New Xbox App is up on the store but you can't download it yet (new screens)

15 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Looking pretty good so far. I'm guessing this will go live tomorrow.

Yea, it says tomorrow.

Pretty nice.  Apparently it's built on something called Electron.  A framework for building native desktop apps with javascript, html, and CSS.

https://electronjs.org/

Seems pretty slick.

The only thing I'm concerned about looking at the pics is whether or not it will just show the games you have installed, or if there's a view to see all the games in your library?  If not.. they'll have to fix that. lol

unknown.png

They have Halo 5 there.. so maybe it's coming to PC as well?  Probably just a mess up with marketing anyway.. but Halo 5 Forge has a different cover.

Also MS definitely has at least one acquisition announcement.  Though I'm guessing it's probably the Ori developers Moonstudios.. or possibly Studio MDHR.

19 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea, it says tomorrow.

Pretty nice.  Apparently it's built on something called Electron.  A framework for building native desktop apps with javascript, html, and CSS.

https://electronjs.org/

Seems pretty slick.

The only thing I'm concerned about looking at the pics is whether or not it will just show the games you have installed, or if there's a view to see all the games in your library?  If not.. they'll have to fix that. lol

If I look at my games on Xbox.com it's only showing my digital games, but not my physical games. Not an indication of the app though, we'll see tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

If I look at my games on Xbox.com it's only showing my digital games, but not my physical games. Not an indication of the app though, we'll see tomorrow.

Well obviously it's not going to show your physical games.  Just the digital ones purchased through the store.

That's what I want though.. is to be able to see my library of purchased games listed and then be able to install them from the list.  From how it looks here, that's all going to be done through the store tab...and the list on the side is just quick access to your installed games.  It's likely the Store has a section for "my games" and that's where it will be done from.

If it's like that... it's not a huge deal really.. but it just makes more sense to me to list all the games associated with the account in the list and then we click and install them from there. 

Just now, Remij_ said:

Well obviously it's not going to show your physical games.  Just the digital ones purchased through the store.

That's what I want though.. is to be able to see my library of purchased games listed and then be able to install them from the list.  From how it looks here, that's all going to be done through the store tab and the list on the side is just quick access to your installed games.  It's likely the Store has a section for "my games" and that's where it will be done from.

If it's like that... it's not a huge deal really.. but it just makes more sense to me to list all the games associated with the account in the list and then we click and install them from there. 

I know this will never happen but it would be awesome if they somehow managed to make Play Anywhere apply to physical games, something like the game has to be in your Xbox and set to instant on so the system can do a check to confirm the disc is present which will allow it to execute on PC. 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

That's what I want though.. is to be able to see my library of purchased games listed and then be able to install them from the list.  From how it looks here, that's all going to be done through the store tab and the list on the side is just quick access to your installed games.  It's likely the Store has a section for "my games" and that's where it will be done from.

I don't see why it wouldn't be there? Even on the PlayStation Store you can do this (since PS3).

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I don't see why it wouldn't be there? Even on the PlayStation Store you can do this (since PS3).

The reason why I'm concerned about it is because the old Xbox app didn't have it either. 

You essentially had to install and view your library from the Store app.  On the side of the old Xbox app it just showed your recently played games and you could launch them from there.. you could never install them from the app itself.

My thing is.. here, obviously they've brought the store together... but it looks like it still might only show us (in the list on the side) which games we have installed... and not our entire library associated with the account.  Meaning that it looks like we still might have to go to the store tab.

Also, I wonder if once this app releases out of beta, if they'll completely remove the Xbox games from the Windows Store?

Also interested to see what the install process looks like and if they've added and improved it.  If they want this to succeed, it all has to work perfectly.  No fucking up and re-downloading the again after some error or some shit, which the Windows Store had issues with in the beginning. 

It's got to be perfect lmao.  MS don't fuck this up.. everyone is starting to give you goodwill again and are beginning to see you as genuine in your PC efforts... you fuck this up, and that's all gone :D 

Based on what Brad Sams is saying it looks like it is because they were unhappy with the Windows Store.

Minor Garrison things:

It's an xbox-built app, started becuase Xbox wasn't happy the direction Windows store was headed.

Currently only supports discovery of Microsoft store games - this may change though - meaning not steam/epic

-
Expecting studio acquisition announcement

Edited by lynux3

This app is running in 32-bit, and apparently tech websites describe as being slow and a memory hog, but the app is probably intended to run of older computers.

This specifically does NOT run on the UWP.

Other tidbits about the app that have found light include its codename Garrison, its Win32 architecture implying that Microsoft will be shelving its UWP version for its seemingly older design and its ability to download and install Game Pass games directly to PCs from within the app.

Perhaps, the most eyebrow-raising feature of the new Xbox app is its Electron nature as reported by Windows Central. While users will get a new Xbox app with better game-related integration from chat to download features, the app apparently will be a rather heavy piece of software.

Zac Bowden of Windows Central is reporting via Twitter that the app reaches Chrome levels of memory consumption.

11 minutes ago, jehurey said:

This app is running in 32-bit, and apparently tech websites describe as being slow and a memory hog, but the app is probably intended to run of older computers.

This specifically does NOT run on the UWP.

It's not a fucking gig LMAO..  It was 200MB installed..