PS4 BC on the PS5 to work on “overwhelming majority” of the library, games to benefit from improved frame rates and resolutions

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

State of Decay loaded in like ~8-9 seconds. It wasn't very fast. I assume Microsoft may throw a bit of Machine Learning towards this, but we'll see. The Spider-man demonstration was way more impressive.

6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

None of those games were optimized around the storage medium, that's just raw loading. Basically they're loading how a PC SSD would load. 

:leo:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Team 2019 said:

Spiderman was optimized for the SSD I think though. Also 22 GBPS for the PS5 SSD is the maximum theoretical.

Remij was wrong.

Where is the link saying Spider-man was optimized for SSD? The only person I've seen ever say this was DynamiteCop.

Just now, lynux3 said:

Where is the link saying Spider-man was optimized for SSD? The only person I've seen ever say this was DynamiteCop.

It was a custom created render loop, seems pretty obvious. The only thing Microsoft has shown thus far is BC titles loading and a port of Gears 5 which isn't configured to take advantage of their storage medium yet. 

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It was a custom created render loop, seems pretty obvious. The only thing Microsoft has shown thus far is BC titles loading and a port of Gears 5 which isn't configured to take advantage of their storage medium yet. 

The only thing obvious is that they were demonstrating their SSD throughput by loading multiple scenes instantaneously. Where does it say that it was optimized? Mark Cerny said it takes 0.27 seconds to load 2GB of data into memory.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

The only thing obvious is that they were demonstrating their SSD throughput by loading multiple scenes instantaneously. Where does it say that it was optimized? Mark Cerny said it takes 0.27 seconds to load 2GB of data into memory.

Why would they demonstrate a custom created render loop and have it not optimized for the system? I'm not getting into this dumb shit, it seems fairly obvious. 

20 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Spiderman was optimized for the SSD I think though. Also 22 GBPS for the PS5 SSD is the maximum theoretical.

Remij was wrong.

I wasn't wrong.... I laughed because he said 22GB/s "uncompressed"... which  is what I was pointing out was wrong.  22GB/s is referring to the BEST possible compression :smilecry: 

And it literally NEVER will those speeds in real use..  There's no sense in even talking about that number.  Sony will NEVER market it.

Edited by Remij_
Just now, Remij_ said:

I wasn't wrong.... I laughed because it's never going to reach that.

It literally NEVER will.  There's no sense in even talking about that number.  Sony will NEVER market it.

You can buy a PC SSD for the PS5. By the time the Pro rolls out I can see people swapping for even faster SSDs :)

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

You can buy a PC SSD for the PS5. By the time the Pro rolls out I can see people swapping for even faster SSDs :)

PC SSDs are about to get real fast real quick :glad: 

Thanks Sony. :glad: 

And MS is redesigning the I/O subsystem to fully take advantage of them. :glad: 

Thanks Microsoft. :glad: 

12 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Why would they demonstrate a custom created render loop and have it not optimized for the system? I'm not getting into this dumb shit, it seems fairly obvious. 

Link? Sounds like more bullshit coming straight from the DipshitCop factory.

9 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I wasn't wrong.... I laughed because he said 22GB/s "uncompressed"... which  is what I was pointing out was wrong.  22GB/s is referring to the BEST possible compression :smilecry: 

And it literally NEVER will those speeds in real use..  There's no sense in even talking about that number.  Sony will NEVER market it.

It's no different than 6GB/s a second. :spincool:

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

I know... but the important takeaway is that neither are "uncompressed" figures :tom5:

That was just a mistake on my part. :tom5: It happens in the midst of shit posting, console warring.

About the Spider-man demo..  It's hard to say.  I thought at first that it was obviously a reworked tech demo specifically to show off the PS5 SSD.. but now I'm not so sure.

Comparing Spider-man to State of Decay in this thread is just stupid.  Spider-man's streaming tech may be designed in a way that already translates very well to utilizing the speed that the PS5 SSD provides.  I mean... it was already a decently fast loading game, and just loads tiny sections at a time, which they were able to do because "city blocks"..  8sec as it was on the PS4 is fast really for any game.  It also is a good game to show off how the loading speed affected the rate at which the main character could travel through the world.  So it was a good game to choose.

State of Decay on the other hand was obviously a game that took ages to load on the original hardware and loads it's world in a different way. It's not really the same, since the world isn't broken up into "blocks".  The Series X improvement is still massive.. 

All types of games load their data in different ways, so it's hard to say.  IF Sony's Spider-man demo was simply the standard game code running on PS5.. then it's impressive.. but we need to see how other games act, before we can say for sure.

15 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

About the Spider-man demo..  It's hard to say.  I thought at first that it was obviously a reworked tech demo specifically to show off the PS5 SSD.. but now I'm not so sure.

Comparing Spider-man to State of Decay in this thread is just stupid.  Spider-man's streaming tech may be designed in a way that already translates very well to utilizing the speed that the PS5 SSD provides.  I mean... it was already a decently fast loading game, and just loads tiny sections at a time, which they were able to do because "city blocks"..  8sec as it was on the PS4 is fast really for any game.  It also is a good game to show off how the loading speed affected the rate at which the main character could travel through the world.  So it was a good game to choose.

State of Decay on the other hand was obviously a game that took ages to load on the original hardware and loads it's world in a different way. It's not really the same, since the world isn't broken up into "blocks".  The Series X improvement is still massive.. 

All types of games load their data in different ways, so it's hard to say.  IF Sony's Spider-man demo was simply the standard game code running on PS5.. then it's impressive.. but we need to see how other games act, before we can say for sure.

Bloodborne would be an obvious choice.

23 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Such a needlessly confusing fuck up on their part.

And notice how they STILL don't say "at launch"...  Not that I have doubts anymore.. but still... this unclear messaging is baffling.

Pretty sure I read awhile ago that said the top 100 most played PS4 games will be BC at launch. The rest will come slowly with system updates. Think they said these BC updates will be optional but can't remember.

3 hours ago, Sabo said:

Pretty sure I read awhile ago that said the top 100 most played PS4 games will be BC at launch. The rest will come slowly with system updates. Think they said these BC updates will be optional but can't remember.

No that was misinformatio.n that was corrected. Most games will work. They tested the top 100 with boost mode, and it didn't break the games.