Ratchet and Clank has 2 second loading in jumping set pieces

It will probably be longer if you jump between fully explorable worlds and the two playable characters. Sony didnt overspec the SSD and by the time the Pro models roll in the current SSDs will be simply "Good enough". Watch both Pro models push the SSDs even further and 3-4 years the PS5 SSD will be a toaster/potato with people feeling the difference.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But the price point will be the same as always...maybe more.  2060 was 350 . What was 1060 ? 3060 might be 400 .   So a comparable to xsx card , at minimum will be 350 . Now add a cpu. Those

In fact I have a hard time finding a face off article with PC where PC isn't the clear winner.   GTA, Every version to date has impressed, but in the PC's case we have the true pack lea

20 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

It will probably be longer if you jump between fully explorable worlds and the two playable characters. Sony didnt overspec the SSD and by the time the Pro models roll in the current SSDs will be simply "Good enough". Watch both Pro models push the SSDs even further and 3-4 years the PS5 SSD will be a toaster/potato with people feeling the difference.

I don't think it'll be longer at all.  2 seconds is about the amount of time it takes to completely swap out the PS5's ~13.5GB of usable memory.  They can easily stream stuff in as they need it.

And the more I watch the trailer, the more impressed I get by it.  Sure, there's some slight hitches as the transitions through portals aren't exactly perfect, but I bet that by launch they have a lot of that solved.

If someone is not impressed by it, it's likely they just can't appreciate what's going on behind the scenes.  Absolutely NO current gen console game can do that.

Tech is impressive but I found the demo used it way too much that the novelty of it wore off fast. The actual gameplay was the same old shit though so I guess I can see why they were leaning so heavily into the showcase territory.

No interest in the game but the tech is cool.

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

The PS5 SSD specs arent impressive for PCs that will have more RAM and higher settings in a few years. Plus Pro models will bump to some extent watch Series X Pro easily go double the raw SSD over PS5. 

It's the PS5's I/O that makes it's SSD punch above its weight.  PC can't match that aspect yet, regardless of how fast of an SSD you put in your PC.. but that's going to be changing in the future obviously, but yea, having a ton of RAM mitigates a lot of that advantage because devs can load a lot more into RAM in the first place.

For a game like Ratchet on PC, they could probably keep 2 worlds worth of data in RAM from the initial load, and then have far more time to swap the 3rd world into memory.  It's less efficient, but those console SSDs are specifically meant to mitigate the fact that RAM capacity isn't increasing much from the past gen.  I think next gen games pushing SSDs hard will require a lot of RAM on PC.  That's why I wouldn't go with just 16GB.  32GB will serve next gen games well, with room to spare.

2 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Tech is impressive but I found the demo used it way too much that the novelty of it wore off fast. The actual gameplay was the same old shit though so I guess I can see why they were leaning so heavily into the showcase territory.

No interest in the game but the tech is cool.

Yea, it was clearly a "look at what we can do" gimmick and they tried to hammer home the point, but it just ended up looking gimmicky.

I'm sure devs in the future though will come up with all sorts of wild ideas for it though.

One of the aspects I'm thinking of which I don't think many people might consider, is just what it could mean for audio.  Being able to instantly prioritize and call tons of audio samples means that we could hear a lot more variation in game audio.  If you really focus on it, current games repeat a lot of the same exact sounds over and over.  With next gen consoles, and their SSDs with no seek times, that means there's no duplication necessary and they can save a ton of space and use it to create more variations of audio samples and give a much more organic sound design to a game.

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

It means nothing. When PS4 was announced with 8GDRR5 people of forums were debating to get 1 gig or 2gig version of PC cards. Expect SSD tech to make equal leaps especially now that the HDD market won't be viable for gaming.

7GB/s by the end of the year. 

The Samsung 980 Pro is coming in a few months and will have transfer speeds of 6.5GB/s.  So yea, it's going to happen relatively fast.. but that doesn't change the fact that PS5 still has some advantages in design which make it more efficient.

But yea, I expect most core gamers to jump to 3.5GB/s Gen3 NVMe SSDs really fast, which puts it in line with Series X, with the hardcore enthusiasts getting 6.5GB/s drives which puts it on the level of the PS5.

It's what's best, because we need games to start taking advantage of that hardware.  You don't want only 10 games in a generation to take advantage of it lol.

55 minutes ago, Voidler said:

I am looking forward to how GOW 2 uses it. In GOW 2018 they initially wanted to be able to swap between the dimensions at any time for puzzle solving and such but couldn't get the tech working

youll see it . Every sony 1st party game will do the same thing , just as they do now.  Copy Pastetation 

And the new pc ssds are going to be stupid expensive.  Pc gaming , rofl

Just now, JONBpc said:

youll see it . Every sony 1st party game will do the same thing , just as they do now.  Copy Pastetation 

And the new pc ssds are going to be stupid expensive.  Pc gaming , rofl

The next consoles are going to bring the prices of everything down :geese: 

Just now, Remij_ said:

The next consoles are going to bring the prices of everything down :geese: 

Not for pc gamers . You spent more than double a next gen console for 30 percent of your pc ROFL 

7 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Not for pc gamers . You spent more than double a next gen console for 30 percent of your pc ROFL 

Yes for PC gamers.  Specifically for us actually.

SSDs are going to become much cheaper than they are now...especially the Gen3 3.5GB/s ones.. like Series X has.  3700x is like $275 right now... when the 4000 series CPUs come, those will drop in price too.  GPUs with 2x the TFs of the Series X will be out.  The 3060 will perform better than the Series X... for around $350... take that to the bank.  AMD will actually be competing on the high end GPU range.

3900X could be cut down to 3700X

32GB RAM... you could cut it down to 16GB.

MOBO could be much cheaper... especially with only 3.5GB/s Gen3 speeds

:shrug: 

Just now, JONBpc said:

Lmao.  New pc stuff will NOT be cheaper than current stuff 

It brings current stuff down... lmao.  And yes... a 3060 will be cheaper than a 2070S is right now... GUARANTEED.  It will also perform better :reg: 

47 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

No I didn't, and no I won't. I wait for sales, and have a better system than consoles for 90% of the gen . lol 30 fps on low.

29 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It brings current stuff down... lmao.  And yes... a 3060 will be cheaper than a 2070S is right now... GUARANTEED.  It will also perform better :reg: 

But the price point will be the same as always...maybe more.  2060 was 350 . What was 1060 ? 3060 might be 400 .

So a comparable to xsx card , at minimum will be 350 . Now add a cpu. Those 2 parts alone will cost as much as an xsx .

Then add your ssd . A comlarable to xsx ssd paired with a comparable gpu and cpu and you are already at 700 + .

Then you have the rest of the pc . At minimum to build an xsx comparable pc you are paying minimum , double .

Ps5 comparable will probabaly be even more because of the ssd . A comparable ssd to ps5 will probably cost nearly as much as ps5 ...total .

Hermits need to stfu that pc is cheap . It's not , never will be . I cant wait to see the bu bu you can build a 500 dollar pc that beats NG console threads from the Dumbmits. It never has and never will happen .

Hermshits try so hard but lose the hardest ROFL

• Geese 1
7 minutes ago, Substatic said:

No I didn't, and no I won't. I wait for sales, and have a better system than consoles for 90% of the gen . lol 30 fps on low.

waiting for sales ROFL . You will never come close to matching ng console spec for the price.  It will be double , MINIMUM .

you cant build a pc thats better than Xbox X for its price RN 

DUMB HERSMITS. POOR BROKE ASS WAITING FOR SALES LAMLAMLAM

37 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

it doesn't come down , it stays close or goes UP. 60 series will always be 300 to 400 .

1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

waiting for sales ROFL . You will never come close to matching ng console spec for the price.  It will be double , MINIMUM .

you cant build a pc thats better than Xbox X for its price RN 

DUMB HERSMITS. POOR BROKE ASS WAITING FOR SALES LAMLAMLAM

I never said it will match the price for performance.

If you want to buy the better item you pay  more. Welcome to capitalism, you liberal scum.

Edited by Substatic