Time to face it, Elden Ring is a BOTW clone

6 minutes ago, jehurey said:

:blessed:How fitting, given that today is the five year anniversary.:blessed:

lHFnm1s.png

Breath of the Wild is undoubtedly a landmark game, but five years on, I’m surprised it hasn’t had more impact on the genre at large. Open-world games take a lot of time to create even when society hasn’t been derailed by a pandemic, of course, but in a design sense, Breath of the Wild still stands alone.

:rofls: 

Oh and.... 

Death Stranding was the first game I played that made me feel like its designers might have been taking notes from Breath of the Wild. Death Stranding is aggressive about giving you hyper-specific quests and adheres to a rigid structure, so you’re not generally exploring the world for the sake of it. But the game justifies its open-world design with an extreme focus on how you actually traverse the terrain. Like Breath of the Wild, each area of the map is a carefully considered environment in its own right, and your ability to move through it is a sign of your progress. Death Stranding forces you to consistently engage with the world in a similar way to Breath of the Wild.

Death Stranding... inspired by BOTW... because you "traverse the terrain" and each area is "carefully considered" and your progress is "how easily you move through it".... you have to "constantly engage with the environment"... :drake: 

THIS... is the type of shit sheep tell themselves :rofl: 

• Haha 1
Just now, Remij said:

Breath of the Wild is undoubtedly a landmark game, but five years on, I’m surprised it hasn’t had more impact on the genre at large. Open-world games take a lot of time to create even when society hasn’t been derailed by a pandemic, of course, but in a design sense, Breath of the Wild still stands alone.

Oh and.... 

Death Stranding was the first game I played that made me feel like its designers might have been taking notes from Breath of the Wild. Death Stranding is aggressive about giving you hyper-specific quests and adheres to a rigid structure, so you’re not generally exploring the world for the sake of it. But the game justifies its open-world design with an extreme focus on how you actually traverse the terrain. Like Breath of the Wild, each area of the map is a carefully considered environment in its own right, and your ability to move through it is a sign of your progress. Death Stranding forces you to consistently engage with the world in a similar way to Breath of the Wild.

Death Stranding... inspired by BOTW... because you "traverse the terrain" and each area is "carefully considered" and your progress is "how easily you move through it".... you have to "constantly engage with the environment"... :drake: 

the level of interactivity definitely takes inspiration from BOTW. i don't see that with Elden Ring, though.

Just now, Remij said:

Oh and.... 

i can see why some may feel like DS was inspired by it. however, they are definitely two different types of games. both, coincidentally, bored me to tears. maybe they have more in common than i thought :mj:

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

i can see why some may feel like DS was inspired by it. however, they are definitely two different types of games. both, coincidentally, bored me to tears. maybe they have more in common than i thought :mj:

I just don't see it at all.

50 minutes ago, Remij said:

Oh and.... 

LOL GD immediately agreed with the article.

:drake: Bilbo Backfire Beggins:drake:

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

LOL GD immediately agreed with the article.

:drake: Bilbo Backfire Beggins:drake:

No he didn't... he hates BOTW's open world and specifically says "I don't see it with Elden Ring"  :drake: 

Derpy getting smoked in this thread too... as if the other ones weren't enough :cruise: 

1 minute ago, Remij said:

giphy.gif

he's still trying after performing the ultimate fail:tom:

i got this guy losing his shit about a game, five years later.

probably because he's hoping to get a port sometime within the next 3 more years.:lawl::lawl:

@Remij I can’t argue on jehureys side here, so imma need you to admit ER took inspirations from BOTW. There is 0% chance you’ve played BOTW and deny this. It’s fine to also just say you’ve never played BOTW (dunno if this is true) but any one who has played both see the resemblance extremely easily. 

again, this is not a bad thing. It’s the best possible compliment an open world game can currently have. 

Edited by ghostz
Just now, ghostz said:

@Remij I can’t argue on jehureys side here, so imma need you to admit ER took inspirations from BOTW. There is 0% chance you’ve played BOTW and deny this. It’s fine to also just say you’ve never played BOTW (dunno if this is true) but any one who has played both see the resemblance extremely easily. 

again, this is not a bad thing. It’s the best possible compliment an open world game can currently have. 

Shut the fuck up :D 

4 hours ago, Remij said:

Oh and.... 

the long ass kojima-esque cutscenes in this sci-fi drama were also inspired by BOTW :bow:  

• Haha 1