Viewfinder IGN review - 8.0 (9.0 from GS)

• Twinblade★ changed the title to Viewfinder IGN review - 8.0 (9.0 from GS)
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

i was literally googling puzzlers yesterday. this sooo fits the bill.

yeah it seems awesome. I have too much on my plate right now especially since I started binging lost unfortunately. I think I watched like 18 or 19 episodes just this weekend :D 

will probably get this later this summer or in the fall.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

yeah it seems awesome. I have too much on my plate right now especially since I started binging lost unfortunately. I think I watched like 18 or 19 episodes just this weekend :D 

will probably get this later this summer or in the fall.

i'll get it and let you know what i think :smoke:

• aitch 1

I’m in the last world. This title deserves accolades for its game design. Whenever you think an idea is too far-fetched to be the solution…then it’s usually the answer lol. Some of my completed levels end up being a jumbled mess of planes facing different directions :D I have no clue what the story is about and I couldn’t care less. It’s all about the puzzles. 

• Like 1

I’m at the last puzzle. It’s pulling some Witness time/dexterity bullshit. The clock doesn’t rewind if you undo a bad move. I was able to reach 7 out of 9 buttons before the clock ran out. It’s doable, but annoying and not mentally challenging. You basically can’t make a single mistake. It’s a shame since the rest of the game didn’t have that garbage. Also, I found the puzzles in the last world to be easier than the one before (easily the best chapter). Still, I’m leaning towards giving it a 9 because everything it does well, it does it extremely well. I’ll get around to finishing the last area when I’m in the right head space. I nearly threw my controller this morning lol. I fucking hate being timed. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

I’m at the last puzzle. It’s pulling some Witness time/dexterity bullshit. The clock doesn’t rewind if you undo a bad move. I was able to reach 7 out of 9 buttons before the clock ran out. It’s doable, but annoying and not mentally challenging. You basically can’t make a single mistake. It’s a shame since the rest of the game didn’t have that garbage. Also, I found the puzzles in the last world to be easier than the one before (easily the best chapter). Still, I’m leaning towards giving it a 9 because everything it does well, it does it extremely well. I’ll get around to finishing the last area when I’m in the right head space. I nearly threw my controller this morning lol. I fucking hate being timed. 

That sounds frustrating. I’m not sure why the devs thought that would be fun. It almost sounds like they did it to artificially increase the length of the game.

34 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

That sounds frustrating. I’m not sure why the devs thought that would be fun. It almost sounds like they did it to artificially increase the length of the game.

Maybe. While it's only 5 minutes, it becomes a game of memory (much like The Witness in its final act). I'm sure I will knock it out after a few more tries. However, it sucks if you misplace an object and have to rewind and replace it, since you lose valuable time. If the clock was longer (7 minutes?), it wouldn't be annoying. The 9 mini puzzles are fun (basically, a collection of every style of puzzle). Without the clock, it would have been a cool final sequence.

The rest of chapter 5 is pretty fun, with a neat added ability. Chapter 4 was my favorite, though. It really makes you think outside of the box, and forces you to basically break the level  (in a great way) to win.

• Like 1

I finished it. There are some key steps I had skipped in the final puzzle because trial and error are definitely required. Without a timer, this could have been a pretty awesome puzzle, with one being able to rewind back to the earlier parts at their own pace. Oh well. My score still stands at a 9. It’s only four to five hours long, but when the game is firing on all cylinders, it’s easily up there with Portal 2 and Talos Principle. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Getting massive Witness vibes from this. Looks awesome

It’s a lot better than The Witness. I liked the open-ness of that game, but it got too dexterity-heavy by the end. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

It’s a lot better than The Witness. I liked the open-ness of that game, but it got too dexterity-heavy by the end. 

Really? 

You make a good point, but I think the Witness was truly something special.  The amount of work that must have went into designing that game is just staggering... The only problem with it for me was the it petered out by the end and the ending didn't hit as hard as I was hoping..

This is sounding amazing though :wow2: 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Remij said:

Really? 

You make a good point, but I think the Witness was truly something special.  The amount of work that must have went into designing that game is just staggering... The only problem with it for me was the it petered out by the end and the ending didn't hit as hard as I was hoping..

This is sounding amazing though :wow2: 

This is not anywhere close to being as ambitious as an open world puzzle game along the lines of The Witness. It’s a linear path of chapters with a collection of puzzles (they can be done randomly in each respective chapter). However, what it lacks in overall world design (and narrative), if makes up for with its puzzles and the many way you can manipulate the environment to solve them. There’s shit I’ve never seen before, which is a major plus. There are clearly nods to Portal and Superliminal, but it adds its own special tricks. 

• Upvote 1