So we essentially know what SSD (controller) the Xbox Series X is going to have..

ssdlwk69.png

I wonder what they are going to have in place of the DRAM for caching? 🤔

edit: apparently no DRAM means that is uses software defined storage.

Edited by Remij_
  • Remij changed the title to So we essentially know what SSD (controller) the Xbox Series X is going to have..
4 hours ago, Remij_ said:

E16 is 5GB/s
E19 is less. It lacks dram and is cheaper.

Maybe Sony has the E16 and MS has the E19?

PS5 = ~5GBs

XSX = ~3GBs

There was an article about Phison claiming they aren't supplying controllers to Sony. I guess it is entirely possible now that Sony have made their own based on the patents.

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

There was an article about Phison claiming they aren't supplying controllers to Sony. I guess it is entirely possible now that Sony have made their own based on the patents.

Yea I remember hearing about that.  Sony's definitely doing their own thing with regards to the controller I'm sure.

Like Cerny said though.. it's not JUST the throughput of the SSD (controller) it's the software stack and I/O mechanisim itself.  Sony's going to have a custom filesystem and custom designed controller running on what is probably a PCIe4.0 x4 bus. :whew: 

It seems like MS is going for the cheaper, off the shelf parts.  Which may or may not have implications for user upgradability..  I wonder how it's all going to turn out?  Who would have thought that the storage solutions of these two consoles would end up being the most interesting things about them?  lol

13 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Either everyone owns everything or no one owns anything.

2GBs is still going to be a huge game changer.  As was said by Cerny.. it's not just the speed of the controller.. it's the I/O bus, the software stack (filesystems, compression ect) on top of that which will push the capabilities of the drive further.  Since they're planning on using the drive as virtual RAM, they've got a reason to push latencies down as low as possible.  You're essentially going to have a drive that can read and write super fast.

2GBs with 13GB of usable RAM.. that's ~6 seconds max to swap out the entire RAM.  Considering that no game is going to be swapping out the entire memory from one frame to the next.. that kind of performance is easily hidden.  Say 3 seconds and you're in your game from the main menu.  A simple fade to black and the game has started.

Very cool stuff.

I can imagine stuff like this Heretic tech demo from Unity.  Where at one point the character spawns a portal, and this cool effect happens and transforms the environment to something completely different.

They just released the full video version of this tech demo today actually..  It's pretty fucking sick.  Running on a 2080ti.  The part I'm talking about starts at about 1m50s

You can imagine things like that with spells and teleporting and stuff like that.  As good as this tech demo is.. it's just the beginning.  UE4 and others will blow this away.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Remij_ said:

2GBs is still going to be a huge game changer.  As was said by Cerny.. it's not just the speed of the controller.. it's the I/O bus, the software stack (filesystems, compression ect) on top of that which will push the capabilities of the drive further.  Since they're planning on using the drive as virtual RAM, they've got a reason to push latencies down as low as possible.  You're essentially going to have a drive that can read and write super fast.

2GBs with 13GB of usable RAM.. that's ~6 seconds max to swap out the entire RAM.  Considering that no game is going to be swapping out the entire memory from one frame to the next.. that kind of performance is easily hidden.  Say 3 seconds and you're in your game from the main menu.  A simple fade to black and the game has started.

Very cool stuff.

I can imagine stuff like this Heretic tech demo from Unity.  Where at one point the character spawns a portal, and this cool effect happens and transforms the environment to something completely different.

They just released the full video version of this tech demo today actually..  It's pretty fucking sick.  Running on a 2080ti.  The part I'm talking about starts at about 1m50s

You can imagine things like that with spells and teleporting and stuff like that.  As good as this tech demo is.. it's just the beginning.  UE4 and others will blow this away.

That video was gorgeous! 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Ike said:

I’d prefer again if most Sony games target the 30 FPS and maximize the visuals. I can’t even begin to imagine what a next gen Spider-man or Quantic Dream’s next game is going to be. 

"I want the same consoles again and the same problems"

That's basically all I'm getting from this. 

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

"I want the same consoles again and the same problems"

That's basically all I'm getting from this. 

I’m specifically talking Sony’s first party studios for their games. I’m sure 3rd party studios can target 60 FPS for their games. This has zero to do with the hardware itself especially since we don’t know specs at all. 

I'd like to point something out...

Even if this were true I doubt it on every front, and the difference in read/write speed is not the only determinate. We don't know what the system RAM is, how fast it is, its capacity or how it will interact with the SSD. What if Microsoft has higher capacity and faster RAM and the SSD while important is not as much of a determinant as to what can be loaded in as it would be on the PlayStation 5?

You guys are chomping at the bit way too much and getting really fucking stupid in the process. Sony already showed their Spider-Man demonstration and it only shows a 9.75x increase in speed over the Pro, and the Pro loads in slower than the One X which has a 60 MB/s throughput.

That means this scene is basically loading in at 500-550 MB/s and you people are talking about 5,000 MB/s drives and shit... Come back down to reality...

You guys are getting really dumb with this shit.

Edited by DynamiteCop!