VGC: Microsoft has claimed it "would simply not be profitable" to make Call of Duty an Xbox exclusive, again insisting the series will remain on PlayStation.

No shit. Only Vini and Ghostz were dumb enough to think it was ever going to be exclusive to Shitbox.

Shitbox version sell the least of a multiplatform release %90 of the time. MS needs all the help they can get if they want to make Activision and Bethesda profitable. The capital of MS might be massive but they can't operate giant AAA studios (after a huge initial investment to boot) at a lost for infinity.

Xshit fanboys have zero business sense. No wonder they expect everyone else to follow MS footsteps in a business practice that has yet to prove itself to be profitable at all. Giving out all your first party day one on Hobopass and paying out third parties for multiplats just for 20m-something subscribers, most of which has got theirs from a bag of doritos and a can of mountain dew for $4. :kaz:  

Lamepass is the most desperate attempt at staying relevant in the video games market I've ever seen.

''They'll come in droves if we just give them out everything we have for $12 a month.'' :sword:

''Looks like they still rather be paying $70 for Horizon on PS5.'' :evil:

''Why are we losing money?'' :swell:

• Geese 1

The big thing about this deal for Sony will be the eventual loss of marketing rights and exclusive content, and the entire series being on GamePass.

They know MS ain't taking the games themselves away.  Way too much money there... and we already know MS want's GP on Playstation.  Sony will never budge on that.. 

55 minutes ago, Ramza said:

''They'll come in droves if we just give them out everything we have for $12 a month.'' :sword:

''Looks like they still rather be paying $70 for Horizon on PS5.'' :evil:

''Why are we losing money?'' :swell:

I think you're seriously underestimating the appeal to the casual market of getting a cheap Xbox Series S, along with all the COD games for a low price like that.

Lots of COD casuals buy a PS or Xbox and literally only play COD and maybe one or two other games.

With exclusive content and marketing... they'll get a lot of people.

22 minutes ago, Remij said:

Lots of COD casuals buy a PS or Xbox and literally only play COD and maybe one or two other games.

No casual gamer is gonna pay $180/yr to play COD on GamePass. Those casuals like you said, only play one or two games a year and they’ll just end up spending $70 on COD that they play and ignore GP. The other games they’d probably play other than COD are Madden, 2K or GTA, neither of which will be on GP.

They don’t give two shits about the other games MS has on GP. It’s why GP isn’t catching on with casuals even now that they have so many of MS and Bathesda’s games in there. GP and even PS Plus Extra are services for the hardcore. Casuals aren’t interested in playing hundreds of games a year on a service.

Edited by FIREPOWER
2 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

No casual gamer is gonna pay $180/yr to play COD on GamePass. Those casuals like you said, only play one or two games a year and they’ll just end up spending $70 on COD that they play and ignore GP. The other games they’d probably play other than COD are Madden, 2K or GTA, neither of which will be on GP.

They don’t give two shits about the other games MS has on GP. It’s why GP isn’t catching on with casuals even now that they have so many of MS and Bathesda’s games in there. GP and even PS Plus Extra are services for the hardcore. Casuals aren’t interested in playing hundreds of games a year on a service.

Keep telling yourself that :D 

This is a total lie. It would absolutely be "profitable". They can and likely will fire half the CoD staff to make it even more profitable.

The issue is simply whether they're willing to forego Playstation sales to improve their overall gaming market share. This is the same as every other exclusive. Why wouldn't they make Starfield for PS5 if this is their thinking?

3 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

I will and I’ll also continue to live in reality while you live in a made up world where people are paying $180/yr to play one game on a sub service :mjgrin:

They will.

Casuals don't think "oh I'm spending $180 a year"... they'll think... oh I get all these CODs and DLCs and exclusive shit... for just $12 a month... and a bunch of other shit I can try out for essentially free.. count me in.

31 minutes ago, Remij said:

I think you're seriously underestimating the appeal to the casual market of getting a cheap Xbox Series S, along with all the COD games for a low price like that.

With exclusive content and marketing... they'll get a lot of people.

It's so appealing to attract the lowest common denominator of consumers. Lmao at Series S + Hobopass combo. That guy who used to buy 2/3 games per year, NHL and Fifa now only spend about $10 a month.

And we all know profit doesn't come from the hardware. Attracting a bunch of cheapskates at the cost of losing potential profits on softwares for the sake of cheap subscribers is not a good business model at all. The fact they're still third place in everything proves my point.

5 minutes ago, Remij said:

They will.

Casuals don't think "oh I'm spending $180 a year"... they'll think... oh I get all these CODs and DLCs and exclusive shit... for just $12 a month... and a bunch of other shit I can try out for essentially free.. count me in.

Except it isn’t $12/month it’s $180/yr which equates to $15/month. Either way it costs more money than straight up buying the game. Casuals aren’t as dumb as you think they are. If they were as dumb as you think Xbox Series S would be flying off the shelves now and GP would be leading in subscriber count which it isn’t.

Edited by FIREPOWER
1 minute ago, Ramza said:

It's so appealing to attract the lowest common denominator of consumers. Lmao at Series S + Hobopass combo. That guy who used to buy 2/3 games per year, NHL and Fifa now only spend about $10 a month.

And we all know profit doesn't come from the hardware. Attracting a bunch of cheapskates at the cost of losing potential profits on softwares for the sake of cheap subscribers is not a good business model at all. The fact they're still third place in everything proves my point.

Yea, but I mean those people are the reason why COD literally sells what it does, let's be real.

It's not hardcore console fanboys..  It's the.. what's the cheapest way to play COD type people.  Ok, this box + this subscription service... done.  They have no allegiance.

Yea, well it's the model they've settled on, and what they're putting all this work and money into... lol, we'll see how it plays out.

1 minute ago, Remij said:

Yea, but I mean those people are the reason why COD literally sells what it does, let's be real.

It's not hardcore console fanboys..  It's the.. what's the cheapest way to play COD type people.  Ok, this box + this subscription service... done.  They have no allegiance.

Yea, well it's the model they've settled on, and what they're putting all this work and money into... lol, we'll see how it plays out.

Yeah, good luck paying off that 68.7b initial investment on Activision with the current Gamepass revenue. 

It's the most retarded business model in the known universe and it's only possible because MS are willing to bleed money for Xbox, for decades if they have to. Any business concerned with maximizing profits would have thrown the idea out the window. It's a desperate attempt to buy off the video games market by selling at a lower price than the competitions by using a non profitable business model.

Even if they were to bring a majority of the CoD fanbase over the Xbox. Nothing would change, as it's the least profitable way to sell the game to the fans. They might as well hope that it will sell best on PS5 at full price, which it just might at this rate. :kaz: 

It has failed to moved Xbox hardware in mass, it lower the amount of softwares sold overall, it fails to bring high value consumers and it lower profits on games.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Yeah, good luck paying off that 68.7b initial investment on Activision with the current Gamepass revenue. 

It's the most retarded business model in the known universe and it's only possible because MS are willing to bleed money for Xbox, for decades if they have to. Any business concerned with maximizing profits would have thrown the idea out the window. It's a desperate attempt to buy off the video games market by selling at a lower price than the competitions by using a non profitable business model.

Even if they were to bring a majority of the CoD fanbase over the Xbox. Nothing would change, as it's the least profitable way to sell the game to the fans. They might as well hope that it will sell best on PS5 at full price, which it just might at this rate. :kaz: 

It has failed to moved Xbox hardware in mass, it lower the amount of softwares sold overall, it fails to bring high value consumers and it lower profits on games.

I think it's a major reason why Xbox has sold what it has of Series consoles.

It's definitely a business model only companies like MS can do currently... which is why they're doing it.  Hoping they can starve out the competition.

Thing is... if MS augmented it with actual high quality games on a consistent basis.... they could absolutely rack up subscribers.

12 minutes ago, Remij said:

I think it's a major reason why Xbox has sold what it has of Series consoles.

It's definitely a business model only companies like MS can do currently... which is why they're doing it.  Hoping they can starve out the competition.

Thing is... if MS augmented it with actual high quality games on a consistent basis.... they could absolutely rack up subscribers.

The weird thing is the only obvious goal is the same one they tried when developing Xbox One: MS dominance in the living room. It can't only be videogame dominance because Sony has that and they're tiny compared to MS as a whole.

So why is MS willing to lose so much money for so long?

Edited by sugarhigh
7 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

The weird thing is the only obvious goal is the same one they tried when developing Xbox One: MS dominance in the living room. It can't only be videogame dominance because Sony has that and they're tiny compared to MS as a whole.

Cause Phil is a good guy! :glad: 

• Geese 1
4 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Probably because GamePass, should it grow, would probably help them with making money and helping grow their Azure cloud services.

And secondly, OWNING developers and their games for subscription service is CHEAPER than LEASING games.

That's the Netflix model.

Should the subscription business falter, they have assets to sell and make their money back.

Oh, and make no mistake, they are going to A.) Severely start cutting the quality of games on the server, or B.) Introduce a price increase to GamePass when Starfield comes out.

If you've noticed, those August GamePass games are looking pretty shitty.

Just now, jehurey said:

Probably because GamePass, should it grow, would probably help them with making money and helping grow their Azure cloud services.

And secondly, OWNING developers and their games for subscription service is CHEAPER than LEASING games.

That's the Netflix model.

Should the subscription business falter, they have assets to sell and make their money back.

Oh, and make no mistake, they are going to A.) Severely start cutting the quality of games on the server, or B.) Introduce a price increase to GamePass when Starfield comes out.

If you've noticed, those August GamePass games are looking pretty shitty.

The Netflix model is bleeding out. It's even harder to make dreg designed-by-algorithm videogames than TV.

Also releasing on Gamepass doesn't directly help Azure. Unless MS is doing some wacky contract shit where GP exclusives have to use it. Few developers would choose it over AWS or GCP willingly.

Even if Gamepass achieved major dominance, I think they'd have to go up to like $30/mo for it to make sense.

• Like 1