The Story of Quake on the Game Boy Advance

1 hour ago, Sabo said:

What kind of fuckin' black magic is this? This is so insane I'm still having trouble believing it.

The GBA actually had quite a few fully 3D FPS games. I remember playing the Medal of Honor one and being blown away by it

• Upvote 1

This is incredible. Like I'm legit blown away by this.

WTF happened, man?

We got examples of fully 3D games running beautifully on a damn GBA of all things but devs today can't optimize for shit even with all of this advanced hardware and technology we have today?

Seriously, WTF happened?

• Like 1

Gosh, the GBA had so many BAD games. Tons of worthless licensed trash and stinky ports. I wouldn't touch that or that MoH GBA game even if you paid me. I don't care for their technical achievements, this is the lowest form of gaming possible. You're playing a crappy ass version of Quake that runs at 20FPS with one dpad in the 2000s. Unplayable is what it is. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sabo said:

This is incredible. Like I'm legit blown away by this.

WTF happened, man?

We got examples of fully 3D games running beautifully on a damn GBA of all things but devs today can't optimize for shit even with all of this advanced hardware and technology we have today?

Seriously, WTF happened?

Seriously, if you follow a decent amount of developers/programmers on twitter, a couple things become obvious:

• Game developers and game development is like the bottom rung for programmers.  A great stepping stone, but the best ones ALWAYS move on to where they feel they can make the most difference and far better opportunities. 
  • When all metaverse shit started gaining traction, a LOT of the better, truly knowledgeable developers, were lured away from game development with massive pay days.. the likes of which game developers simply cannot afford to compete with.

So there's essentially a brain drain and constant fight for talent.  I mean it's not like ALL developers run and abandon gaming... a ton of them do it out of love.. but if you can make 3-4x more.. that's a strong incentive to leave.  And so you're left with the true hobbyists and nerds who love to tinker with shit, that truly still pull off incredible feats of programming by pushing the limit of older hardware, because they find it challenging and interesting. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Remij said:

Seriously, if you follow a decent amount of developers/programmers on twitter, a couple things become obvious:

• Game developers and game development is like the bottom rung for programmers.  A great stepping stone, but the best ones ALWAYS move on to where they feel they can make the most difference and far better opportunities. 
  • When all metaverse shit started gaining traction, a LOT of the better, truly knowledgeable developers, were lured away from game development with massive pay days.. the likes of which game developers simply cannot afford to compete with.

So there's essentially a brain drain and constant fight for talent.  I mean it's not like ALL developers run and abandon gaming... a ton of them do it out of love.. but if you can make 3-4x more.. that's a strong incentive to leave.  And so you're left with the true hobbyists and nerds who love to tinker with shit, that truly still pull off incredible feats of programming by pushing the limit of older hardware, because they find it challenging and interesting. 

That’s why I love indie games. Viewfinder is a great example of developers/programmers who love the craft. 

Tomb Raider at 14 FPS and 240p. 

giphy.gif

Fucking nerds losers. :D 

I got a PS1 game to run on a calculator, it's unplayable but what an important achievement. One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

• Haha 1