Open Club  ·  22 members  ·  Rules

All Things Politics

Google celebrates the would-be 94th birthday of Dr. Mickiaki Takahashi, inventor of the chickenpox vaccine 60 years ago

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-doodle-celebrates-chickenpox-vaccine-pioneer-dr-michiaki-takahashis-94th-birthday/

Google Doodle Celebrates Chickenpox Vaccine Pioneer Dr. Michiaki Takahashi's 94th Birthday

His son's own experience with the highly contagious disease inspired the Japanese virologist to develop a vaccine.

Meunks7.png

Nearly 60 years ago, a 3-year-old boy suffering from chickenpox inspired his father to create a vaccine to treat the highly contagious disease. That man was Dr. Michiaki Takahashi, and his vaccine is now used to protect millions of children all over the world from the disease.

To highlight Takahashi's contribution to health and science, Google on Thursday is dedicating its Doodle to the Japanese virologist on his 94th birthday. The Doodle depicts Takahashi conducting research to isolate the virus, which causes an itchy, blistery-like rash that spreads across the entire body.

Takahashi, who had spent years studying the measles and polio viruses in Japan, was on a research fellowship in the mid-1960s at Baylor College of Medicine in Texas when his young son, Teruyuki, contracted chickenpox from a playmate. Two weeks after Teruyuki's exposure, he developed a rash on his face that quickly spread across his body, Takahashi recalled in a 2011 article for the Financial Times.

"His symptoms progressed quickly and severely," Takahashi told the FT. "His temperature shot up and he began to have trouble breathing. He was in a terrible way, and all my wife and I could do was to watch him day and night. We didn't sleep. He seemed so ill that I remember worrying about what would happen to him."

His son eventually recovered, but, Takahashi said, "I realized then that I should use my knowledge of viruses to develop a chickenpox vaccine."

Takahashi, who was born in Osaka in 1928, returned to Japan in 1965 and began intense research of the virus. After five years of working with live but weakened versions of the virus in animal and human cells, he'd developed an early version of the vaccine that was ready for clinical trials. The Oka vaccine for the varicella virus that causes chickenpox was developed in 1974, and widespread vaccination began in Japan and other countries in 1986.

Takahashi later served on the board of directors of the Research Foundation for Microbial Diseases of Osaka University. He died in 2013 at the age of 85.

Finally found a better way to stop the spread of chickenpox .

Key phrase: a better way

Because the previous way was exposing your children to it to get inoculated. That came with a death rate.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): “In the prevaccine era, approximately 11,000 persons with varicella required hospitalization each year. Hospitalization rates were approximately 2 to 3 per 1,000 cases among healthy children and 8 per 1,000 cases among adults. Death occurred in approximately 1 in 60,000 cases. From 1990 through 1996, an average of 103 deaths from varicella were reported each year. Most deaths occur in immunocompetent children and adults. Since 1996, hospitalizations and deaths from varicella have declined more than 70% and 88% respectively.”

You know what kind of death rate Takahashi's vaccine came with? Zero

Varicella deaths are now preventable by vaccine.

Not only that, if you never got chickenpox until you were older, the risk of death actually got higher in your teens and your 20's.

And not only that, having it dormant in your system means that you may experience shingles in the late stages of your life, because you immune had been suppressing the virus, and now when you are older your immune system is weakened and the virus can come back.

I've repeated this fact before, and I'll repeat it again.

All approved vaccines that have been studied, and had trials, have never had a documented side effect after four months of administering said vaccine. There is no such thing as "we don't know what this'll do years from now"  There has never been side effects from a vaccine occurring years later. Ever. In the history of federally approved vaccines.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone who fought covid without any vaccines and got off easy with some acetaminophen. I'm glad I never caved in to Government coercion. My natural immunity is more effective than your three shots

I'm not endangering anyone for not taking a vaccine that two shots had a %40 efficiency to stop Omicron or potentially reduce symptoms and it did not stop infectious vaccinated people to continue spre

That doesn't neglect the point that I've made that someone who is very sick or hospitalized is just as virulent as anyone else, vaccinated or otherwise. Of course I'm talking passed the first strain o

As someone who fought covid without any vaccines and got off easy with some acetaminophen. I'm glad I never caved in to Government coercion. My natural immunity is more effective than your three shots. It never stopped the spread and isn't necessary for everyone to take it. Sit down.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ramza said:

As someone who fought covid without any vaccines and got off easy with some acetaminophen. I'm glad I never caved in to Government coercion. My natural immunity is more effective than your three shots. It never stopped the spread and isn't necessary for everyone to take it. Sit down.

yes, you're special.

and those 800,000 dead americans is less of a noteworthy anecdote...............than your personal anecdote, apparently.

and you've already had vaccines before to enter school, so your entire delusion about yourself being some sort of beacon of integrity is small in scope.

Nobody asking you to participate in society.

Leave the cities, and live in the middle of nowhere, and being vaccine-free as much as you want.

But if YOU want to participate in society, there's rules.

That's always been the case. This is not some "new Government coercion". Society as a whole agreed to do things out of public safety a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

No one will ever mistake you for being a patriot. Ever.

Edited by jehurey
35 minutes ago, jehurey said:

yes, you're special.

and those 800,000 dead americans is less of a noteworthy anecdote...............than your personal anecdote, apparently.

and you've already had vaccines before to enter school, so your entire delusion about yourself being some sort of beacon of integrity is small in scope.

Nobody asking you to participate in society.

Leave the cities, and live in the middle of nowhere, and being vaccine-free as much as you want.

But if YOU want to participate in society, there's rules.

That's always been the case. This is not some "new Government coercion". Society as a whole agreed to do things out of public safety a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

No one will ever mistake you for being a patriot. Ever.

If you look at the age groups of people who died from Covid it's mostly people 60 years old and upward. This is why forcing everyone to take the vaccines is fucking stupid. It's a great tool to protect people at risks, mostly old people or people with pre medical conditions that makes them more vulnerable. 

The coercion the Government went to for compliance in unprecedented, for a vaccine that failed to protect from infection, failed to stopped the spread of the disease is unacceptable and on top of ignoring that natural immunity is even more effective. 

Please pretend that the unvaccinated are the cause of this some more, you pro authoritarian measures idiot. 

1 hour ago, Ramza said:

If you look at the age groups of people who died from Covid it's mostly people 60 years old and upward.

You don't get to decide who is acceptable to die.

Where the hell did you ever think that was a good argument?

I mean, if you're saying that its acceptable than society decides a certain group can suffer...................then those truckers can shut the fuck up, right?

11 minutes ago, jehurey said:

You don't get to decide who is acceptable to die.

Where the hell did you ever think that was a good argument?

I mean, if you're saying that its acceptable than society decides a certain group can suffer...................then those truckers can shut the fuck up, right?

That was never my argument to begin with, fool. I literally said after that that the vaccine is great for those people at risks. My point was that there are no reason to force everyone to be vaccinated. 

That's all you ever do, take one part of a sentence out of the context, say the most retarded tangent imaginable, while at the same time ignoring every other legit argument that was made and think you've won. You are truly an insufferable idiot. Come with better reading comprehension next-time.

Edited by Ramza
2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

That was never my argument to begin with, fool. I literally said after that that the vaccine is great for those people at risks.

Except everybody else being unvaccinated INCREASES THEIR RISKS of getting the virus before they can get vaccinated.

Everybody else being unmaked INCREASES THEIR RISKS of getting the virus before they can get vaccinated

Everybody else not social distancing and following safety protocols during the pandemic INCREASES THEIR RISKS of getting the virus before they can get vaccinated.

Dude, its february 2022, we have been explained how this virus works a million fucking times within the past 23 months.

How do you not understand that EVERYBODY HAD TO SACRIFICE in order for this shit to work?

Are you intentionally PRETENDING TO BE STUPID?

You wear a mask..................to protect others.

You vaccinate yourself.............to protect yourself AND others.

This is not up for debate, this is the entire concept behind masks and vaccines since they day they were invented.

15 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Except everybody else being unvaccinated INCREASES THEIR RISKS of getting the virus before they can get vaccinated.

Everybody else being unmaked INCREASES THEIR RISKS of getting the virus before they can get vaccinated

Everybody else not social distancing and following safety protocols during the pandemic INCREASES THEIR RISKS of getting the virus before they can get vaccinated.

Dude, its february 2022, we have been explained how this virus works a million fucking times within the past 23 months.

How do you not understand that EVERYBODY HAD TO SACRIFICE in order for this shit to work?

Are you intentionally PRETENDING TO BE STUPID?

You wear a mask..................to protect others.

You vaccinate yourself.............to protect yourself AND others.

This is not up for debate, this is the entire concept behind masks and vaccines since they day they were invented.

You act like any of these measures are %100 fool proof way to prevent Covid transmission when none of them were. 

If anything, natural immunity is making quite a good case right now. 

I played by the rules too, lost my job three times because it wasn't deemed essential, went under several lockdowns and curfews like you Americans can't even begin to imagine. I wore my mask in public everywhere that it was required, still do, I'm a student right now and I spent every day of the week wearing one. I wash my hands every time I enter an establishment. Went to get tested once I got in contact with someone positive to Covid. Isolated myself for 10 days when I got Covid. Decided not to see my parents during the Holiday to not infect my family. Don't try to act like I'm some careless fool who doesn't care about others.

I refused to get vaccinated so I lost my privileges as a free citizen. Barred entry from every kind of business besides the essentials. Meanwhile asymptomatic vaccinated people went to bars, gyms, theaters and restaurants continuing to spread the disease, fully vaccinated people continued to get infected and in need of hospital treatment. There are no justification to these foolish restrictions and mandates. 

Edited by Ramza
1 minute ago, Ramza said:

You act like any of these measures are %100 fool proof

you don't get to tell us what is a "good enough" measure and what isn't.

Those are the measures you do in a pandemic.

By you logic.............we shouldn't have seat belt laws because "they not 100% foolproof"

Dude, you are pretty attempting the SAME OLD ANTI-VAXXER routine from June 2020.

This shit was already answered and debunked a long time ago.

Those are the protocols for dealing with a pandemic. Period.

There are no other protocols.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

you don't get to tell us what is a "good enough" measure and what isn't.

Those are the measures you do in a pandemic.

By you logic.............we shouldn't have seat belt laws because "they not 100% foolproof"

Dude, you are pretty attempting the SAME OLD ANTI-VAXXER routine from June 2020.

This shit was already answered and debunked a long time ago.

Those are the protocols for dealing with a pandemic. Period.

There are no other protocols.

Once gain, retarded tangent, taken out of context while ignoring every other argument I've made. You're on a roll, mate.

41 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Once gain, retarded tangent, taken out of context while ignoring every other argument I've made. You're on a roll, mate.

No, I'm not going on a tangent.

You are making the TEXTBOOK argument that anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers have been making since the beginning.

You are not saying anything new.

You try to pad your post with a whole bunch of meaningless shit. But your argument is plainly visible from the first sentence.

You do not get to tell us what is "the best ways" to deal with this virus...............because, quite frankly, you wouldn't accept ALTERNATIVE sacrifices if we offered them to you.

Right?

See that's the thing, the guys who are complaining that "its not 100% foolproof"........................are not ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR 100% foolproof ways to combat the virus, are they?

Right????? That's called "Concern Trolling".

Or better known as...........Bullshitting. Being Disingenuous.

Edited by jehurey
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

No, I'm not going on a tangent.

You are making the TEXTBOOK argument that anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers have been making since the beginning.

You are not saying anything new.

You try to pad your post with a whole bunch of meaningless shit. But your argument is plainly visible from the first sentence.

You do not get to tell us what is "the best ways" to deal with this virus...............because, quite frankly, you wouldn't accept ALTERNATIVE sacrifices if we offered them to you.

Right?

See that's the thing, the guys who are complaining that "its not 100% foolproof"........................are not ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR 100% foolproof ways to combat the virus, are they?

Right????? That's called "Concern Trolling".

Or better known as...........Bullshitting. Being Disingenuous.

I don't care about your ''anti'' labels. Most of these measures have been largely inefficient. It's a fact, be offended for me saying something factual if you want to.

I defended lockdowns and a lot of things in beginning as it was a way to slow down the spread but it's getting out of hands when you have kids (the least affected people of the entire pandemic) still forced to wear a mask, study in a plastic box and keep social distancing while you have 70000 people attending the super bowl, overcrowded with no masks.

A lot of these measures have been badly implemented so you can stop acting all mighty about them. You're not Tom Hanks from Saving Private Ryan for wearing a mask and getting jabbed.

Vaccinated people can go to a restaurant if he/she has his passport and a mask but can remove it after walking two meters to sit down at his/her table. 

Here in Quebec we had a 8pm curfew for a very long time, so everyone rushed to the stores to get their groceries down at the same hours, leading to overcrowded stores with huge lines. Because we know the virus is more deadly after 8pm, right?

All small non essential business shut down, but large surface stores like Walmart and Costco still had hundreds of customers. 

The problem is the dishonesty and contradictions behind most restrictions. They had no idea what they were doing and threw things at the walls to see what stuck. Meanwhile anyone who had concerns was labeled a conspiracy nut, anti vaccine, anti science, or whatever. Shut the fuck up with that shit.

2 hours ago, Ramza said:

I don't care about your ''anti'' labels. Most of these measures have been largely inefficient. It's a fact

No, its not a fact.

Its your opinion.........and you're an absolute idiot on the subject.

You don't know anything about this. 

That's your initial problem. You don't even understand the concepts of why people wear masks.

You can keep on talking like you know what you're talking about. Its not remotely working, and trying to tell the other people that they don't know isn't going to work either.

You are wrong, today.

You will continue to be wrong, 3 years from now.

Five years from now.

There is no version of this, in the future, where you and your ideas come out on top. Do you realize that.

People will be talking about how you were given the lowest bar possible..........and you still failed, for several reasons, all of them which make you look bad. Years from now.

You clearly do care, or you wouldn't be talking about it so much.

4 hours ago, jehurey said:

No, its not a fact.

Its your opinion.........and you're an absolute idiot on the subject.

You don't know anything about this. 

That's your initial problem. You don't even understand the concepts of why people wear masks.

You can keep on talking like you know what you're talking about. Its not remotely working, and trying to tell the other people that they don't know isn't going to work either.

You are wrong, today.

You will continue to be wrong, 3 years from now.

Five years from now.

There is no version of this, in the future, where you and your ideas come out on top. Do you realize that.

People will be talking about how you were given the lowest bar possible..........and you still failed, for several reasons, all of them which make you look bad. Years from now.

You clearly do care, or you wouldn't be talking about it so much.

I understand way more than you do.

What do you even mean by failing the lowest bar? I already told you I followed the rules like everyone else. Still do, even when the pandemic is clearly subsiding. Not to mention the restrictions here are far stricter than in any state in the US.

People wearing contaminated cloth masks that they keep touching all day indoors is largely inefficient. 2 meters of social distancing is largely inefficient for an airborne virus that can travel up to 200 feet. Some piece of plastic in between tables at a restaurant is inefficient. The vaccines didn't stop the spread, didn't stop people from getting infected and or getting hospitalized. Fact, fact, fact.

Let's just ignore that the guidelines kept changing goalposts as they actually learned how the whole thing worked.

At first it was once %70 of the population has two shots this pandemic will end. We reached that here, it didn't end.

At first it was two vaccines to be fully vaccinated, now it's three shots. They even considered a fourth shot to be ''fully'' vaccinated in some countries.

At first it was, wear two masks, stay at home, now they tell us they aren't effective unless it's an actual surgical mask like the M95.

At first it was 10 days of isolation minimum when getting infected, now it's five. 

What a success story. But this is the agreed protocol!!!! Like this was set in stone or something. Everything that happened was unprecedented.

3 hours ago, Ramza said:

I understand way more than you do.

No, you clearly don't.

You don't even understand what masks are for.

You don't even know why you don't want a vaccine, especially an mRNA vaccine.

The only thing that you've admitted to, that is remotely genuinely is.............."I don't care"

At the end of the day, that's the only thing you actually believe in.

I'd respect you more if you were honest about what your real position is.

Don't try and tell me that YOU'D ACTUALLY GET YOUR ASS UP TO DO SOMETHING............if only the "right solution" to this virus pandemic came along. And the reason you're being an obstructionist is because ALL THE EXPERTS just-so-happen to be handling this pandemic wrong, and you know better than they do.

You're lying. You're lying to me. And you're lying to yourself.

Just now, jehurey said:

No, you clearly don't.

You don't even understand what masks are for.

You don't even know why you don't want a vaccine, especially an mRNA vaccine.

The only thing that you've admitted to, that is remotely genuinely is.............."I don't care"

At the end of the day, that's the only thing you actually believe in.

I'd respect you more if you were honest about what your real position is.

Don't try and tell me that YOU'D ACTUALLY GET YOUR ASS UP TO DO SOMETHING............if only the "right solution" to this virus pandemic came along. And the reason you're being an obstructionist is because ALL THE EXPERTS just-so-happen to be handling this pandemic wrong, and you know better than they do.

You're lying. You're lying to me. And you're lying to yourself.

Lol your psychotic ass is making shit up again.

Masks is to reduce emission of droplets from breathing, you don't need a PHD to understand that and I never said it somehow had any other purpose. 

I try to avoid any sort of medication if at all possible. What I do with my body is my own choice either way, you don't have a say in it. You're not my doctor and neither is Justin Trudeau. Even a doctor can't force me to take something I don't want. No doubt your psychotic ass is on a lot of anti depressants so I don't expect you to understand my integrity in my health choices.

I never said I didn't care, another lie you made up in your head.

My position is simple and I've said it numerous times. There are no justifications to force everyone regardless of age groups or medical conditions to be vaccinated. It's medical tyranny plain and simple. I'm not anti vaxx, I'm anti mandates.

You're not special for taking a jab. I followed every guidelines and rules but they can't coerce me into taking a vaccine I don't need, which was reconfirmed once I finally caught the virus, which was more similar to a bad case of flu than a life threatening disease. I love how you people never take natural immunity into account, like it's a non proven scientific fact and is a conspiracy. Funny how the least threatening variant came out of one of the least vaccinated country on earth, South Africa and now the disease is slowly dying as we reached a high level enough of herd immunity because omicron was far more virulent and didn't spare anyone, vaccinated or not. 

You're the only one lying here, making shit up on my account and you've done this several times since I started posting on the political boards. On top of trying to imply that I have no idea what I'm talking about while you still have to make one good single counter argument in this whole thread. 

Just now, Ramza said:

Lol your psychotic ass is making shit up again.

Masks is to reduce emission of droplets from breathing, you don't need a PHD to understand that and I never said it somehow had any other purpose. 

I try to avoid any sort of medication if at all possible. What I do with my body is my own choice either way, you don't have a say in it.

We've literally had Supreme Court rulings on this OVER 100 YEARS AGO, sweetie.

The answer is.............YES we do have a say over it A.) if you are trying to participate in a society, and B.)you're body affects the health of other people.

This is where your argument dies.

You don't have a counter-argument for this.

that view of freedom has been on record by Supreme Court Justice Harlan since 1905 in Jacobson v. Massachusetts

But the liberty secured by the Constitution of the United States to every person within its jurisdiction does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint. There are manifold restraints to which every person is necessarily subject for the common good. On any other basis, organized society could not exist with safety to its members. Society based on the rule that each one is a law unto himself would soon be confronted with disorder and anarchy. Real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own, whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others. This court has more than once recognized it as a fundamental principle that

"persons and property are subjected to all kinds of restraints and burdens, in order to secure the general comfort, health, and prosperity of the State, of the perfect right of the legislature to do which no question ever was, or upon acknowledged general principles ever can be, made so far as natural persons are concerned."

This is settled law.

And Canada and basically any other western country has similar rulings or verbage in existing laws that come to this very conclusion.

This is why you have MANDATORY vaccinations to enter in public school.

Once again.............you're just retreading old bullshit talking points from anti-vaxxers/anti-maskers from back in 2020.

Nothing you are saying are things we didn't already answer and shut down. You literally have NOTHING new or insightful on this subject.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

We've literally had Supreme Court rulings on this OVER 100 YEARS AGO, sweetie.

The answer is.............YES we do have a say over it A.) if you are trying to participate in a society, and B.)you're body affects the health of other people.

This is where your argument dies.

You don't have a counter-argument for this.

This is settled law.

And Canada and basically any other western country has similar rulings or verbage in existing laws that come to this very conclusion.

This is why you have MANDATORY vaccinations to enter in public school.

Once again.............you're just retreading old bullshit talking points from anti-vaxxers/anti-maskers from back in 2020.

Nothing you are saying are things we didn't already answer and shut down. You literally have NOTHING new or insightful on this subject.

Except the vaccines didn't stop the spread or infection. You can't apply this to every virus or context as if it fits every situation. I didn't put anyone in danger for not taking the vaccine other than myself and it was a risk I was willing to take.

There is no mandatory vaccinations required to enter a public school in my province. You're just using a vague law as a pretext that it could justify everything that happened, it didn't. It wasn't applied everywhere either. You pro authoritarian idiot. 

Just now, Ramza said:

Except the vaccines didn't stop the spread or infection.

:lawl:you keep on losing the argument, and then moving onto another.

and at this point, its obvious that you are in a circular argument.

its not going to work with me.

you don't get to tell society and those we put in charge of society about how effective or in-effective something is. ou

and you are wrong, the vaccines absolutely help stop the spread of infection.

Just now, jehurey said:

:lawl:you keep on losing the argument, and then moving onto another.

and at this point, its obvious that you are in a circular argument.

its not going to work with me.

you don't get to tell society and those we put in charge of society about how effective or in-effective something is. ou

and you are wrong, the vaccines absolutely help stop the spread of infection.

Nice auto projection there.

I can say whatever I want. This is a free democratic society, sit your ass down, Xi Jinhurey.

The vaccines had their uses but saying it didn't stop the spread nor infection is just factual. You have yet to make a single argument as to why everyone should be vaccinated regardless of the statistics we have.