Alone in the Dark reboot announced

didn't ps1 game already had a story? why change it, was it so bad? Looks like a complete new game though, I dropped that ps1 game fast after I got killed a few times

5 minutes ago, kaz said:

didn't ps1 game already had a story? why change it, was it so bad? Looks like a complete new game though, I dropped that ps1 game fast after I got killed a few times

This is a re-imagining so naturally its going to be very different. There aren't many details yet but here's what the steam page says

Psychological Horror meets Southern Gothic in this reimagination of the classic survival horror game, Alone in the Dark

This love letter to the ground-breaking original lets you experience a haunting story through the eyes of one of two protagonists. Play as either Edward Carnby or Emily Hartwood and explore your environments, fight monsters, solve puzzles and uncover the uneasy truth of Derceto Manor…

Deep in the 1920’s south, Emily Hartwood’s uncle has gone missing. Together with private investigator Edward Carnby, she embarks on a journey to Derceto Manor, a home for the mentally ill where something is lurking. You’ll encounter strange residents, nightmarish realms, dangerous monsters and ultimately uncover a plot of rising evil. At the intersection of reality, mystery, and insanity, an adventure waits that will challenge your core beliefs. Who can you trust, what will you believe, and what will you do next?

Explore Derceto Manor in this reimagination of Alone in the Dark, a love letter to the 90’s cult classic horror game.

Return to the roots of psychological horror and experience an atmospheric journey worthy of the game that started the genre.

Dive into a world full of sounds that make your skin crawl with a haunting, yet mesmerizing doom jazz soundtrack.

Enjoy the thrill of desperate survival in a world where reality starts to crumble, evil lurks in every shadow and ammunition is scarce.

Experience this nightmare from either Emily Hartwood’s or Edward Carnby’s perspective and unearth the dark secrets of a gothic mansion.

Immerse yourself in a deep psychological story that goes beyond the realms of the imaginable, by Mikael Hedberg, cult horror writer of SOMA and Amnesia.

Btw, this game was revealed on THQ Nordic’s stream today and it (along with everything else they showed) was being developed exclusively for current gen. I think that’s a promising sign and hopefully other publishers are doing the same thing. These old consoles need to be left behind already.

5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Btw, this game was revealed on THQ Nordic’s stream today and it (along with everything else they showed) was being developed exclusively for current gen. I think that’s a promising sign and hopefully other publishers are doing the same thing. These old consoles need to be left behind already.

Most trends are pointing that way. I think Ragnarok going to be the last Sony published title to be cross-gen as well. RE4 is only PS5/XSX, etc. Still, Series S holding us back. FUcking MS. :shake: 

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

i actually liked alone in the dark for the ps1 (not the og alone in the dark). this looks fun, though. it kind of has a david lynch feel with its narrative. the combat looks solid.

I've actually never even heard of that game. I just googled it and the PC/PS2 versions had revamped graphics and actually look pretty good even by today's standards

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I've actually never even heard of that game. I just googled it and the PC/PS2 versions had revamped graphics and actually look pretty good even by today's standards

Yeah, it was a fun, criminally underrated re-style game (well, technically the original alone in the dark started the genre). 

I remember I played alone in the dark 3 on pc... the western-like one, I never got far but I always reloaded one of my dads saves and he had like so many weapons it blew my mind...

and the ps1 one I actually wanted for my birthday but I never got far, I think I played the woman at some point... tbh this game kinda scared me back then :D  the guy at the beginning missing and arm when you play carnby :D 😫

The new one looks pretty scary as well, would play on easy mode and waltz through 

also I have PTSD from the uwe boll movie adaption :ben: 

Edited by kaz
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, kaz said:

I remember I played alone in the dark 3 on pc... the western-like one, I never got far but I always reloaded one of my dads saves and he had like so many weapons it blew my mind...

and the ps1 one I actually wanted for my birthday but I never got far, I think I played the woman at some point... tbh this game kinda scared me back then :D  the guy at the beginning missing and arm when you play carnby :D 😫

The new one looks pretty scary as well, would play on easy mode and waltz through 

also I have PTSD from the uwe boll movie adaption :ben: 

Do you think the movie fits in the 'so bad its good' category? :ben: I've actually seen a bunch of Uwe Boll's video game adaptations and like how unintentionally funny they are :ben: 

4 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Do you think the movie fits in the 'so bad its good' category? :ben: I've actually seen a bunch of Uwe Boll's video game adaptations and like how unintentionally funny they are :ben: 

tbh I haven't seen many, only two, alone in the dark whic his pure pain but I enjoyed the over the top dumbness of postal :ben:  

Spoiler

this scene and when they shoot the kids in slow motion later is just :D   uwe boll should kill himself though