Does anyone use Chromecast?

Im looking for a solution. I have a monitor i want to put in my truck camper and im usually going places with no reception. Does the chromecast allow me to stream from my phone to the monitor without wifi or data? Fuck google for not allowing video out through USB like samsung dex.  Basically i just want to be able to watch downloaded Netflix shows with no reception or wifi. 

Edited by Cooke
3 minutes ago, Cooke said:

I'd need to buy a dock and the link google gives doesn't even work lol. 

Yeah, it looks like the docks that do comply with what Google is looking for are expensive and not worth it anyways.

It does appear that you can use the Chromecast without needing an Internet connection, but it will require a Wi-Fi hotspot in order to cast and you can't use your own phone.

Edited by lynux3
1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

Yeah, it looks like the docks that do comply with what Google is looking for are expensive and not worth it anyways.

It does appear that you can use the Chromecast without needing an Internet connection, but it will require a Wi-Fi hotspot in order to cast and you can't use your own phone.

Blah so I'm fucked haha. Thanks 

Just now, lynux3 said:

You could use your laptop if possible. You can download Netflix shows to your laptop.

Yeah I can. Just wanted to use this monitor because it's very low power and runs off USB. I can plug switch into it and it thinks it's docked without the dock. 

why don't you just buy an android tablet or something, and then use your pixel phone as a wifi hotspot.

so mount the tablet, have it pick up wifi from your phone, and then open up the netflix app from your tablet.

Samsung is fixing to roll out their S8 Tab, I believe their base version is 11 inches, the mid-version is 12.4 inches, and their ultra version is 14.6 inches.

And that might mean their previous generation, S7 Tab, might be selling for cheaper.

6 hours ago, lynux3 said:

Actually you can use your phone. I've done this before.   To set it up you will need two devices (ane extra phone, PC and a laptop etc)

@Cooke  first put on the Hotspot on your phone, then connect the 2nd device (phone, PC or laptop) to your phone's Hotspot.   Make sure your phone's Hotspot is the only internet connection that 2nd device is using during set up. 

Set up chrome cast using 2nd device  aka connect the chrome to device 2.

Once that's set up, the chrome cast is now configured to connect to your phone Hotspot.

Connect the chromecast to your hill Billy camper truck, turn on your phone's Hotspot and you're good to go. 

This would be much easier if you used iPhone & Apple TV, you know. 

No WiFi or data needed to screen share. 

Are you sure Google has copied this feature somehow?

Edit: will this work? https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-use-chromecast-without-wifi

Edited by ghostz
1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

Actually you can use your phone. I've done this before.   To set it up you will need two devices (ane extra phone, PC and a laptop etc)

@Cooke  first put on the Hotspot on your phone, then connect the 2nd device (phone, PC or laptop) to your phone's Hotspot.   Make sure your phone's Hotspot is the only internet connection that 2nd device is using during set up. 

Set up chrome cast using 2nd device  aka connect the chrome to device 2.

Once that's set up, the chrome cast is now configured to connect to your phone Hotspot.

Connect the chromecast to your hill Billy camper truck, turn on your phone's Hotspot and you're good to go. 

Would that work in a place without reception? 

47 minutes ago, ghostz said:

This would be much easier if you used iPhone & Apple TV, you know. 

No WiFi or data needed to screen share. 

Are you sure Google has copied this feature somehow?

Edit: will this work? https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-use-chromecast-without-wifi

Guest mode.. Interesting! Maybe I'll try that out. Chromecast is only 30 bucks and if it doesn't work I can just return it. Thanks 

• Thanks 1