I called this. MS plans to introduce new Gamepass Ultimate subscription tier

It includes Live Gold + Gamepass.. and will incorporate other services into the mix as well in the future.

I knew they would do this to get PC gamers helping to pay into Xbox Live... even if it's not directly.  This is obviously why they are pushing to get Gamepass going on PC, and they're going to sweeten the pot with other services which will entice players to sign up, and that $5 extra a month will go towards Xbox Live... since they're well aware that they can't simply start charging PC gamers for Xbox live separately.

This makes Gold for console gamers cheaper by the month, but paying more overall per year.  It's smart.

There's also going to be other tiers and services apparently.  Probably like the xCloud "stream your games anywhere" feature that Dynamite and I were talking about.. among other thing.

I'm sure everyone saw this coming, but yea.. smart move from them.  They've got to find a way to get PC players actually paying for some of these services.

It's a small discount for Lemmings dumb enough to pay for XBL + Gamepass.

That's all.

Now $5 for gamepass on PC or Switch and maybe this would be news worthy. As far as I can tell RE5 and 6 are on gamepass and we could use those on Switch, along with all the fauXsclusives.

Call me when MS sells their soul to N, otherwise this isn't newsworthy.

Does this mean that the $10 Game Pass subscription is ending and being replaced with a $15 subscription that is mandatory?

If that is the case, this isn't so cut and dry. This may just make people buy Game Pass Ultimate for certain months out of the year when a game launches.

12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Does this mean that the $10 Game Pass subscription is ending and being replaced with a $15 subscription that is mandatory?

If that is the case, this isn't so cut and dry. This may just make people buy Game Pass Ultimate for certain months out of the year when a game launches.

Nah, it appears to simply be another optional tier, which gives more incentive to get into Gamepass by adding $5 live into the mix.  People are more likely to think.. well, I might as well sub to Gamepass as well...it's only $5 more than Live or Gamepass by themselves.

Live Gold = $10

Gamepass = $10

Both together = $15

It causes the people who want Gamepass to "pay monthly for Live" instead of the cheaper yearly or quarterly plans.  So MS will get more money in the end.

The idea is that they are going to be adding more services to the pot in the future (also to get PC players on board) so Gamepass by itself will likely remain $10 for the foreseeable future.

15 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Nah, it appears to simply be another optional tier, which gives more incentive to get into Gamepass by adding $5 live into the mix.  People are more likely to think.. well, I might as well sub to Gamepass as well...it's only $5 more than Live or Gamepass by themselves.

Live Gold = $10

Gamepass = $10

Both together = $15

It causes the people who want Gamepass to "pay monthly for Live" instead of the cheaper yearly or quarterly plans.  So MS will get more money in the end.

The idea is that they are going to be adding more services to the pot in the future (also to get PC players on board) so Gamepass by itself will likely remain $10 for the foreseeable future.

If you're on PC, and Microsft offers Gamepass, wouldn't you just get the $10 version because you don't need to pay for XBL Gold?

6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

If you're on PC, and Microsft offers Gamepass, wouldn't you just get the $10 version because you don't need to pay for XBL Gold?

Well, presumably they are going to sweeten the Ultimate tier with other incentives PC gamers are likely to want.  Not sure what that would entail atm, but it seems like that's the idea to me.