[Insider Gaming] Sources - Sony Anticipates 10 Million + PS5S To Be Sold In Q3 FY23

Good lord, I remember when the PS4 was supposedly breaking records with selling 14-16 million consoles within one entire year.

Ten million in one quarter?

All of this talk about "people are moving away from consoles" really seems to be getting outdated by the month.

Playstation and Nintendo Switches are remaining at such high levels, we've never seen ONE console do this, let alone TWO console do this at the same time.

42 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Hopefully the PS5 has a long life and we get a cheap slim unit. Imagine PS5 selling for $250 in a couple years. Devs have barely scratched the surface of what it can do after 3 years.

We barely just stopped getting cross-Gen games with Ragnarok. Let’s see what ND has in store for us with their first real PS5 game. I can see PS5 lasting for another 4-5 years easily. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ike said:

We barely just stopped getting cross-Gen games with Ragnarok. Let’s see what ND has in store for us with their first real PS5 game. I can see PS5 lasting for another 4-5 years easily. 

PSVR2 makes a lot more sense if PS5 has 5+ years in the tank

26 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

PSVR2 makes a lot more sense if PS5 has 5+ years in the tank

...and the fact that the PC marketplace has completely died on the Oculus store and on PC.

I asked these guys what the best looking AAA-produced VR games were...........and they pointed me to Half Life Alyx from March 2020, and a sword slashing game from 2019 as their best examples.

Nobody is putting real money in VR game development.

What Sony is doing is smart.

We have AA-game developers out there, who are going to struggle trying to sell $70 retail games.

These developers can implement VR modes in these games, and its not going to cost them much more. AND they don't have to worry about adjust graphics settings (thank you eye-tracking foveated rendering).

Not only is this the easiest way to get VR games, meaty VR game. But it also helps provide value for AA-level games.

• aitch 1
3 hours ago, jehurey said:

...and the fact that the PC marketplace has completely died on the Oculus store and on PC.

I asked these guys what the best looking AAA-produced VR games were...........and they pointed me to Half Life Alyx from March 2020, and a sword slashing game from 2019 as their best examples.

Nobody is putting real money in VR game development.

What Sony is doing is smart.

We have AA-game developers out there, who are going to struggle trying to sell $70 retail games.

These developers can implement VR modes in these games, and its not going to cost them much more. AND they don't have to worry about adjust graphics settings (thank you eye-tracking foveated rendering).

Not only is this the easiest way to get VR games, meaty VR game. But it also helps provide value for AA-level games.

PSVR2 is necessary to revive AA-AAA VR development. We'll never get *the next* Alyx without it. But VR is a category to itself now. Some standalone functionality is essential. I'm more rooting for the Valve project and Meta to just let SteamVR officially work with the Quest line. Also HTC's new headset looks like a big next gen upgrade.