reason to play an Apple Arcade game at a super-crisp 8K resolution.

I'm assuming that this must be for something else. Maybe just be its own mobile computing platform.

Its foolish to think this is going to cause any kind of boom at $2K+, come on now. Its going to be a niche product that only a few apple die hards will get.

Also exactly what kind of software does apple have to really take advantage of this? Is the game library just going to be a bunch of mobile shovelware? This has flop written all over it.

32 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its foolish to think this is going to cause any kind of boom at $2K+, come on now. Its going to be a niche product that only a few apple die hards will get.

Also exactly what kind of software does apple have to really take advantage of this? Is the game library just going to be a bunch of mobile shovelware? This has flop written all over it.

What’s the last product apple released that didn’t boom?

obviously it will be purchased via payment plans, like phones are today. I bet there’s even a 5g and a gps only one, just like the watch. 

software wise, yeah, who knows. 

Edited by ghostz

More tidbits

Display Supply Chain Consultants says

Apple’s headset will have “an innovative display configuration, with three display modules.

In January, Display Supply Chain Consultants reported that the headset will have “three display modules” comprised of two Micro OLED displays and one AMOLED panel. According to the report, the tertiary OLED panel would be used for “low-resolution peripheral vision, thereby enabling a foveated display system” based on where the user’s focus is.

As a mixed-reality device, Apple’s glasses are rumored to handle both virtual and augmented reality via a pair of high-resolution 8K screens using eye-tracking technology. The headset will reportedly feature more than a dozen cameras, according to The Information, which will project a real-world view onto the screens as if you were looking through clear glass. It will presumably use either OLED or mini LED and incorporate Apple’s Ceramic Shield coating as well.

6 minutes ago, ghostz said:

More tidbits

Display Supply Chain Consultants says

Apple’s headset will have “an innovative display configuration, with three display modules.

See, the more I think about this, the more I was thinking that this could be another type of "personal computing device" for a person who doesn't want to hold an iPad, and doesn't want to have an iMac.

You put on the glasses, and it has the MacOS menu and you run apps or a web browser. If you want to answer a phone call, or maybe open up AppleTV to watch something.

And you can multitask on "multiple screens" by just turning your head.

That way, they can justify the $2000 price.  Because as a primary gaming device, it doesn't make sense.

2 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Crapple, as always years late, more expensive and with outdated tech.

Everything about this seems cutting edge. What it will be used for is the question. 

v2 is already in the works apparently, and significantly smaller. They want to replace phones with these one day. 

Edited by ghostz