Open Club  ·  22 members  ·  Rules

All Things Politics

Biden absolutely nails the speech regarding the Afghanistan withdrawl, and the criticisms

“American troops cannot and should not be fighting the war, and dying in a war that Afghan forces are not willing to fight for themselves,”

Absolutely standing firm. He said that Afghan leadership "quit and left".  He said that Afghan troops collapse, and most of them choosing not to fight.

Straight-up facts.

He was so firm, that he even pissed off chickenhawks on CNN and MSNBC like Jake Tapper. You can tell that corporate backers who bank on the business of constant war are pissed.

Some actual Republicans are calling into C-Span and agreeing and applauding what Biden has said.

A lone single Afghan reporter asked the most important question in the press conference: "Where is my [Afghan] president?" Emphasizing that he absolutely bolted.

Can't really blame him, since Trump is the one who told the Afghan president to release the leader of the Taliban from prison (along with 5,000 other Taliban fighters) so that they could negotiate a deal back in March 2020, and the Afghan president wasn't even involved in the deal.

Biden kept on hammering on the facts. 20 years. Twenty years.

"So I'm left again to ask of those who argue that we should stay. How many more generations of America's daughters and sons would you have me send to fight Afghanistan's civil war? When Afghan troops will not? How many more lives, American lives, is it worth? How many endless rows of headstones at Arlington National Cemetery? I'm clear in my answer. I will not repeat the mistakes we've made in the past,"

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

I remember the days when people on this very board were claiming Biden to be a war hawk and he would keep us in endless wars :smugcena:

Those same people are now saying that he should keep the troops in there longer.

I shit you not, the SAME FUCKING PEOPLE are trying to do a 180 while pretending that they aren't really.

And now they suddenly care about Muslim Women, like as if that was a core part of the mission.

Yea I watched it almost in full, and I agree.  You armed and trained 300,000K Afghan Soldiers, spent a trillion dollars and American lives over the past 20 years... and their Army out numbered the taliban what, 4 to 1?  And the country fell within a couple of weeks with little to no resistance?

He's absolutely right when he said that American's shouldn't be fighting and dying for a war that Afghan's aren't willing to fight for themselves.   So long as that is the case... nothing there is ever going to change, and this was always going to be the outcome.  It's the right decision.

I watched some of the videos out there of the Afghan people swarming and boarding the planes as they were leaving, and that's absolute insanity.  You can only imagine how desperate and hopeless they must feel to have no other choice but to try to cling to the outside of a fucking airplane in an attempt to get out of their situation..

Imagine that shit for a minute....  It's unbelievable.

22 hours ago, jehurey said:

Those same people are now saying that he should keep the troops in there longer.

I shit you not, the SAME FUCKING PEOPLE are trying to do a 180 while pretending that they aren't really.

And now they suddenly care about Muslim Women, like as if that was a core part of the mission.

They did a 180 so quickly I'm surprised they didn't snap their necks :muttley:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-08-27 at 8:41 PM, DynamiteCop said:

This aged well

:hest:

It did age well.

because its correct, and it will sound like the correct choice a year from now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now.

Look at the massive disrespect for 13 American soldiers dying.

U.S. troops are due to pull out of Kabul by Tuesday, after they and their allies mounted the biggest air evacuation in history, bringing 114,000 of their own citizens and Afghans who helped them over 20 years of war.

That's pretty impressive for something that has only been a story for about a couple of weeks.

The State Department is saying that there will be about 300 people who are dual-citizenship Americans, who will voluntarily choosing to stay in Afghanistan, even though the US had offered to evacuate them. So they are FULLY DECIDED ON THEIR OWN to stay there.

Many of the Americans remaining in the country are dual citizens, one senior State Department official told CNN, saying that "most of the Americans who are in Afghanistan right now are there because they do not want to leave extended family and they are making the choice not to go to the United States." "We as the US government can't tell somebody that they need to come home," the official said. "Obviously these are hard decisions but they're making them according to their own family needs and consciousness at this point."

So, the US pretty much got out all Americans that were needing to get out.

Also, they had bombed a car that supposedly had multiple suicide bombers that was on its way to the airport, and prevented those terrorist attacks.