Steam Deck is mindblowing

9 hours ago, Remij said:

Yea I'm going to be checking out a lot of Linux stuff.  I've already seen some videos about setting the Deck up to essentially be a full desktop PC with all the main applications you'd want.

And yea, I'm checking out all that stuff to set up EGS, GOG, and emulators.  The built in Discover app already makes it braindead easy to install these emulators.  

This device is going to be so fucking sick :D 

Yeah its worth checking them out to get existing games running and Heroic works really well. Still, if you have a choice of where to buy a game the best option is by far Steam, it's the easiest to use and it (proton) is officially supported by Valve. I wouldn't buy any games you want specifically for Deck on EGS for instance, I'd wait for a Steam release.

I'm not sure how well this would work on Deck but theres an app called Primehack on there. You need a Metroid Prime rom and I think Dolphin emulator but its set up to let you play Metroid Prime trilogy with mouse & keyboard and it really brings new life to the game.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The fucking thing plays Cyberpunk at a stable 30.   Since Friday I've installed 40 games on it, all looking and running great. SteamOS is great at unlocking PC tweakability but in a unified,

So I reserved one.. I'm an idiot. Just the 64gb one. Got an extra 512gb sd card laying around. 

Jerrys list of rules for what people are and are not allowed to do with their steamdeck   - You can't play at medium settings 720p (even though sheep hyped Doom and Witcher on Switch)

Posted Images

So far I've got 3 512GB msd cards in addition to the 512gb internal.

1. more steam games

2. emu / cracked games / linux tinkering

3. windows install (haven't actually done this yet)

I've had more luck running cracked games through Lutris rather than Bottles. One thing that's immediately noticeable is the missing shader caches.  Valve ships them with Steam games.  So if you play games outside of Steam, you get compile stutter like you do on desktop.  It's honestly insane how long this has been going on without major whining.  Considering some of the other dumb shit people have gotten whipped up about.

btw, this is handy way to store the cards:

spacer.png

Edited by sugarhigh
On 2022-05-28 at 8:35 PM, Remij said:

Well your OLED screens will get burn in, because the only thing they ever display is the UI of your PS5 or PC.. since it's clear you don't play games on them :tom: 

LOL poor guy tried to make a joke, and it swung and miss.

It's pretty fucking cool that you're literally playing the same game as the PC version. Mostly you can take for granted that your save is up to date in the cloud going between platforms. I've been doing this with Outer Worlds and Control.  Of course you'd expect this to work between your desktop and laptop, but the Deck system feels a lot like a PS4.

Supposedly they are improving it so that you could suspend the game running on Deck and immediately pick up from the same spot on the desktop.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/4145017/view/3142949576401813669

Edited by sugarhigh

Started playing Weird West, another great handheld exclusive for the Deck. Lots of sick games on here you can't play on the Switch. Kinda crazy how many handheld exclusives there are on Deck already.

LMFAO he said he was gonna play some NERDMIT game OUTSIDE with his PLASTIC POS SD Card carrier  😂

1000 dollars to play Weird West OUTSIDE 🤣

On 2022-05-30 at 7:16 PM, TLHBO said:

I don't have one yet. I've looked a few times at the order page and its always a 6 month wait so I hold off. I'm running desktop Linux so I want to see the steamdeck succeed but I'm also not missing out on anything right now. I'm sure by early next year the backlog will be cleared up, and looking at how much it has improved since launch I'm sure SteamOS will be even better. Not to mention all the third party app support its been getting recently.

On a more serious note one thing really puts me off modern gaming and the idea of steamdeck and its this;

The whole industry feels like its designed around the U.S and Canada. Northern England is a deprived shithole. A 100GB game is like a weeks worth of downloading for me, and thats a weeks worth with the connection maxed out meaning you cant do much else online in the meantime. Its one thing that holds me back from modern AAA games and the idea of getting a steamdeck righr now and having to re-download games, or hook it up and transfer games via usb somehow.

I think the U.S does internet differently and some areas end up with only one provider? In the UK any company can use the cables but the cables are old and shit so who you go with is irrelevant as the speeds are almost identical. The only company that offers faster speeds is Virgin and I tried them for mobile and it was so bad its the only time I've ever cancelled a service in the grace period. They have an awful reputation. So I'm essentially cucked until BT openreach lays new cables. Even then its going to be nowhere near the speeds I see Americans talking about.

Its why I mostly stick with older games or indie games these days. Any game thats over 60gb makes me lose interest almost instantly.

LMAO no wonder you never talk about playing games. Its because you LITERALLY CANNOT 😂 I see now why you are so mad at lemmings.....you cant even afford to DL a video game 😂

19 minutes ago, JonbX said:

LMAO no wonder you never talk about playing games. Its because you LITERALLY CANNOT 😂 I see now why you are so mad at lemmings.....you cant even afford to DL a video game 😂

I guess this is your new schtick since you always lurk and spy for personal info and then twist facts to create a meme which you then repost over and over for the next 10 years.

You can't pay for a better internet connection retard :cruise:That's not how that industry works.

How has game compatibility been for you guys? I see some games that are reported as not working on deck but do work on desktop. Its not always clear why,or if they can be configured to run with a little tinkering.

16 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

How has game compatibility been for you guys? I see some games that are reported as not working on deck but do work on desktop. Its not always clear why,or if they can be configured to run with a little tinkering.

Since I got my Deck around 5 days ago, 7 more games from my library have become verified.. which is around 240 titles total.  They've all worked splendidly so far.  I'm actually quite surprised with it.  

I know for a fact there are some games out there which aren't working, but can be made to work by doing some steps in desktop mode.. such as Grandia HD Remaster.. so what you're saying isn't surprising to me.

There are games which are marked as unsupported, which work perfectly fine too.  

It's astonishing how quickly they are moving on things though.  People will make a thread about an issue, and the next day the fix is included in an update lol.

I'm going to make a review for the Steam Deck.  This is such an interesting device.. I'm pretty fascinated with it.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, TLHBO said:

The proton tech is kind of a miracle

I haven't run into a single player game on Steam that didn't work. Installing and running pirated games is a bit of a hassle if you don't understand Linux (tho this will likely improve with community tools).  The main obstacles are anticheat (Destiny... Lost Ark...), and non-Steam launchers.  There's not much pressure on Actiblizzard to get Warzone or the new Diablo on here and that sucks.

Yeah thats what I find, none of the other launchers are quite as good as steam. Thankfully I have most games on there anyway.

I think over the past year I've only faced 1-2 games that I wanted to play but which didn't work. Sometimes its hard to tell if its an os issue or something else like gpu.

Generally games that take work to get running seem to take work on modern windows too.

This thing is awesome.  

Here's a pic I took of God of War running on PC maxed out a while back.  I just downsized the image to 720p for straight comparison purposes.  I got to the same part on the Deck and then took a screenshot. 

PC

god-of-war-pc.jpg

Deck (30fps lock, NO FSR.. this is straight TAA)

god-of-war-deck1.jpg

It looks incredibly similar, mind the slighting different armors that Kratos and Atreus are sporting.. lol

Seeing a game like this, run on a device like this is just awesome.  And the fact that it's being done on a portable device, that's running an operating system not meant to run it, and having to run through Proton, and yet working flawlessly.. is crazy.  I have a powered USB-C hub and connected it to my TV.  It looks, and runs as good as the PS4 version.  PS4 has a bit higher resolution, but the Deck is actually running higher settings.

• aitch 1