According to Jeff Grubb, the Dead Space project is a remake of the first game in the vein of RE2 REmake

https://venturebeat.com/2021/07/01/dead-space-remake-is-in-the-works-at-motive/

For its Dead Space game, Motive is taking notes from Capcom’s recent Resident Evil remakes. Like Resident Evil 2 Remake, expect the next Dead Space to use the original game as a strong foundation. But it should also have modern visuals. And it will likely bring in new gameplay mechanics inspired by other entries in the franchise.

And speaking of Capcom, it is likely a major reason a new Dead Space is happening. While EA has let its horror franchise wither, the Resident Evil series is larger than ever. And Capcom has provided an easy blueprint for EA to follow.

EA has likely also warmed back up to the idea of producing single-player adventures after the success of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. The publisher has made statements in the recent past about shifting its focus to live-service games. And that was part of a deliberate decision to invest less in single-player experiences following poor results for Mirror’s Edge Catalyst.

Oh fucking LORD.... hype engaging.  Still need to see it of course...

22 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

ugh, this completely deflated my hype. why bring back a series with a remake instead of a new game? that just shows a serious lack of confidence.

I get it... but I'm extremely happy with this news.  It's what I want, because like I said, I love everything about the original Dead Space.

As stated in the article, they're obviously seeing what Capcom is doing and how well their remakes have done.  It's a pretty easy template to follow, and thus by remaking the best game in the series, it allows them to become familiar with the IP and they can potentially improve on it.  Much like Capcom did with the original Resident Evil Remake.

It's a safer bet.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

I get it... but I'm extremely happy with this news.  It's what I want, because like I said, I love everything about the original Dead Space.

As stated in the article, they're obviously seeing what Capcom is doing and how well their remakes have done.  It's a pretty easy template to follow, and thus by remaking the best game in the series, it allows them to become familiar with the IP and they can potentially improve on it.  Much like Capcom did with the original Resident Evil Remake.

It's a safer bet.

Dead Space wasn't considered by many to be the best game in the series :ben:  I don't see how a remake of the first game is going to be generating any excitement. If EA comes up on their broadcast with something like 'we're bringing back Dead Space........by remaking the first game' then I doubt many people are going to be that excited. I like the games a lot but im not really that interested in reliving the same experience but with better graphics.

If you're going to be bring back a series thats been MIA for 8 years you need to make an impact....and this isn't going to be it.

5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Dead Space wasn't considered by many to be the best game in the series :ben:  I don't see how a remake of the first game is going to be generating any excitement. If EA comes up on their broadcast with something like 'we're bringing back Dead Space........by remaking the first game' then I doubt many people are going to be that excited. I like the games a lot but im not really that interested in reliving the same experience but with better graphics.

If you're going to be bring back a series thats been MIA for 8 years you need to make an impact....and this isn't going to be it.

Well it is :reg: 

And I already explained why this is the case.  It's a safer bet when you have a studio that has never worked with the IP before..

You lost your shit when Mirrors Edge Catalyst was announced and it was essentially a remake of the first game.  If DICE announced a remake of some retarded Battlefield game you loved, you'd lose your shit as well.

People lost their shit over FF7R.... uh, let's count all the other remakes people lose their shit over.

If you don't care... that's fine.  The remake isn't meant for you. :shrug: 

6 minutes ago, Remij said:

Well it is :reg: 

And I already explained why this is the case.  It's a safer bet when you have a studio that has never worked with the IP before..

You lost your shit when Mirrors Edge Catalyst was announced and it was essentially a remake of the first game.  If DICE announced a remake of some retarded Battlefield game you loved, you'd lose your shit as well.

People lost their shit over FF7R.... uh, let's count all the other remakes people lose their shit over.

If you don't care... that's fine.  The remake isn't meant for you. :shrug: 

You lost me there :ben: Catalyst is a completely different game than the original, like they're not even comparable.

5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

You lost me there :ben: Catalyst is a completely different game than the other original, like they're not even comparable.

It's a reboot but similar shit :facep: 

RE2 Remake changes a lot of shit from the original RE2.... yet it's still called a Remake...

This "remake" could take the setting from the first game and it could be a completely different realization of it.  Who knows?

Point is... there's plenty of people who want them.

And it's the best game in the series easily :smugcena:

Edited by Remij

I wouldn't bet on this. The reality likely is they're going to do the exact same thing they did with Mass Effect like a legendary edition with all three games. If there was a set of games that they were going to remake it would have been Mass Effect, not Dead Space.

Edited by DynamiteCop
7 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's a reboot but similar shit :facep: 

RE2 Remake changes a lot of shit from the original RE2.... yet it's still called a Remake...

This "remake" could take the setting from the first game and it could be a completely different realization of it.  Who knows?

Point is... there's plenty of people who want them.

And it's the best game in the series easily :smugcena:

Catalyst was labeled a ‘reimagining’. There’s a difference. If Jeff grub referred to Dead Space in that sense then I would be more interested. ‘Remake’ implies a visual overhaul but not much else.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Catalyst was labeled a ‘reimagining’. There’s a difference. If Jeff grub referred to Dead Space in that sense then I would be more interested. ‘Remake’ implies a visual overhaul but not much else.

Did you read the OP at all :cosby2: 

RE2 remake is what he said.... and that game vastly differs from RE2 in many ways...

:snoop: 

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Did you read the OP at all :cosby2: 

RE2 remake is what he said.... and that game vastly differs from RE2 in many ways...

:snoop: 

but you also brought up REmake, which was almost exactly the same as the original only the graphics were revamped :mjpls:

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

dead space 2 >>>>>>>> 1 by a mile. 

That's a hard nah.

Best story, atmosphere, sound design, and just better horror design overall belong to the first :wow2: 

• Haha 1
Just now, Twinblade said:

but you also brought up REmake, which was almost exactly the same as the original only the graphics were revamped :mjpls:

REmake wasn't almost exactly the same as the original... Not even close.

A good remake changes things, sometimes drastically and it a positive way that makes sense... yet still retains the familiar feel.

Just now, -GD-X said:

the first game was too dark (palette-wise) and slow. i got bored. 2 improved it in every way. 

IMO 2 improved gameplay elements over the first.. but the setting, atmosphere, horror, setup, story and and overall design of the first is much better.

The best things from the second game could retroactively be put into the first game and make it better... which is possibly what they are going to do.