Sony's method of supporting BC sounds like it's really going to hamper them this coming gen

It gets more certain each day that Sony has elected to go with a 36CU part for PS5, and it's becoming clearer that they are going to be in the 9TF range.. essentially only reaching that performance by clocking the GPU at @2ghz.

The rumor is that Sony's going with more extravagant cooling solution because they are forced to push clocks higher since their method of maintaining backwards compatibility is reliant upon the hardware mimicking as close as possible the performance characteristics of the PS4 consoles.  Thus requiring more expensive cooling.  This essentially locks Sony down to 36CUs.

Apparently MS has known this for a while now, and know that Sony's been struggling to push clocks as high as they can go.  This is why pricing is way too important for Sony right now.  They absolutely want to hit the highest price they can while still being under MS... because it's not going to look good for them if MS has a 3TF more powerful console and they both come in at the same price.

A Lockhart console could really pressure Sony from both ends.  If MS is willing to take more of a loss on Series X and make it up on the lower end with Lockhart... they could really pressure Sony.

32 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Let's wait for the price of the  three consoles before we make a judgement.

Who's making any judgement though?  The thread is about PS5 being limited by their method of BC.  Regardless of their price, it puts them in a situation where moving forward they have to continually do this to maintain support... where MS is actually doing emulation and can scale.

all they need to do is be able to play PS4 games, that's it. anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

It doesn't matter that MS has 4 gens of B/C because they've lost every exclusive across pretty much all 4 of those gens. Even with B/C they still look like a multiplat dumping ground box.

Until MS can get some defining exclusives only available on their console, they'll always be on the brink of closing up shop and being thrown out of the console business. And No, PC Fauxclusives don't count either. Only on console or bust.

Edited by Bodycount N
5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

It gets certain each day? No. The console specifications are locked down tight. No one is spilling the beans.

Yes... it's getting more certain each day that Sony has a 36CU part... limiting them to ~9TF.  It's getting more certain that they are pushing frequencies higher to help mitigate that.

They can hold off as long as possible... but GDC is coming lmao... the cat is going to be out of the bag soon enough.

Also, the silence now from the PS insiders is deafening :hest: 

Edited by Remij_
8 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yes... it's getting more certain each day that Sony has a 36CU part... limiting them to ~9TF.  It's getting more certain that they are pushing frequencies higher to help mitigate that.

They can hold off as long as possible... but GDC is coming lmao... the cat is going to be out of the bag soon enough.

You're just circling back around the Github regression testing with BC which that data has been available for ~8 months. How is that now becoming certain each day to you? Oh I know... because Bloomberg's alleged information on Sony paying a "few dollars" for a cooling system as opposed to "less than a dollar"? Come on.

If that's the case, I guess OsirisBlack and Kleegamefan are right and it's certain that PS5 is going to be 12TF+.

Hopefully GDC 2020 brings in the goods. Not going to happen, but it'd be cool to see some leaked footage from a game or something.

Edited by lynux3
6 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

You're just circling back around the Github regression testing with BC which that data has been available for ~8 months. How is that now becoming certain each day to you? Oh I know... because Bloomberg's alleged information on Sony paying a "few dollars" for a cooling system as opposed to "less than a dollar"? Come on.

If that's the case, I guess OsirisBlack and Kleegamefan are right and it's certain that PS5 is going to be 12TF+.

Hopefully GDC 2020 brings in the goods. Not going to happen, but it'd be cool to see some leaked footage from a game or something.

Nah.  You're in denial.  It's becoming painfully obvious that Sony knows MS has the better machine and struggling to decide what to price the system at.  When you come to grips with that, then you can see all the shit is falling into place.

That insider Klee has gone COMPLETELY silent after Tom Warren made a mockery of him and called what he knew into question.

PS5 isn't going to be 12TF+... guaranteed.

Edited by Remij_
Just now, Team 2019 said:

Remember when One had a higher BOM and bigger APU? Everyone remembers how that turned out.

It's different this time since it's basically guaranteed Microsoft isn't going to be putting in any ESRAM on their APU. 

Just now, Remij_ said:

Nah.  You're in denial.  It's becoming painfully obvious that Sony knows MS has the better machine.  When you come to grips with that, then you can see all the shit is falling into place.

That insider Klee has gone COMPLETELY silent after Tom Warren made a mockery of him and called what he knew into question.

PS5 isn't going to be 12TF+... guaranteed.

No. You're ~8 months late to the party. :drake:

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

No. You're ~8 months late to the party. :drake:

lmao wtf... You know I've known about those tests since the beginning... I'm not even referencing them... lmao.  Try harder.

NEW sources are reporting that Sony is stuck clocking high to maintain BC.  People at MS have heard and apparently know the same...

Oh... you think Sony's going to come with a 12TF+ GPU, a better SSD solution, more ram... and be smaller and more compact..... AND cost less than Xbox.. :danylol:

Klee got fucked... lmao Tom ripped that ass to shreds and he hasn't had the courage to show his face back on that forum since :rofl: 

Just now, Remij_ said:

lmao wtf... You know I've known about those tests since the beginning... I'm not even referencing them... lmao.  Try harder.

NEW sources are reporting that Sony is stuck clocking high to maintain BC.  People at MS have heard and apparently know the same...

Oh... you think Sony's going to come with a 12TF+ GPU, a better SSD solution, more ram... and be smaller and more compact..... AND cost less than Xbox.. :danylol:

Klee got fucked... lmao Tom ripped that ass to shreds and he hasn't had the courage to show his face back on that forum since :rofl: 

These rumors are all based on that data. No one is now just like... oh yeah, it's going to be 36CUs. Like I said you're just circling back around to the Github leaks. Though, there's rumors all over the place for PS5.

"People at Microsoft have heard and apparently know the same..." Can't you see how stupid that sounds? :drake: It sounds as retarded as those reddit and pastebin submissions.

The Bloomberg article allegedly having the BoM cost will never be independently verified so that's useless information, and ZhugEX corroborating $450 is good enough I suppose, but again, it's all guesses/estimates by "analysts". I assume analysts are trustworthy again? Pachter seems to think PS5 is going to be $1000 machine... his estimate is just as valid as any other. None of these people have this data and they won't really have an idea until they literally open up a PS5 and start pricing out components. Also, who said that PS5 is going to be a small box/compact when you're over here suggesting a 2GHz GPU clock? Good idea. :tom: 

Klee has a self requested ban, no wonder he hasn't shown up. :diplo:I don't think Klee is or was the best source and who cares about Tom Warren? He is just as worthless an insider as any. All of these insiders have been worthless so far. We need real leaks and that's what I'm hoping GDC 2020 brings.

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

These rumors are all based on that data. No one is now just like... oh yeah, it's going to be 36CUs. Like I said you're just circling back around to the Github leaks. Though, there's rumors all over the place for PS5.

"People at Microsoft have heard and apparently know the same..." Can't you see how stupid that sounds? :drake: It sounds as retarded as those reddit and pastebin submissions.

The Bloomberg article allegedly having the BoM cost will never be independently verified so that's useless information, and ZhugEX corroborating $450 is good enough I suppose, but again, it's all guesses/estimates by "analysts". I assume analysts are trustworthy again? Pachter seems to think PS5 is going to be $1000 machine... his estimate is just as valid as any other. None of these people have this data and they won't really have an idea until they literally open up a PS5 and start pricing out components. Also, who said that PS5 is going to be a small box/compact when you're over here suggesting a 2GHz GPU clock? Good idea. :tom: 

Klee has a self requested ban, no wonder he hasn't shown up. :diplo:I don't think Klee is or was the best source and who cares about Tom Warren? He is just as worthless an insider as any. All of these insiders have been worthless so far. We need real leaks and that's what I'm hoping GDC 2020 brings.

lmao dude... it's 36CUs...

This is that denial I was talking about. :shrug: 

:loldance:

Edited by Remij_
15 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

I mean I don't exclude that it's the final APU, but what new sources confirmed it.

None. No one has confirmed anything. These new sources all circle back around to the Github leaks as has been the case for the last couple months now. It's not going to matter if PS5 is 36CUs or 500CUs; I just can't get behind the idea of a console having a 2GHz core clock. Seems pretty insane to me. Makes more sense to go higher CU, lower clock. Either way a decent cool system is required because power draw is linear.