Gwent Thonebreaker media and previews - A 'full-fledged Witcher RPG'

Mad props to CDPR for all the effort they've been putting into this spin off series. Just look at how much they've improved the boards, that was actually one of my few problems with standalone Gwent. they were bland and cartoony, and just did not fit the universe at all

old:

news41969_20509-thronebreaker_the_witche

New (and theres at least 1 unique board per faction):

gwent-new-board.png

Edited by Twinblade
1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

card games, i'm sure people are dying to play artifact as well :tom:

yeah laugh at one of the most popular and successful genres in gaming at the moment, while you hype a racing game. :drake:

Well , here's the thing. I love Gwent, but I don't know about playing Gwent that many times over, and over, and over again.

This game reminds me of Puzzle Quest, which was one of the most addictive experiences I have ever had playing games.

Puzzle Quest has TONS of enemy encounters, TONS. And it was playable because the main gameplay was Bejeweled, and you could play Bejeweled rather quickly. Some fights would last no more than 2 minutes. And it was a constant back and forth.

Gwent plays a bit more slowly than that. Its satisfying because you have to think about some strategy. But I don't know about playing 2,000 matches of Gwent during a 30 hour campaign.

Puzzle Quest also had fantastic in-game music.

Just now, モンキー said:

Not that Forza won't be fantastic, but laughing at a card game backed and made by VALVE is just :pavarotti:

Not to mention, a card game RPG with an actual good story, characters, world, and fully voice acted.. could be amazing.

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

DynamiteCop simply doesn't like it because he can't physically collect the Gwent cards :smug: 

I actually bought both sets of Gwent packages that CDPR sold through their website.

I'd never own any type of board game or anything like that before. But I was thinking of trying to teach my friends how to play Gwent.

After I played RDR back in 2015, I was thinking of trying to get a Texas Hold'em game started with my friends, with chips and everything.

38 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Well , here's the thing. I love Gwent, but I don't know about playing Gwent that many times over, and over, and over again.

This game reminds me of Puzzle Quest, which was one of the most addictive experiences I have ever had playing games.

Puzzle Quest has TONS of enemy encounters, TONS. And it was playable because the main gameplay was Bejeweled, and you could play Bejeweled rather quickly. Some fights would last no more than 2 minutes. And it was a constant back and forth.

Gwent plays a bit more slowly than that. Its satisfying because you have to think about some strategy. But I don't know about playing 2,000 matches of Gwent during a 30 hour campaign.

Puzzle Quest also had fantastic in-game music.

The preview mentions that the encounters have puzzle mechanics and other unique aspects to break things up. The game isn’t just going to be made up of a bunch of standard Gwent matches.

Edited by Twinblade
14 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I actually bought both sets of Gwent packages that CDPR sold through their website.

I'd never own any type of board game or anything like that before. But I was thinking of trying to teach my friends how to play Gwent.

After I played RDR back in 2015, I was thinking of trying to get a Texas Hold'em game started with my friends, with chips and everything.

I wasn't even aware that those actually existed.  There isn't an actual card game for Gwent, is there?  Are you actually able to play against people?

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

I wasn't even aware that those actually existed.  There isn't an actual card game for Gwent, is there?  Are you actually able to play against people?

It was real. They sold them on their website right around the time they were announcing each one of their DLC expansions.

So I bought them for $20 each (I believe) months apart. I haven't opened them, but I believe it does not come with a board.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

It was real. They sold them on their website right around the time they were announcing each one of their DLC expansions.

So I bought them for $20 each (I believe) months apart. I haven't opened them, but I believe it does not come with a board.

That's pretty awesome.  There's a lot of potential with the IP.  I'm definitely interested in Thronebreaker now that I've seen more of it.  Gonna have to give it a try.

For anyone wondering, it's not releasing on Steam.  It's a GoG only release on PC Oct 23rd and XO and PS4 on Dec 4th.  They really should make a Switch version of this game as well.  It makes a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, Remij_ said:

That's pretty awesome.  There's a lot of potential with the IP.  I'm definitely interested in Thronebreaker now that I've seen more of it.  Gonna have to give it a try.

For anyone wondering, it's not releasing on Steam.  It's a GoG only release on PC Oct 23rd and XO and PS4 on Dec 4th.  They really should make a Switch version of this game as well.  It makes a lot of sense. 

Thank god for consoles, none of this gay let's have 8 different game platforms on one device...