SMTV- Story Trailer

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

This is what I was waiting for. Definitely seems like theres some substance to the narrative and the game isn't just a pure dungeon crawler.

Don't know why you would assume there is no story based SOLELY on the first gameplay trailer. 

5 hours ago, Goukosan said:

Don't know why you would assume there is no story based SOLELY on the first gameplay trailer. 

Story is always secondary in SMT games. Not saying there won't be no story at all, but it's not as story driven as Persona.

Usually it's boring shit about the end of the world and demon politics. Gameplay comes first.

10 hours ago, Goukosan said:

It's silly to assume based on a trailer but not if you're aware of the series history. Why do you think this franchise never took off with casuals while Persona did and far surpassed it?

I'm sure it's still going to be a great game and i'm looking forward to it but this really looks nothing even close to SMT anymore. Though that's fine because like the Ys games I already accepted long ago that all people involved with the franchise are long gone.

5 hours ago, Ramza said:

Story is always secondary in SMT games. Not saying there won't be no story at all, but it's not as story driven as Persona.

Usually it's boring shit about the end of the world and demon politics. Gameplay comes first.

Yes gameplay comes first but there's always a story.  You can't assume no story based off a GAMEPLAY trailer lol

3 hours ago, Goukosan said:

Yes gameplay comes first but there's always a story.  You can't assume no story based off a GAMEPLAY trailer lol

uhh there were a ton of trailers before this and they were 95% gameplay focused. Every game has a story so thats a dumb excuse, the question is how much of the game is dedicated to it. And based on both the previews and previous trailers the story was looking pretty barebones compared to SMT4 (and might still be even after this trailer, who knows).

4 hours ago, Delita said:

It's silly to assume based on a trailer but not if you're aware of the series history. Why do you think this franchise never took off with casuals while Persona did and far surpassed it?

I'm sure it's still going to be a great game and i'm looking forward to it but this really looks nothing even close to SMT anymore. Though that's fine because like the Ys games I already accepted long ago that all people involved with the franchise are long gone.

Or maybe they just won't want to keep making the same exact games for decades. 

I really like Ys IX btw, the combat is excellent as always, soundtrack is good, the traversal mechanics makes exploring and finding secrets really fun. It's also tightly paced for the most part. Other than the low end graphics I can't complain.

47 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Or maybe they just won't want to keep making the same exact games for decades. 

I really like Ys IX btw, the combat is excellent as always, soundtrack is good, the traversal mechanics makes exploring and finding secrets really fun. It's also tightly paced for the most part. Other than the low end graphics I can't complain.

It's not about making the same games.

It's really like Zelda or a Souls game. When i buy a SoulsI'm not looking for a grand scale storyline with tons of cutscenes or dialogue; I'm expecting an amazing adventure with first-rate gameplay. I expect a great and simple story there and told efficently without needless hours of drawn out cutscenes.

If the next Souls opens up with an hour long cutscene followed by hours of dialogue before the game begins then this wouldn't be Souls. That's what people enjoyed and that's what I expect.

That story trailer with straight up animu cliches of overly melodramatic screaming is so un-SMT it;s almost comedic

2 hours ago, Delita said:

It's not about making the same games.

It's really like Zelda or a Souls game. When i buy a SoulsI'm not looking for a grand scale storyline with tons of cutscenes or dialogue; I'm expecting an amazing adventure with first-rate gameplay. I expect a great and simple story there and told efficently without needless hours of drawn out cutscenes.

If the next Souls opens up with an hour long cutscene followed by hours of dialogue before the game begins then this wouldn't be Souls. That's what people enjoyed and that's what I expect.

That story trailer with straight up animu cliches of overly melodramatic screaming is so un-SMT it;s almost comedic

I doubt it will have hours of cutscenes. The tone might have changed a bit though but I don't think it will be that different from usual in terms of pacing.

SMTIV had some story too and it was terrible, but it didn't get in the way of gameplay much so whatever. 

I mean I get you but I think you're worrying for nothing in this case. It won't be Persona like.

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

uhh there were a ton of trailers before this and they were 95% gameplay focused. Every game has a story so thats a dumb excuse, the question is how much of the game is dedicated to it. And based on both the previews and previous trailers the story was looking pretty barebones compared to SMT4 (and might still be even after this trailer, who knows).

It's pretty silly to assume the depth of the story based on GAMEPLAY trailers.