HBO working on a TLOU series with Chernobyl Creator

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

I’m really interested to see the casting. I honestly think Maise Williams (Arya in GOT) could play that role well. I think they’ll go with new blood though. I would absolutely love if they brought in Justin Theroux for Joel though. 

I'm confident they'll make good choices.  Neil being directly involved takes away a lot of the concern I'd have otherwise.

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yep.  Considering the people/companies involved... this will be the best it could possibly be, imo.

It could also end up being a HUGE show.  This will be something that not just gamers get into... but everyone.  With HBO, you know it's going to be violent and mature as fuck.

Yeah, this is literally the most perfect collaboration that could've been put together, in terms of who is involved and which game IP was chosen. It definitely has potential to be massive and oh man the impact on TLoU sales is gonna be gigantic. 

All about the casting now

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah, this is literally the most perfect collaboration that could've been put together, in terms of who is involved and which game IP was chosen. It definitely has potential to be massive and oh man the impact on TLoU sales is gonna be gigantic. 

All about the casting now

Indeed.

Sony said they were going to be making Movie and TV shows out of their franchises in an effort to built the world wide appeal of their IPs.  "Playstation Productions" was made for exactly that... and you can bet they are going to look at every avenue possible to expand their reach...

Bringing their older games to platforms like PC as well as PS Now on multiple devices, you can tell their plan is to use TV and Movies to expand their audience and "extended platforms" to reach more of that potential market.

-Release IP exclusive to PS consoles

-Build franchise base

-Saturate sales potential on console

-Expand IP reach through different mediums/platforms

-Use expanded reach to fuel interest across all platforms/mediums

I could see TLOU2 releasing and obviously becoming a huge hit.  Then they bring TLOU TV Series.. which interest of is at an all time high due to TLOU2.. it turns out great and fuels increase in TLOU 1+2 sales... then they release TLOU 1 on PC... gain a huge amount of new players who may have either never played the game nor seen the TV series and those players take that new found interest in the game and watch the TV series because of it... or vice versa..  and then as the TV show is continuing on a year or 2 later, they release TLOU2 on PC.. again keeping both the game market and the TV series market engaged and active.  Maximizing the potential of the franchise.. while having a negligible effect on their console platform due to releasing far later.

I think Sony knows they have franchises that have this huge appeal and that they see a good opportunity to maximize that potential.

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Indeed.

Sony said they were going to be making Movie and TV shows out of their franchises in an effort to built the world wide appeal of their IPs.  "Playstation Productions" was made for exactly that... and you can bet they are going to look at every avenue possible to expand their reach...

Bringing their older games to platforms like PC as well as PS Now on multiple devices, you can tell their plan is to use TV and Movies to expand their audience and "extended platforms" to reach more of that potential market.

-Release IP exclusive to PS consoles

-Build franchise base

-Saturate sales potential on console

-Expand IP reach through different mediums/platforms

-Use expanded reach to fuel interest across all platforms/mediums

I could see TLOU2 releasing and obviously becoming a huge hit.  Then they bring TLOU TV Series.. which interest of is at an all time high due to TLOU2.. it turns out great and fuels increase in TLOU 1+2 sales... then they release TLOU 1 on PC... gain a huge amount of new players who may have either never played the game nor seen the TV series and those players take that new found interest in the game and watch the TV series because of it... or vice versa..  and then as the TV show is continuing on a year or 2 later, they release TLOU2 on PC.. again keeping both the game market and the TV series market engaged and active.  Maximizing the potential of the franchise.. while having a negligible effect on their console platform due to releasing far later.

I think Sony knows they have franchises that have this huge appeal and that they see a good opportunity to maximize that potential.

Gotta admit I really wasn't hopeful when 'Playstation Productions' was created and the way the UC movie has been treated is the sort of shit I expected from it but this TLoU news has completely surprised me. Wondering how much the gigantic shift in direction has to do with Herman Hulst taking over from Shawn Layden (PP was his project). 

Yeah they are trying to take their IP strength to the next level and use that to leverage ppl into the Playstation ecosystem where they really make their money. So as you said I have no doubt that new IP releases will be exclusive to the system but the question is how long Sony believes a game's exclusivity has that power to make ppl buy a system. Is someone really now gonna buy a PS4 cause HZD is still exclusive to it, or has that power worn off since it's technically an old game now. I think they have the right idea of mix of the big AAA releases being fully exclusive while slowly releasing older titles on PC/PS Now and strengthening that IP through TV/other mediums. Gonna be an interesting juggle. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Gotta admit I really wasn't hopeful when 'Playstation Productions' was created and the way the UC movie has been treated is the sort of shit I expected from it but this TLoU news has completely surprised me. Wondering how much the gigantic shift in direction has to do with Herman Hulst taking over from Shawn Layden (PP was his project). 

Yeah they are trying to take their IP strength to the next level and use that to leverage ppl into the Playstation ecosystem where they really make their money. So as you said I have no doubt that new IP releases will be exclusive to the system but the question is how long Sony believes a game's exclusivity has that power to make ppl buy a system. Is someone really now gonna buy a PS4 cause HZD is still exclusive to it, or has that power worn off since it's technically an old game now. I think they have the right idea of mix of the big AAA releases being fully exclusive while slowly releasing older titles on PC/PS Now and strengthening that IP through TV/other mediums. Gonna be an interesting juggle. 

I think they play a lot of it by ear depending on the IP.  They'll have a good idea of when the saturation point is met.  I think 1.5 - 2 years later would be alright.

I think Sony has been using their smaller IPs and games like Death Stranding and Detroit, to slowly get their console fanbase used to the idea of their games coming to the PC platform at a later date.. and that it's actually a great thing for them as it will directly benefit games and new IP that they will continue to get first and foremost.  Sony could be making a LOT more money than they already are.  Once they are confident that the fanbase has accepted it.. we'll see them with updated frequency.. until eventually years and years down the line, I could see them releasing day and date.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Remij_ said:

It will be MUCH better as a TV show than it could ever be as a movie.

Why not, its not as if TLOU as a huge epic storyline attached to it, its pretty basic and to the point.

Most movies sucks these days so you might be right, but done well it would be great as a 2 hours flick.

7 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Why not, its not as if TLOU as a huge epic storyline attached to it, its pretty basic and to the point.

Most movies sucks these days so you might be right, but done well it would be great as a 2 hours flick.

I think the characters and world building deserve more than 2h to be done justice.

Also, it's quite obviously going to be based on the entire story.. so not just Part 1, but Part 2 as well... There's going to be far more to it than what we know at this point.  2h could never do it justice breh.

Just now, Remij_ said:

I think the characters and world building deserve more than 2h to be done justice.

Also, it's quite obviously going to be based on the entire story.. so not just Part 1, but Part 2 as well... There's going to be far more to it than what we know at this point.  2h could never do it justice breh.

The first game would definitely fit into 2 hours. 

Just now, Ramza said:

My argument isn't whether it could be done or not...  I simply said it's better served as a TV series and fleshed out. :shrug: 

Just now, Ramza said:

No chance man. Well not if you want it to be good anyway. There is no way that Joel and Ellie's relationship journey would be believable in a 2 hour movie. Especially if you want the pay off of the ending. Would feel rush and undeserved. 

The fact TLoU is a character driven story and not some epic plot is the reason TV would work so well over a movie. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

No chance man. Well not if you want it to be good anyway. There is no way that Joel and Ellie's relationship journey would be believable in a 2 hour movie. Especially if you want the pay off of the ending. Would feel rush and undeserved. 

The fact TLoU is a character driven story and not some epic plot is the reason TV would work so well over a movie. 

This is really all that needs to be said.

Just now, madmaltese said:

Theres probably roughly 2 hours of cutscenes in TLOU, at least the important bits. Maybe less than that even, and you act like no 2 hours movies has ever managed to do characters arcs justice. lmao

Sometimes its best to get a condensed well executed story than an overly stretched out sotryline that could have fitted into a shorter, quicker format.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

My argument isn't whether it could be done or not...  I simply said it's better served as a TV series and fleshed out. :shrug: 

Sure, fair enough.

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Theres probably roughly 2 hours of cutscenes in TLOU, at least the important bits. Maybe less than that even, and you act like no 2 hours movies has ever managed to do characters arcs justice. lmao

Sometimes its best to get a condensed well executed story than an overly stretched out sotryline that could have fitted into a shorter, quicker format.

Sure, fair enough.

Most of TLoU's character development is done during the gameplay and convos that they have along the way. Cutscenes alone doesn't sell their relationship or that of the other characters in the game. 

And yeah, most movies have shit ass character arcs even when the it's most basic story. You weren't gonna get a Scorsese TLoU movie lol you would've got the shit they have making Uncharted. 

Nothing about TLoU's story would be better condensed, in fact fleshing it out more is what is needed. Again, especially given the ending. If Joel's actions at the end aren't believable because their relationship was rushed then the entire story is ruined. 

"This is the first of many shows we intend to develop with our friends at PlayStation Productions," said Chris Parnell, co-president of Sony Pictures Television Studios. The Last of Us is a brilliant achievement in storytelling and character development, and we are lucky to have the opportunity to work with this team to adapt it."

Turns out that it was the voice actress who plays Dina (Shannon Woodward) who introduced Craig Mazin to Neil Druckmann.

I find that real fucking interesting.. and incredibly cool.  It sounds like maybe Shannon spoke with Craig about the potential of TLOU and how good Neil Druckmann would be to work with.

15 hours ago, Remij_ said:

I think they play a lot of it by ear depending on the IP.  They'll have a good idea of when the saturation point is met.  I think 1.5 - 2 years later would be alright.

I think Sony has been using their smaller IPs and games like Death Stranding and Detroit, to slowly get their console fanbase used to the idea of their games coming to the PC platform at a later date.. and that it's actually a great thing for them as it will directly benefit games and new IP that they will continue to get first and foremost.  Sony could be making a LOT more money than they already are.  Once they are confident that the fanbase has accepted it.. we'll see them with updated frequency.. until eventually years and years down the line, I could see them releasing day and date.

This. it provides enough incentive to buy a sony console, yet it gives the games more sales power, longterm. the days of "true exclusives" are pretty much dying out (except for nintendo).