Why can't we have civil discussions on race, gender and politics?

Sam Harris wanted the TSA to racially profile people at the security checkpoints.  You don't get to push an idea like that and then bemoan the lack of civil discussion.

No idea who the others are, but that's when Sam Harris stepped in the cultural shit.

Just now, McWickedSmawt85 said:

Sam Harris wanted the TSA to racially profile people at the security checkpoints.  You don't get to push an idea like that and then bemoan the lack of civil discussion.

No idea who the others are, but that's when Sam Harris stepped in the cultural shit.

Is this an out of context thing you read on the Salon hit piece? 

• Haha 1
Just now, Cookester15 said:

Is this an out of context thing you read on the Salon hit piece? 

Nah, he said it straight up.  Tried to soften the blow with the old "this profile would include me".  I'll try and find it for you, it's been a few years.

Just now, McWickedSmawt85 said:

Nah, he said it straight up.  Tried to soften the blow with the old "this profile would include me".  I'll try and find it for you, it's been a few years.

He said In 2012 the TSA should not waste their time with secondary screening on people they know have zero chance of being a Muslim jihadist.  Is that really off the deep end for you? 

Should the TSA spend as much time on a ginger girl from Iceland as a 28 year old male from Saudi Arabia?  Flying is not a right. If people from a certain region are more prone to hijacking planes why can't they spend more time profiling those people? If people that looked like me and didn't believe in God started doing the same thing I would understand it completely.  

22 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

He said In 2012 the TSA should not waste their time with secondary screening on people they know have zero chance of being a Muslim jihadist.  Is that really off the deep end for you? 

Should the TSA spend as much time on a ginger girl from Iceland as a 28 year old male from Saudi Arabia?  Flying is not a right. If people from a certain region are more prone to hijacking planes why can't they spend more time profiling those people? If people that looked like me and didn't believe in God started doing the same thing I would understand it completely.  

The TSA should be screening everyone equally, yes.  I'm all for privatization of the TSA because A: they're ineffective at their current job anyway and B ) that means we shouldn't be paying as much as we do if we're getting jack shit out of it.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2015/06/airport-security-astoundingly-expensive-and-95-percent-ineffective/394778/

If you wanna have a discussion of security, then the problem is with how ineffective the TSA is as a whole.  If you're worried about terrorism, then you'll need to include basically every adult white guy since that's who commits the most terrorist acts in America:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/09/12/study-shows-two-thirds-us-terrorism-tied-right-wing-extremists

So yeah, it's a bit silly to be pointing the finger at an ineffective government agency that they don't stop brown people enough when all of our testing shows they don't stop anything at all, AND all the white terrorists outnumber the brown terrorists.  Besides, the core issue that allowed 9/11 to happen was taken care of in the months following where they replaced the doors to the cockpit with some heavy duty shit.  Nobody can get in there anymore to turn the plane into a flying cruise missile.  Everything that's been implemented since then is just security theater.  So if you want the TSA to stop more brown guys because it makes you feel safer, then OK.  But it won't make you safer.

15 minutes ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

The TSA should be screening everyone equally, yes.  I'm all for privatization of the TSA because A: they're ineffective at their current job anyway and B ) that means we shouldn't be paying as much as we do if we're getting jack shit out of it.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2015/06/airport-security-astoundingly-expensive-and-95-percent-ineffective/394778/

If you wanna have a discussion of security, then the problem is with how ineffective the TSA is as a whole.  If you're worried about terrorism, then you'll need to include basically every adult white guy since that's who commits the most terrorist acts in America:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/09/12/study-shows-two-thirds-us-terrorism-tied-right-wing-extremists

So yeah, it's a bit silly to be pointing the finger at an ineffective government agency that they don't stop brown people enough when all of our testing shows they don't stop anything at all, AND all the white terrorists outnumber the brown terrorists.  Besides, the core issue that allowed 9/11 to happen was taken care of in the months following where they replaced the doors to the cockpit with some heavy duty shit.  Nobody can get in there anymore to turn the plane into a flying cruise missile.  Everything that's been implemented since then is just security theater.  So if you want the TSA to stop more brown guys because it makes you feel safer, then OK.  But it won't make you safer.

Israel has the most enemies in the world. They have the strictest profiling in existence. They have never had a major airline incident. 

Anyways, this is off topic. Watch the video and then we can chat civilly about it. 

1 hour ago, McWickedSmawt85 said:

:snoop:

I guarantee you haven't read this in context

https://samharris.org/to-profile-or-not-to-profile/

Edited by Vini
2 minutes ago, Vini said:

Sweet gonna watch this

I know Sam and Maajid had a fallout with Pangburn over his shady business practices this must be a few months ago

Lol they suck

We do?  Right-wing white guys think they can just spew anything and show no hesitation, and I vehemently disagree with them mofos, but they are allowed to talk, and every other color or person or other white folk are allowed to ridicule and disagree with them. 

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Vini said:

:snoop:

I guarantee you haven't read this in context

https://samharris.org/to-profile-or-not-to-profile/

it's a rabit hole not worth discussing. I agree and I think I get Mich's point. Some liberties are more important than others. Less than 0.000001% of all muslims are terrorist plane bombers. It makes no sense to profile all muslims that go through the airport. You're jiddish. 

3 minutes ago, kokujin said:

it's a rabit hole not worth discussing. I agree and I think I get Mich's point. Some liberties are more important than others. Less than 0.000001% of all muslims are terrorist plane bombers. It makes no sense to profile all muslims that go through the airport. You're jiddish. 

Yea but let's not kid ourselves on why the TSA ramped up security after 9/11 it wasn't the mormon suicide bombers

I get your point that profiling can be harsh because obviously most Muslims are peaceful people who just want to get on with life but Sam's point is if you have an old lady in a wheel chair and a military age Muslim guy in a turban it doesn't make sense to search them both equally outside of some PC cultural expectation, it's extremely non efficient for a fast paced environment like an airport. And like Cooke pointed out Israel does this sort of profiling extremely efficiently  and successfully. 

I work in private security who’s work is very similar to TSA. The profiling isn’t and shouldn’t be based on race. More mannerisms and appearance of a threat. Profiling is absolutely necessary when assessing threats and sometimes a persons race can come into play but it shouldn’t be the only determining factor. I’m more reticent and cautious around the 50+ white dudes than most minorities. 

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

I work in private security who’s work is very similar to TSA. The profiling isn’t and shouldn’t be based on race. More mannerisms and appearance of a threat. Profiling is absolutely necessary when assessing threats and sometimes a persons race can come into play but it shouldn’t be the only determining factor. I’m more reticent and cautious around the 50+ white dudes than most minorities. 

TSA is not private security after 9/11 they had a very specific focus on preventing Islamic terrorism. This is not comparable.

Security work of any kind all depends on the context, if the situation lends itself to impartiality then more power to you be as fair as you can be. But if you're security at a Black Lives Matter rally for example then damn right you're gonna profile against bald white men and it should be that way. Same thing with airport security and middle aged Muslims

Political correctness has no place in this line of work IMO.

Edited by Vini
  • Upvote 3

By the way that is the exact same point Sam made 6 years ago that certain bad faith "intellectuals" like Ezra Klein and Reza Aslan use today to point to his supposed bigotry. Regurgitated by our resident SJW heroes.

Edited by Vini