Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Digital Foundry Analysis

3 minutes ago, Aza Team 2019 said:

Yes it's clear, Pro doesn't have screen tearing, and doesn't drop to 23fps at a scene that 30 on Pro.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-tech-analysis

Xbox One X also manages to deliver 30fps in most scenes but I noticed minor dips occurring more often, with noticeable judder and tearing. Dynamic resolution scaling - assuming it's not already implemented - could definitely help here. Scenes that render at 1080p60 in high frame-rate mode can struggle at 4K, suggesting a GPU bottleneck. Still, even with this issue, I'd have to give the nod to Xbox One X as the best version overall: while the minor tearing is annoying in 4K mode, the extra sharpness is noticeable throughout and if you prefer a faster frame-rate, the X version excels there as well. That's not to say the Pro version disappoints - it's a really slick product - but Microsoft's console has the edge

Edited by Carlos Vela
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea, well when your consoles misses out on tons of games and has no exclusives... you basically have nothing left other than that tiny bit of resolution

I must say, if you don't engage him directly - which I am loathe to do; he's entertaining as fuck. The circles he runs in to defend things, and the corners he boxes himself into are fantastic.  

Here you go again, butthurt and running to alternative sources.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

LMFAO... did you see that AA setting you fucking retard?  He changes it part way through... it was at SMAA4X... ROFL... he changed it after to OFF and the fps jumped to 90... then turned the settings to Ultra and the fps was at 50...

X1X = somewhere between a 1060 and 1070...  With horrible tearing, input lag, and fps drops :hehe: 

i edited it before you noticed.

Jesus what is your problem.

What makes you expect the PC version to have better input lag if  all versions  are doing 60 FPS?

8 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

i edited it before you noticed.

Jesus what is your problem.

What makes you expect the PC version to have better input lag if  all versions  are doing 60 FPS?

Because the same was true with Rise.. and input lag isn't only tied directly to fps... running higher fps is but one thing that affects input lag.  Monitors also have much faster response times and refresh-rates... not to mention disabling vsync and using gsync vastly improves responsiveness. 

12 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Because the same was true with Rise.. and input lag isn't only tied directly to fps... running higher fps is but one thing that affects input lag.  Monitors also have much faster response times and refresh-rates... not to mention disabling vsync and using gsync vastly improves responsiveness. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-how-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-on-xbox-one-x-improves-over-ps4-pro

Let's talk basics first - an on-site Square-Enix representative told us that talented Dutch developer Nixxes has handled the port on behalf of Crystal Dynamics. It's an interesting choice bearing in mind that Crystal produced the original Xbox One version. However, the benefits are obvious - Nixxes is responsible for the PC, Xbox 360, PS4 and PS4 Pro versions of the game, and this means that the X version runs with the enhancements made on the latest PS4 update. Case in point: Crystal never fixed the input lag issues on the original Xbox One release, while the X port retains the crisper right-stick control of the latest PS4 title update.

16 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-how-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-on-xbox-one-x-improves-over-ps4-pro

Let's talk basics first - an on-site Square-Enix representative told us that talented Dutch developer Nixxes has handled the port on behalf of Crystal Dynamics. It's an interesting choice bearing in mind that Crystal produced the original Xbox One version. However, the benefits are obvious - Nixxes is responsible for the PC, Xbox 360, PS4 and PS4 Pro versions of the game, and this means that the X version runs with the enhancements made on the latest PS4 update. Case in point: Crystal never fixed the input lag issues on the original Xbox One release, while the X port retains the crisper right-stick control of the latest PS4 title update.

That changes none of what I said man.  lol

Rise was ALWAYS more responsive on PC than the console versions, regardless of visual or performance modes..  The console versions went from bad to ok.. through various patches.  This game apparently is just as bad as the original XO version was... on PRO and X1X at this very moment... that's not encouraging.  The PC version of Rise was fine while the others were not.  Maybe Shadow will be worse... but it stands to reason that again the PC version will be better in that regard compared to the consoles.

We'll see I guess :shrug: 

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

That changes none of what I said man.  lol

Rise was ALWAYS more responsive on PC than the console versions.  The console versions went from bad to ok..

Yawn you're boring

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-face-off

In fact, there is a strong argument that in one sense at least, the Xbox 360 game is actually more playable than its current-gen sibling. On Xbox One, we complained about input latency and its impact on the game experience. It's not unlike Killzone 2 or the initial release of Uncharted 3 - there's just enough latency there to make aiming mildly frustrating at times. Moving to Xbox 360, we were stunned to discover that this same issue does not exist on Microsoft's older console to anything like the same extent.

In fact, Rise of the Tomb Raider feels significantly more responsive here on Xbox 360. Pulling off headshots and manipulating the camera is a joy and the entire game feels more satisfying to play. So we decided to pop in copies of Tomb Raider 2013 on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 only to discover that these versions feel similar to the last-gen sequel. We're certainly hoping that Crystal Dynamics can sort out this issue on Xbox One in the future but right now, for Xbox 360 owners, there is nothing to worry about.

THANK NIXXES

4 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

Yawn you're boring

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-face-off

In fact, there is a strong argument that in one sense at least, the Xbox 360 game is actually more playable than its current-gen sibling. On Xbox One, we complained about input latency and its impact on the game experience. It's not unlike Killzone 2 or the initial release of Uncharted 3 - there's just enough latency there to make aiming mildly frustrating at times. Moving to Xbox 360, we were stunned to discover that this same issue does not exist on Microsoft's older console to anything like the same extent.

In fact, Rise of the Tomb Raider feels significantly more responsive here on Xbox 360. Pulling off headshots and manipulating the camera is a joy and the entire game feels more satisfying to play. So we decided to pop in copies of Tomb Raider 2013 on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 only to discover that these versions feel similar to the last-gen sequel. We're certainly hoping that Crystal Dynamics can sort out this issue on Xbox One in the future but right now, for Xbox 360 owners, there is nothing to worry about.

THANK NIXXES

I'm not sure what you're trying to say... lmao 

I think it's hilarious that you think you're making some point here....  The fact is that currently... Shadow on X1X and PRO have terrible input lag... to the same extent as they did Rise of the TR...  PC never had that problem.. and I don't expect it to be so here either.. both games have performance (60fps modes)... So your point about "all versions targeting 60fps" means nothing..

Carlos... cmon man :D 

Just now, Remij_ said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say... lmao 

I think it's hilarious that you think you're making some point here....  The fact is that currently... Shadow on X1X and PRO have terrible input lag... to the same extent as they did Rise of the TR...  PC never had that problem.. and I don't expect it to be so here either..

Carlos... cmon man :D 

Becaue NIxxes fixed it ya idiot,  not because PC and 360 are some magical platforms

All the input lag problems ive read about for Rise of Tomb Raider stem from The Xbox One version only 

4 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

Becaue NIxxes fixed it ya idiot,  not because PC and 360 are some magical platforms

All the input lag problems ive read about for Rise of Tomb Raider stem from The Xbox One version only 

What the FUCK does that change?  Shadow is being developed for PC by Nixxes Carlos....

Did I say that the PC and 360 are special in any way.. or that the XO and PS4 couldn't BE better than they were?  No... I said they ALSO targeted 60fps for Rise and STILL HAD input lag... meaning that YOUR POINT about the fact that "all versions were targeting 60fps" meant nothing.... jeez :shake: 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

What the FUCK does that change?  Shadow is being developed for PC by Nixxes Carlos....

I honestly didnt know that,  would have saved us both a lot of time if you just said that from the beginning.  LMAO

I thought Eidos was developing for every system,   and if that was the case than input lag would likely by the same for all systems.  But since PC is getting NIXXES,  which fixed the input lag problems in the last game,  than yah,  PC probably wont have the Input Lag problems.

Hopefully this time they actually fix this damn issue,  luckily i don't buy single player games like these until they're like $20 or less.   So im giving them plenty of time to fix it

Does the PC Version have Dolby Atmos?  I know the Xbox version does,  and NXGamer was raving about the sound. 

16 hours ago, Carlos Vela said:

I honestly didnt know that,  would have saved us both a lot of time if you just said that from the beginning.  LMAO

I thought Eidos was developing for every system,   and if that was the case than input lag would likely by the same for all systems.  But since PC is getting NIXXES,  which fixed the input lag problems in the last game,  than yah,  PC probably wont have the Input Lag problems.

Hopefully this time they actually fix this damn issue,  luckily i don't buy single player games like these until they're like $20 or less.   So im giving them plenty of time to fix it

Does the PC Version have Dolby Atmos?  I know the Xbox version does,  and NXGamer was raving about the sound. 

lol yea I guess.. I thought you knew... but anyway.. the point stands.  Just because a game targets 60fps across platforms doesn't mean the input lag will be the same.. even if it is the same developer.

As far as Dolby Atmos, I don't think so.  I know you can enable it in Windows and it supposedly helps even non Atmos enabled media/software to have better spacial sound.  There a few games on PC that do support it though... but there's no mention of it for Shadow of the Tomb Raider on anything other than Xbox afaik.

Another thing I want to say @DynamiteCop! is that I asked John from DF what was up with the discrepancy between his and NXGamers numbers.. and he said he initially thought it was dynamic too, but that he contacted the developer and they said it was fixed at 3584x2016, and since it was the consistent number he found, so he's confident that it is.  He said the specular light pass can look a tad bit chunky in Shadow, as they did in Rise, which might throw off some counts.   So considering he contacted the developer about it.. and they confirmed it was fixed.. I'll admit I was wrong.  Seems like it IS fixed... but it also doesn't change anything that I said regarding the performance profile of the game in comparison to PC.

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Another thing I want to say @DynamiteCop! is that I asked John from DF what was up with the discrepancy between his and NXGamers numbers.. and he said he initially thought it was dynamic too, but that he contacted the developer and they said it was fixed at 3584x2016, and since it was the consistent number he found, so he's confident that it is.  He said the specular light pass can look a tad bit chunky in Shadow, as they did in Rise, which might throw off some counts.   So considering he contacted the developer about it.. and they confirmed it was fixed.. I'll admit I was wrong.  Seems like it IS fixed... but it also doesn't change anything that I said regarding the performance profile of the game in comparison to PC.

Well, well, well. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

30 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

DynamiteCop was finally right about something.... well look at that. :ooh:

The ironic thing is that DF was essentially wrong... meaning that they counted dynamic.. but called the developer to ask and they said it was fixed... lmao

For all we know it really IS dynamic since now we know that that's what BOTH NXG and DF counted... but DF changed it after contacting the dev.

5 hours ago, Remij_ said:

The ironic thing is that DF was essentially wrong... meaning that they counted dynamic.. but called the developer to ask and they said it was fixed... lmao

For all we know it really IS dynamic since now we know that that's what BOTH NXG and DF counted... but DF changed it after contacting the dev.

See what if the reality is like what I said with Far Cry 5, that being this was the case there and is equally the case here. I think John had it right in both instances, I think the TAA tripped up these other analysts and they reported dynamic figures whereas he kept coming up with the same number. What happened here is no doubt John wasn't entirely positive if it was dynamic or not, he probably kept getting the same number but with some inconsistency so he reported it as such in the video. What he said was correct in his analysis, he said there's evidence that there may be dynamic scaling but in every test case the same figure came up. That's a good way of saying I always got the same number but there was some error involved.  

From his comments and replies to my thread line in the comments section on Eurogamer it appears Eidos was contacted after the fact due to differing opinions on results in the community. TAA fucks people up like I've said, and I'm not saying these other guys are less capable but for the same thing I argued with Far Cry 5, we got confirmation here for this game from the developer themselves that exactly what I thought was the case there was the case here. That absolutely increases the likelihood I was right in both instances, I'm sure these other two analysts are good at what they do but they might not be as competent as sifting through TAA to get a real count. We both know TAA can throw a count as it manipulates geometric edges.

I'm not going to argue about that again for Far Cry 5 but... :yeshrug: