is steam deck oled worth 650?

ive been considering a mid tier gaming system for way too long now but suddenly a steam oled seems like a good alternative. Whoever has bought one, how do you like it?

18 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The Legion Go is on sale for $630 on Amazon and would also be worth considering for that price range.

i thought about that as well, actually pretty sure i could get it cheaper. However i feel like steam deck will survive and all these other companies are gambling much harder in the market.

Its crazy to me that people would pay 650 dollars for a gaming device that can barely run new games.

5 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

Its crazy to me that people would pay 650 dollars for a gaming device that can barely run new games.

It can play the vast majority of new games.  I mean the AAA games you're talking about... you get a few of them a year.. lmao.

Most 3rd party games will run just fine... assuming you have reasonably expectations for a handheld device.  And there will continue to be games for years and years which release and work on the device.  There's still like 4 more years left in this gen.. the requirements aren't going to be getting higher any time soon.

19 minutes ago, poopy_butt said:

i thought about that as well, actually pretty sure i could get it cheaper. However i feel like steam deck will survive and all these other companies are gambling much harder in the market.

I guess it depends on what you want to play. I think the Steam Deck's hardware is quite dated at this point so if newer 3D games are your focus then it might not be the right choice. I noticed recently that many journalists were posting Hellblade 2 loaded on their Allys but I saw nobody trying to play it on the Deck. Its probably not even working properly on that system which has been the case for some newer games.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

It can play the vast majority of new games.  I mean the AAA games you're talking about... you get a few of them a year.. lmao.

Most 3rd party games will run just fine... assuming you have reasonably expectations for a handheld device.  And there will continue to be games for years and years which release and work on the device.  There's still like 4 more years left in this gen.. the requirements aren't going to be getting higher any time soon.

reasonable expectations - 650 dollars for a portable ps3 LOL

2 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

reasonable expectations - 650 dollars for a portable ps3 LOL

~PS4 level experience.

And yea, I think that's pretty good.  Some of these games look amazing on the portable.. like, I can't believe it's running this shit, type shit. :smoke: 

That's the Switch expectation. I can't believe games run ( fucking poorly ) on my deck! 

:rofls:

3 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

That's the Switch expectation. I can't believe games run ( fucking poorly ) on my deck! 

:rofls:

:facep: 

I'll look back on this day some year in the future when you're gaming on a PC handheld and talking about how good it is  :juggle: 

I have the original 512gb deck from launch and it's great. If I were you I would get a cheaper one just because there's no telling when the successor will be released.

It's a great system.