No more OG and 360 backwards compatible game announcements will come for Xbox One and X1X

Yikes. Moving onto Scarlett BC?

Edit: Yes.

We’ve listened closely to community feedback and respect the game libraries you’ve built throughout the last 18 years. That’s why we’re taking our work a step further and announced this week that thousands of games from all four generations will be playable on Project Scarlett. As such, we have now shifted our focus to help make the games you love playing on Xbox One compatible with future Xbox hardware. After this week, we have no plans to add additional Original Xbox or Xbox 360 titles to the catalog on Xbox One, but we’re excited to continue our work on Xbox compatibility across platforms and devices, which remains a top priority.

Glad they're Xbox One X enhancing the RARE games, took them long enough.

Edited by lynux3
4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Yikes. Moving onto Scarlett BC?

Scarlett will be 100% backwards compatible with everything Xbox One consoles can play.

They mentioned that BC efforts were done for the moment.  Presumably it's too complicated to get other games working properly on Xbox One hardware, so it may start up again when X2 comes and they have more power to brute force things.. I'm guessing.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Could Scarlett have a native emulation layer so they're simply scrapping the program?

Who knows.. but they will have infinitely more power with the new CPUs.  They might be able to just brute force OG and 360 emulation fullstop.  We'll see.

4 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Could Scarlett have a native emulation layer so they're simply scrapping the program?

For Xbox One games? Sure. For Xbox 360 and Xbox? No.

I always figured that the virtualization layer was basically going to be carry over and work forward and backward, but apparently not.

16 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

For Xbox One games? Sure. For Xbox 360 and Xbox? No.

I always figured that the virtualization layer was basically going to be carry over and work forward and backward, but apparently not.

I don't know man.

I don't know man.

Yeah no doubt it's going to support backwards compatibility for all Xbox generations. I was just curious as to how they're doing it then because I always figured they were running a super light instance of Hyper-V (or their emulation layer) which, in my mind, would make it easier to have their current backwards compatibility solution forward compatible. Hearing that they're stopping backwards compatibility on Xbox One consoles makes me think otherwise.

Hoiy shit maybe I was actually right.... It's going to have native comparability and will likely intercept the code and increase the resolution through emulation.

That’s why we’re taking our work a step further and announced this week that thousands of games from all four generations will be playable on Project Scarlett. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!

Hoiy shit maybe I was actually right.... It's going to have native comparability and will likely intercept the code and increase the resolution through emulation.

That’s why we’re taking our work a step further and announced this week that thousands of games from all four generations will be playable on Project Scarlett. 

So they would just work ? Thatd be pretty dope

We already knew that though, right? I believe Xbox One's backwards compatibility may be hardware and software based for Project Scarlett... same for next-gen PlayStation. So why the need to stop adding titles (Xbox and Xbox 360) to Xbox One S/X if its all emulated?

Edited by lynux3
Just now, lynux3 said:

We already knew that though, right? I believe Xbox One's backwards compatibility may be hardware and software based for Project Scarlett... same for next-gen PlayStation. So why the need to stop adding titles (Xbox and Xbox 360) to Xbox One S/X if its all emulated?

Well the Xbox One was never built with the intention of doing what it is so maybe Scarlett is. Things are beginning to wrap up and I get what you're saying but it seems like they need to focus elsewhere so it's simply drawing to a close as is.

The next console will be so powerful as Remij said that it can likely just brute force anything to native 4K with absolutely no need to optimize around specific games so they can just open up the emulation to everything. 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Well the Xbox One was never built with the intention of doing what it is so maybe Scarlett is. Things are beginning to wrap up and I get what you're saying but it seems like they need to focus elsewhere so it's simply drawing to a close as is.

The next console will be so powerful as Remij said that it can likely just brute force anything to native 4K with absolutely no need to optimize around specific games so they can just open up the emulation to everything. 

I imagine the backwards compat team isn't the biggest so resources are limited. It does make sense to move them onto the next platform.