If you have PS+ and been collecting games for years, how is that not already better than GamePass?

I just saw yesterday's press release for March's new GamePass games:

Which led to someone point this out:

Like, I guess I'd have to go and dig through all of my PSN transactions to pull out all of the PS+ Free games across all those platforms, but I wouldn't be surprised if my PS+ Free Game collection already exceeds what is on GamePass.

So, if I am renewing PS+ at full price ($60), that's costing me $5/month to keep on all of those games. I usually buy PS+ 12-Month Card when they go on sale for $40, that's $3.33/month.

And games don't get rotated out. I get Modern Warfare Remastered, I'll keep the game for as long as my subscription is active. It'll never get rotated out.

At this point, GamePass is really meant for having the opportunity to play specific Microsoft games at launch. Eventually, if someone had a Games with Gold subscription for a couple of years, their catalog would probably exceed 85% of the GamePass catalog.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems kind of silly to compare a service you've been subbed to for years to one that provides everything up front.

Just now, Hot Sauce said:

Seems kind of silly to compare a service you've been subbed to for years to one that provides everything up front.

yup. plus a lot of the ps4 games are old af. 

My biggest gripe with PS+ (and all these services really) is that games only get added after like 3 years. 

By that point, the games have probably had a number of sales/permanent price drops and if I haven't yet played them, it's probably not a matter of money and more one of time. If you're the type of person who wants to just give everything a try then I'm sure it's a decentservice. But tbh most months go by without me even bothering to download whatever they're offering because if I don't already own it I probably didnt' want it in the first place and it being free isn't going to change that. 

The only games I bothered downloading in 2018 were Iconoclasts, XCOM and Bloodborne. Bloodborne I only downloaded cause I figured having a digital copy would be nice. 

I'd much rather have games at launch. 

Edited by Casual
2 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

But in the real world, a regular console gamer would have probably had their PS+ subscription for years simply because they needed to play online.

I have accumulated a game library that's better than GamePass..............and didn't even realize it.

Buying one year of GamePass at $120 is the same amount of money I've spent on the last 3 years of PS+.

1 hour ago, Jon2B said:

Is this a real thought you had ?

Yup, I was just sitting here and the thought suddenly occurred to me that as useless as GamePass is, in general, it suddenly got a little bit more useless to me.

Its kind of like shuffling through the couch and accidentally finding a better console than the Xbox. Little surprises like that.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

Yup, I was just sitting here and the thought suddenly occurred to me that as useless as GamePass is, in general, it suddenly got a little bit more useless to me.

Its kind of like shuffling through the couch and accidentally finding a better console than the Xbox. Little surprises like that.

You're comparing years worth of games vs 10 dollars right now for 150 on the spot .

18 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

You're comparing years worth of games vs 10 dollars right now for 150 on the spot .

You're paying $10 to only have them for a month. And then you have nothing again. So GamePass must either become a long-term service in order for you to even boast about having 150 games, or you're really just paying $10 a month to play 2-3 games in full per month.

I'm paying $3.33 per month and had been getting at least 2 games a month.

And the $3.33 monthly cost was originally meant for online service on my Playstation products.

The way you are making your argument is like as if I paid $8 to go to a buffet, and I looked at all the food and said "I paid eight dollars for all of this food, all of this is mine."

No it isn't.

Psn games go away too .

10 dollars for 150 games , anytime 

Vs 

Xblg and plus , 4 dollars a month for 4 games ( 2 on PS4 )

It's a dumb comparison .

If someone buys a console now , or just now signs up for gp , they instantly have a catalog of 150 games .

3 hours ago, Jon2B said:

Psn games go away too .

10 dollars for 150 games , anytime 

Vs 

Xblg and plus , 4 dollars a month for 4 games ( 2 on PS4 )

It's a dumb comparison .

If someone buys a console now , or just now signs up for gp , they instantly have a catalog of 150 games .

No they don't.

They go away the same way GamePass goes away.........if you drop the subscription, you can't access the games.

And I don't know about GamePass, I presume your Xbox keeps your saves on local storage, but I believe PSN has a 6 month window to reactivate the account, and when you do, you still get to keep your previous PS+ games that you "purchased" for $0 when they were offering them that month.

It happened to me, I believe I allowed my account to lapse sometime around 2013, and then I re-subscribed, and all of those games now had purchase dates in 2013, even though I had gotten them in previous years.

Games with Gold simply hasn't offered better games than GamePass, and it'd be hilarious if there are overlaps of the same games, because that makes GamePass worth less. And you need to pay for XBL Gold because you need to get online anyways.

So the best thing you have to boast is that if a COMPLETE NON-GAMER were to an Xbox now, GamePass might be a good deal. You basically claimed something that doesn't apply to anybody on this forum.

Edited by jehurey

10 bucks a month is nothing money.  There are a bunch of games added monthly , a lot more than the 2 psn offers .

Sometimes good , sometimes bad . Don't like the new games that month , or don't have a backlog on GamePass , don't pay 10 dollars . Do like the new games , pay 10 dollars .

Plus it has all the new Ms games and sometimes day one titles on GamePass , and newer games than psn .

You're freaking out over 10 bucks , trying to down play it like it's some terrible value when homeless people could afford it 

5 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

10 bucks a month is nothing money.  There are a bunch of games added monthly , a lot more than the 2 psn offers .

Sometimes good , sometimes bad . Don't like the new games that month , or don't have a backlog on GamePass , don't pay 10 dollars . Do like the new games , pay 10 dollars .

Plus it has all the new Ms games and sometimes day one titles on GamePass , and newer games than psn .

You're freaking out over 10 bucks , trying to down play it like it's some terrible value when homeless people could afford it 

Hell Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Just Cause 4 were just recently added, there's a lot of value there.

17 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

SO what you are saying is.........one "nothing money" service is superior to Xbox's "nothing money" service.

Yeah I got no problem with that.

9 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

PSN is not superior to GamePass. They aren't even comparable. 

GamePass competes with PSN NOW

PSN competes with GWG

You are dumb

wow, you are so scared of PS+ free games, that you don't want to compare it to GamePass.

They're quite comparable, especially when I saw that the "new games" were just 4 games.

Like.........you do understand that, for years, PS+ free games was a minimum of 4 games per month, right? Two PS4, Two PS3, and a Vita game. And they don't get lost, they don't get "rotated" out.

If you're barely getting into this console gen right now, I understand GamePass is an easier package.  But most gamers wouldn't have done that. The value has grown to the point where its inadvertently better than GamePass.

29 minutes ago, Jon2B said:

I really don't think that you know anything about games or game consoles.

No, I explained it in great detail, each plan, and their games, and how those plans work.

Let me know when you actually get around to doing that.

No, you didn't. You clearly don't know how the plans work when you say gamepass is only getting 4 games in march.

You don't know how GP works because you don't know about games.  As always, you are wrong.