ASUS announces "Ally" handheld

35 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Any one of these doesn't compete with Switch. Valve can't do Nintendo volume on their own. But like you said, there's a range of options. Future hybrid handhelds from Nintendo will be launching into a field where there are already handhelds with a bigger library at all price points. They'll still have the kid audience, but for most people over 10, PCs will be more compelling because it is one library.

I think Valve needs to entice vendors like ASUS to use SteamOS over Windows. Some kind of "affiliate" program where OEMs get a cut of the store revenue could help a lot to draw in more hardware at competitive pricing, and more developer support.

All of these will be niche, none will be doing 100 million+ like Switch ever.

A small subset of core gamers will look towards handheld PCs over Switch but the Switch will be the only one that dominates the mass market.

4 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

LOL, fuck.off.

I said on earpy on I wasn't sure why the sheep were getting so butthurt about Steamdeck because it wasn't competing with Switch, it was you and Jerry who were feeling threatened like it was a direct threat. Don't revise history now.

Its hard for it to be competition when its not sold at retail :umad:

Nah, you were projecting. 

You can go back and look at all my posts about steam deck.  From day 1 I said it wasn't a threat, wasn't competing with switch etc and that there was no need for "sheep" to feel threatened.

You kept pushing "Bbbbbbut please be mad, please be upset :awww:"

Now a year later you're saying the samethings I said about Deck from day 1.

:umad:

37 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Nah, you were projecting. 

You can go back and look at all my posts about steam deck.  From day 1 I said it wasn't a threat, wasn't competing with switch etc and that there was no need for "sheep" to feel threatened.

You kept pushing "Bbbbbbut please be mad, please be upset :awww:"

Now a year later you're saying the samethings I said about Deck from day 1.

:umad:

There is my post from August 2021 saying it's not direct competition.

Now go back and look at how defensive you, jerry and a few other Sheep get in any Steamdeck thread. It was blatantly obvious something had you shook, Nintendo has dominated the handheld market for so long that Sheep automatically get defensive whenever a new one is announced, especially if it has better hardware than Nintendo's device.

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

All of these will be niche, none will be doing 100 million+ like Switch ever.

A small subset of core gamers will look towards handheld PCs over Switch but the Switch will be the only one that dominates the mass market.

You're thinking about it the wrong way. How many gaming laptops are sold a year? How many people play PC games world wide in general? We can only guess at these, but it's obvious there is a durable audience.

Unlike a Nintendo console, none of these
handhelds rely on special developer support. If only you buy an Asus Ally, you'll still get more games than the next Nintendo system even if it's a smash hit. That's a great guarantee against failure.

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

There is my post from August 2021 saying it's not direct competition.

Now go back and look at how defensive you, jerry and a few other Sheep get in any Steamdeck thread. It was blatantly obvious something had you shook, Nintendo has dominated the handheld market for so long that Sheep automatically get defensive whenever a new one is announced, especially if it has better hardware than Nintendo's device.

Here you go projecting again with your persecution complex :kaz:

Not only that you proved my point.  The Deck criticism was coming from Non sheep like Jonb.. Jonb created that thread. 

The first thing you do in that steam deck performance issues thread made by a non sheep is bring up the Switch.... You immediately got defensive. 

In that very thread I said to you MULTIPLE TIMES that the deck isn't a threat to the Switch.... 

Now you're here today claiming I was threatened by the deck... The thread you posted shows otherwise... It shows me again and again telling you its not a threat...While you claim that sheep are threatened by them telling you it's not a threat over and over:umad:

On 2021-08-07 at 10:53 PM, Goukosan said:

Switch wasn't touted to be as powerful as a One X dip shit, so obviously if steam deck can't run last gen games properly then of course there would be performance concerns..... :umad:

Those performance concerns were raised by a non sheep (JonB) and again you try to dodge steam decks performance concerns by bringing up Switch's.  As if that somehow negates Steam decks performance concerns.  

Fact - Steam deck is not a threat to Switch or any mainstream system for that matter. 

Fact - Steam deck will have little to no games built from the ground up for it. 

Fact - its a machine for enthusiasts, who will get the most of it.  Outside of that niche it will be DOA. 

You keep projecting the all of the cristism of steam deck on sheep when those weren't even raised by sheep.. 

You're doing that as a tactic to not actually address those cristisms raised by non-sheep. 

And did you seriously say where was the the performance concerns for Switch? did you see you made this thread?  Have you missed all of JonB's performance concerns threads for Switch for the last 4.5 years? 

Have you been living under a rock? 

None of that pushback you gave applies to JonB, Twinblade etc. 

Nice try though. 

Edited by Goukosan
15 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Here you go projecting again with your persecution complex :kaz:

Not only that you proved my point.  The Deck criticism was coming from Non sheep like Jonb.. Jonb created that thread. 

The first thing you do in that steam deck performance issues thread made by a non sheep is bring up the Switch.... You immediately got defensive. 

In that very thread I said to you MULTIPLE TIMES that the deck isn't a threat to the Switch.... 

Now you're here today claiming I was threatened by the deck... The thread you posted shows otherwise... It shows me again and again telling you its not a threat...While you claim that sheep are threatened by them telling you it's not a threat over and over:umad:

You were wrong stfu, you said it took a long time for me to come around and yet I was saying the same thing 2 years ago. The classy thing to do would be to apologize.

Also context is key. I didnt rag on the Switch I was pointing out to a retard that a handheld is still a handheld, just because it runs PC games doesn't magically give it PC performance.

Go back through that first year of steamdeck threads and you and jerry were acting mighty angsty over the Deck.

But to reafffirm, Deck or handheld PCs are to Switch as a desktop PC is to a console. In a way its competing but its a very different device with a different audience.

7 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

You were wrong stfu, you said it took a long time for me to come around and yet I was saying the same thing 2 years ago. The classy thing to do would be to apologize.

Also context is key. I didnt rag on the Switch I was pointing out to a retard that a handheld is still a handheld, just because it runs PC games doesn't magically give it PC performance.

Go back through that first year of steamdeck threads and you and jerry were acting mighty angsty over the Deck.

But to reafffirm, Deck or handheld PCs are to Switch as a desktop PC is to a console. In a way its competing but its a very different device with a different audience.

You Keep saying I was angsty... When from day 1 I said the deck wouldn't impact the Switch in any meaningful way.

The thread you linked doesn't back you up your claims that I was threatened by the deck... Switch didn't come up and till you immediately got defensive... It also shows me responding to you and highlighting why it's not a threat to Switch for a multitude of reasons.... :umad:

• 2 weeks later...

that 3.9 mm must be a typo, right?

Its 3.9cm compared to the other device's 4.9?

So Asus was able to make so many other hardware improvements, yet still be able to make it 20% slimmer and weigh 10% less?

Just watch it generate less heat, have lower fan noise, and have better battery life, as well.

No surprise, considering Asus is actually a real hardware company with actual experience in making consumer products.

4 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

120fps might be amazing for something like Ori or Hollow Knight. There aren't many 3d games where that 120fps is possible or worth the hit to battery.

YouTube handheld PC guy The Phawx criticized the Ally for setting unrealistic performance expectations with its marketing:

https://youtu.be/KsfCJawnM-8

:kaz: SW's biggest steamdeck fanboy already trying to downplay this thing. What a shocker.

If the price ends up being reasonable then valve is in for a world of hurt.

18 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

:kaz: SW's biggest steamdeck fanboy already trying to downplay this thing. What a shocker.

I made the thread :|

It's good that ASUS is getting into handhelds. I want HP, Samsung, Alienware, Sony etc to follow.

But I would still buy the Deck over the Ally, even losing on performance.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Remember when you were hating on the Deck for no reason? Then hyped the hell out of the ayaneo despite it not fixing half of the problems you had with steamdeck, then you cried like a bitch when you bought one and didnt like it :trump2:

I do t think Valve will care too much either. Deck is performing above expectations, will still sell because of the brand power, and if people buy the Ally they will mostly buy their games from Steam anyway.

• Geese 1