Steam Deck is mindblowing

Just now, Remij said:

Well, in a few hours I will be able to see for myself.

I disagree that zero games being made specifically for Deck will limit it's marketability... Steam is the ultimate marketing platform for games.  Valve still needs to do work, but when it gets there... being able to have essentially your entire Steam library with you anywhere.. is extremely attractive to anyone interested in the portable market.

Extremely attractive to people who already game on PCs with Steam.. That's a very specific market.

Hence why I said it will remain attractive to the PC gaming market who want to play their games on the go. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The fucking thing plays Cyberpunk at a stable 30.   Since Friday I've installed 40 games on it, all looking and running great. SteamOS is great at unlocking PC tweakability but in a unified,

So I reserved one.. I'm an idiot. Just the 64gb one. Got an extra 512gb sd card laying around. 

Jerrys list of rules for what people are and are not allowed to do with their steamdeck   - You can't play at medium settings 720p (even though sheep hyped Doom and Witcher on Switch)

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sugarhigh said:

Personally I wouldn't want OLED due to burn-in. But it would be nice to have deeper blacks.  I really don't have a problem with the Deck screen, it looks better than my son's OG Switch (more in terms of visible pixels than color accuracy) but it's in the same class.

That's an issue definitely.  We'll have to see as time goes on how the Switch fares.  It will probably last long enough, or be unnoticeable enough until the point where you're ready to upgrade anyway.

What the Steam Deck, and potential future iterations can improve on is allowing for easier screen replacements.  Make a future OLED Deck with an respectively easy to replace screen, and you reduce any real impact that would have.

I'm sure modders will be modding their Decks with OLED replacement screens as well.

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Extremely attractive to people who already game on PCs with Steam.. That's a very specific market.

Hence why I said it will remain attractive to the PC gaming market who want to play their games on the go. 

It's attractive to anyone who's interested in a handheld, which also will then know that if they buy a PC, all those games go with them.

Currently, yes, that's the main market.. because they're still working on testing and supporting all those titles.. but it wont remain that way forever.

Just now, Remij said:

That's an issue definitely.  We'll have to see as time goes on how the Switch fares.  It will probably last long enough, or be unnoticeable enough until the point where you're ready to upgrade anyway.

What the Steam Deck, and potential future iterations can improve on is allowing for easier screen replacements.  Make a future OLED Deck with an respectively easy to replace screen, and you reduce any real impact that would have.

I'm sure modders will be modding their Decks with OLED replacement screens as well.

Every OLED i've owned, including multiple Android phones and the PS Vita have had burn in on menus/taskbars after a few years. I think you'll see "Options | Open" burned into the bottom right corner of a lot of used OLED Switches.  Visible in-game.

1 minute ago, Remij said:

It's attractive to anyone who's interested in a handheld, which also will then know that if they buy a PC, all those games go with them.

Currently, yes, that's the main market.. because they're still working on testing and supporting all those titles.. but it wont remain that way forever.

You're hoping it doesn't remain that way forever.  Time will tell

Just now, Goukosan said:

No, this is Sheep logic. It literally doesn't matter with the Deck. If only my Deck existed, it will still be a great game system for the next 10 years because it will still play PC games. The only limiting factor is Valve stopping Proton updates, but even that is open source.

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

I'm going to enjoy playing games and helping Valve achieve just that 💪

• aitch 1
4 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

No, this is Sheep logic. It literally doesn't matter with the Deck. If only my Deck existed, it will still be a great game system for the next 10 years because it will still play PC games. The only limiting factor is Valve stopping Proton updates, but even that is open source.

You're agreeing with me.  It is a great device for the PC enthusiasts.   LemiJ and I were discussing Mass market outside the PC crowd. 

9 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Every OLED i've owned, including multiple Android phones and the PS Vita have had burn in on menus/taskbars after a few years. I think you'll see "Options | Open" burned into the bottom right corner of a lot of used OLED Switches.  Visible in-game.

What android phone you've owned that had burn in after a few years? 

None of my Samsung phones have had any type of burn in and I usually keep a model for 4 years each. 

OLED burn in and a  modern portable device is almost impossible unless your device doesn't sleep for WEEKS at a time.

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

You're agreeing with me.  It is a great device for the PC enthusiasts.   LemiJ and I were discussing Mass market outside the PC crowd. 

You'll be surprised how solid the primary, non-tinkery experience is already.  Valve is still fulfilling orders from the first couple hours of preorders.  By the time it's feasible to sell Decks at Best Buy, the value proposition of a $400 handheld PC will be very mainstream attractive since you literally can't build a $400 gaming PC.

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

What android phone you've owned that had burn in after a few years? 

None of my Samsung phones have had any type of burn in and I usually keep a model for 4 years each. 

OLED burn in and a  modern portable device is almost impossible unless your device doesn't sleep for WEEKS at a time.

Pixel 4 and Galaxy S8.  Both mine and my wife's galaxy had significant burn in of homescreen icons and the top bar.

Just now, sugarhigh said:

You'll be surprised how solid the primary, non-tinkery experience is already.  Valve is still fulfilling orders from the first couple hours of preorders.  By the time it's feasible to sell Decks at Best Buy, the value proposition of a $400 handheld PC will be very mainstream attractive since you literally can't build a $400 gaming PC.

Dude, deck is no where close to being ready to be sold out the box at best buy.  You're being delusional now.  

1 minute ago, sugarhigh said:

Pixel 4 and Galaxy S8.  Both mine and my wife's galaxy had significant burn in of homescreen icons and the top bar.

I had a galaxy S6 for 4 years no burn in. 

I currently have a galaxy S10 since launch in 2019...3 years strong... No burn in.

Just now, Goukosan said:

Dude, deck is no where close to being ready to be sold out the box at best buy.  You're being delusional now.  

it could be more than a year away based on the preorder queue. valve will have to get to a next level of manufacturing. in terms of user-friendliness, it's already better than quest 2 which is sold at bestbuy.

3 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

You're the target market, so that's expected. 

You're right, but that's why I said currently.  They need the help of the community to make it a reality, and they're doing just that.  The library of games is unprecedented, and admittedly the device is built on coding black magic fuckery.. so it needs work to get there.  Regardless, the amount of features and improvements already made to the device since its launch is more than Switch has received in its entire existence.  Valve have been updating it daily, and people often mention issues, and the next day an update is out that fixes it.

Valve isn't just building the Deck to satisfy another market.  Valve is building Deck, and SteamOS, to ensure the viability and stability of their platform without dependencies on any outside force.  If Valve does this right, and they get the platform to that place... than developers could then transition away from MS and DirectX in the future, and build native games for SteamOS and any device which runs it.  Valve needs to build the platform where the entire back catalog remains viable to have any chance at that happening.. which is what they're doing.

They're playing a long game here.. so it's going to take some time.. but Steam is exactly the type of platform that has the best chance at doing that.

I haven't ever had a smart phone for more than 2 years.  I went from an S10+ to a S22 Ultra, and I don't see burn in ever being an issue for me.  I'm not on my phone 24/7 though and admittedly I don't ever have my screen blasting full brightness, nor just sitting on a still image for any large amount of time.

I'm sure OLEDs will be good for at least 4 years... which is long enough for me to want to upgrade any portable device I'd have.

3 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

Yep, and it's super nice if you have a monitor with USB-C input and a built-in USB hub. One cable for charging, 4k display, kbm, and usb disk.  You can also use the Deck built-in display and trackpads in Desktop mode, which isn't great but can get the job done for minor tasks.

I have 2 usb c input monitors. 

Edited by Cooke