Joyner Lucas ft. Logic - ISIS

17 minutes ago, Vini said:

Real hip hop is making a come back homies :bow:

It never left. :facep:

As radio listener's & physical media sales declined; internet based media (soundcloud, youtube, instagram, etc.) increased, it got harder to find in a passive state. On the flip side, the internet also provided a whole new generation the ability to reach out directly to their fans. No longer are we reliant on shitty A&R's to 'find' the next rapstar...

I like it. It’s not my favorite Joyner or Logic joint, but I like it. They are definitely 2 of the best rappers out there. Joyner has this raw intensity and Logic’s flow is always silky smooth. 

14 hours ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

It never left. :facep:

As radio listener's & physical media sales declined; internet based media (soundcloud, youtube, instagram, etc.) increased, it got harder to find in a passive state. On the flip side, the internet also provided a whole new generation the ability to reach out directly to their fans. No longer are we reliant on shitty A&R's to 'find' the next rapstar...

Internet based media is exactly what's propelling trash to the mainstream. 

https://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2018/rap-albums

Trash all the way down. Drake, Post Malone, Cardi B, Travis Scott fucking trash. Thank god Kendrick and Cole made it at the end. 

Now let's look at top listened to Soundcloud tracks of any given time

https://soundcloud.com/charts/top?genre=hiphoprap

Are you fucking kidding me? Half that shit isn't even comprehensible terrible mumblers on terrible samples. Literally the Top 10 is unlistenable trash. 

Fuck the internet. Hip Hop needs a hostile takeover from real rappers to take the whole game back. 

9 minutes ago, Casual said:

"Real hip hop is making a comeback"

A sentence that's impossible to say without sounding like a loser. 

Which is why I wrote it instead

Edited by Vini

the boom bap greatness is never coming back. i had actually ditched hip hop for a long time, because i just didn't like the direction it took. however, in the last 5 years, i've slowly started to embrace this new era, along with current heavyweights like kendrick and cole. speaking of cole, his track middle child really resonated with me. in a way, i was like the old gen of fans, where i couldn't let go of "the golden era" of hip hop, and would shun a lot of "nu rap". now, i'm digging some of these new artists. denzel curry (an artist hot sauce recommended) is really great! and while i don't think 21 savage is a great rapper, i do like his last album. it's simple, but it works, and there are moments of greatness (monster w/childish gambino). with that said, i can't stand all of the new "lil'" rappers. they just suck. i tried, and it's just not working lol. so, while a lot of the new stuff is crap, there's plenty of good/great rap/hip hop out there.

Edited by -GD-
19 minutes ago, -GD- said:

the boom bap greatness is never coming back. i had actually ditched hip hop for a long time, because i just didn't like the direction it took. however, in the last 5 years, i've slowly started to embrace this new era, along with current heavyweights like kendrick and cole. speaking of cole, his track middle child really resonated with me. in a way, i was like the old gen of fans, where i couldn't let go of "the golden era" of hip hop, and would shun a lot of "nu rap". now, i'm digging some of these new artists. denzel curry (an artist hot sauce recommended) is really great! and while i don't think 21 savage is a great rapper, i do like his last album. it's simple, but it works, and there are moments of greatness (monster w/childish gambino). with that said, i can't stand all of the new "lil'" rappers. they just suck. i tried, and it's just not working lol. so, while a lot of the new stuff is crap, there's plenty of good/great rap/hip hop out there.

yeah. there's plenty of good stuff just like there's plenty of bad stuff.

the thing is it's always been that way. take any genre and any time period and there's probably an overwhelming amount more bad music than good music. thing is after 10 years you just forget the bad stuff cause it never gets played anymore. when you hear a playlist of mid 90's rap it's been curated to hell and you're literally listening to the best songs/albums of that time period. 

• Like 1

also, for anyone who really wants that golden era of hip hop lyricism. 

it's still very much alive in battle rap. absolute peak of wordplay, metaphors, similes, etc. 

Edited by Casual
Just now, Casual said:

it's still very much alive in battle rap. 

i think kendrick's duckworth and how much a dollar cost are two of the best rap tracks ever, lyrically. some of the best storytelling. 

2 minutes ago, -GD- said:

i think kendrick's duckworth and how much a dollar cost are two of the best rap tracks ever, lyrically. some of the best storytelling. 

for sure, kendrick is just incredible...GKMC is one of the most cohesive albums i've ever heard. up there with illmatic and the score imho.

i love the beat on duckworth too. 

• Like 1
On 2019-05-24 at 3:47 PM, Casual said:

it's still very much alive in battle rap. absolute peak of wordplay, metaphors, similes, etc. 

That's the shit that I feel is making a comeback into the mainstream