PS5 overtakes Nintendo Switch to become 2022’s best-selling console in the UK

25 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Of course the API tools are the most important.  But tailored API tools +tailored hardware > tailored APIs alone.  Example OG Switch vs Newer. Model Switches... One has much better battery life because of the additional tailoring in hardware (designed on a smaller node) 

When has Nintendo went with the cheapest option besides the Blue ocean era? (Wii/u).  NES wasn't a cheap option for its time, Neither was SNES, neither was N64 or GameCube.

At the time the Switch was being developed the X1 was the best chip avaliable at mass market scalability for a hybrid console. 

Which brings me to my last point. 

The Switch 2 will be a Hybrid... Not just simply a handheld.  For it to work as a hybrid it has to be able to play console games on the go.  That would require at the least steam deck level or slightly above for Switch 2.

If it doesn't have that level of powder in Switch 2 then it wouldn't be a hybrid anymore because it wouldn't be able to play console games and would be relegated to just bring a handheld. 

The WiiU utilized a regurgitated broadway architecture that they used before in the Wii and Gamecube.....

It's hilarious to me that you think that the original Switch wasn't tailored to Nintendo at all...  The original Switch was designed by Nintendo..  When you talk about companies like Nintendo or Sony "tailoring" chipset designs for themselves, it generally means cutting things down to suit their needs.  Sony has done some work with AMD to incorporate new technologies into AMDs architecture, which suit Sony and their purposes.  There's nothing to suggest that Nintendo will do anything similar to that with Nvidia... considering Orin is already a thing.  Nvidia doesn't work like that.  This isn't going to be a built from the ground up architecture for Nintendo.

The better battery life in newer switch models comes to refinements in existing technologies which happens with damn near everything over time.  Again, that's not anything being tailored specifically for Nintendo... that a refinement.

The X1 was the best chip for the Switch... and Orin will be the best chip for the Switch 2...  

What the hell are you talking about with your last point? lol  For it to work... it simply has to be able to play Switch games... 

Edited by Remij
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"It was another strong month for PS5 in the UK, with stock levels up 56% in August compared with July (GfK data)"    "Sony’s machine is currently the UK’s best-selling console of the year (s

Xbox is so worthless

lmao   With the "hybrid" market, as you're calling it... Deck has access and gets far more games.  If you want to play any number of games portably... the only way to do that is with the St

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sugarhigh said:

It's the same board inside. That's why the hacking community went to town on the original revision.

The chip in Deck is brand new and never seen before.

No, the hacking community got into Switch because of a Nvidia leak. 

Steam deck uses "Aerith SoC with a 4-core, 8-thread CPU based on the older-gen Zen 2 architecture." 

Using your logic, the Steam deck architecture was 3 years old when it launched in 2022.   Again I see no problem with that because it's a handheld. 

But you for some reason, are knocking Switch for launching in 2017 with 2015 hardware but praising deck for launching with 3 year old tech :umad:

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

And yet still the deck isn't ready for mass market.... You still have to tinker to get tons of games to work.  Its not a out the box experience as yet...same with the TV mode... Still in beta. 

Current Steam deck owners are basically beta testers for valve :umad:

Yeah there's not even a mass market handheld PC yet, and Valve's experience is already in a really strong position. Imagine what a bad deal Switch 2 is gonna be in 2024 when there's a lot more competition from Samsung, Alienware, Sony, ASUS, etc. They don't even have to all be bleeding edge graphics.

3 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

No, the hacking community got into Switch because of a Nvidia leak. 

Steam deck uses "Aerith SoC with a 4-core, 8-thread CPU based on the older-gen Zen 2 architecture." 

Using your logic, the Steam deck architecture was 3 years old when it launched in 2022.   Again I see no problem with that because it's a handheld. 

But you for some reason, are knocking Switch for launching in 2017 with 2015 hardware but praising deck for launching with 3 year old tech :umad:

It's literally the same chip from the Nvidia shield.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2017-custom-tegra-processor-inside-switch-outed-as-standard-tegra-x1

Screenshot_20220909-153957.png

1 minute ago, Remij said:

The WiiU utilized a regurgitated broadway architecture that they used before in the Wii and Gamecube.....

It's hilarious to me that you think that the original Switch wasn't tailored to Nintendo at all...  The original Switch was designed by Nintendo..  When you talk about companies like Nintendo or Sony "tailoring" chipset designs for themselves, it generally means cutting things down to suit their needs.  Sony has done some work with AMD to incorporate new technologies into AMDs architecture, which suit Sony and their purposes.  There's nothing to suggest that Nintendo will do anything similar to that with Nvidia... considering Orin is already a thing.  This isn't going to be a built from the ground up architecture for Nintendo.

The better battery life in newer switch models comes to refinements in existing technologies which happens with damn near everything over time.  Again, that's not anything being tailored specifically for Nintendo... that a refinement.

The X1 was the best chip for the Switch... and Orin will be the best chip for the Switch 2...  

What the hell are you talking about with your last point? lol  For it to work... it simply has to be able to play Switch games... 

I prefaced my last y point by saying it's a hybrid and explained the Hybrid concept (playing full console games on a handheld and on a TV)... So when I then say for it to work.. What do you think that means? Lol

For the HYBRID concept to work it has to be powerful enough to play console games... Meaning multi-platform console games as well. 

That's the entire selling point of the Switch. 

They're not going to throw that away and basically make a 3DS level system where you have to make a totally different game than what's available on other systems. 

Yeah there's not even a mass market handheld PC yet, and Valve's experience is already in a really strong position. Imagine what a bad deal Switch 2 is gonna be in 2024 when there's a lot more competition from Samsung, Alienware, Sony, ASUS, etc. They don't even have to all be bleeding edge graphics.

Steam Deck doesn't need to be a mass market device.  Steam Deck just needs to be profitable to sell, and Valve can adapt production around the demands.  That's the beauty of the Deck.. in that it completely piggybacks off the PC market.  That market is already established and well ingrained.  When you support one, you support the other in a way.

If Valve could get a decent spec Steam Deck down to $299 in the future... that device could really take off.  Valve isn't nearly ready for that to happen yet though.  There's still a way to go before their system software, and the hardware gets to that point.

Currently this iteration of the device is clearly meant to get it established and get real feedback to improve the software aspects.

Yes, but is the shield a hybrid? 

And Why are you dodging your main point of it being 2 year old tech but giving the deck a pass for launching with 3 year old tech? :umad:

Just now, Goukosan said:

Yes, but is the shield a hybrid? 

And Why are you dodging your main point of it being 2 year old tech but giving the deck a pass for launching with 3 year old tech? :umad:

It's a stupid point like saying Xbox series X is based on 1980s technology because it's an x86 CPU. I'm saying the actual chip that Switch uses was 2 years old the year it launched.

Just now, sugarhigh said:

It didn't do this well. They had to resort selling streaming versions of popular games like Control.

Control came out in the 2nd half of the system life cycle. 

You think the deck will be running  full fat late gen PS5 games? Lol

I prefaced my last y point by saying it's a hybrid and explained the Hybrid concept (playing full console games on a handheld and on a TV)... So when I then say for it to work.. What do you think that means? Lol

For the HYBRID concept to work it has to be powerful enough to play console games... Meaning multi-platform console games as well. 

That's the entire selling point of the Switch. 

They're not going to throw that away and basically make a 3DS level system where you have to make a totally different game than what's available on other systems. 

Who said anything about them throwing anything away?  WTF are you talking about? 

The Switch 2.... needs to simply continue the Switch lineup... and be powerful enough for their future games.

What makes you think Nintendo is designing the Switch 2 so that it gets most multiplat games??  

I see them continuing on the same thing they are doing.  Their own games first and foremost, less intensive 3rd party ports, and indies.

Just now, sugarhigh said:

It's a stupid point like saying Xbox series X is based on 1980s technology because it's an x86 CPU. I'm saying the actual chip that Switch uses was 2 years old the year it launched.

What I posted came from articles about the deck. 

Those weren't my words.. I also used your own dumbass point against you :umad:

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

What I posted came from articles about the deck. 

Those weren't my words.. I also used your own dumbass point against you :umad:

Its also an irrelevant point because many more handhelds will come out than just the Steam Deck.

1 minute ago, Remij said:

Who said anything about them throwing anything away?  WTF are you talking about? 

The Switch 2.... needs to simply continue the Switch lineup... and be powerful enough for their future games.

What makes you think Nintendo is designing the Switch 2 so that it gets most multiplat games??  

I see them continuing on the same thing they are doing.  Their own games first and foremost, less intensive 3rd party ports, and indies.

It has to be powerful enough to run those ports to begin with..not all Switch ports were trash.   There's a ton of great current gen ports (t the time PS4/X1) and multi plats on the Switch. 

For the Switch 2 to continue that it would have to be powerful enough to run general multi plats and ports of a certain percentage of current gen games.

Obviously it won't be able to run everything but to even be able to run those games it will have to be a significant jump over OG Switch and around deck level or slightly more. 

Anyway... Let's end it here... Well at least for me. 

I think the next Switch will be more powerful than last gen (PS4/X1) , but obviously not as powerful as the current gen systems (PS5/Xbox S/X) 

Which was the same position Switch 1 launched at... More powerful than last gen at the time (PS360).... But less powerful than PS4 and X1. 

Sugarhigh thinks otherwise, that it will even be weaker than that.

Remij is straddling the fence. 

Time will tell. 

Hey retard, the point that you day is irrelevant... Is the point that you made... Lmfao

Nintendo doing just another more powerful Switch isn't going to land in 2023 like it did in 2017. It will run games worse than the Steam Deck, and it won't stand out against a competitive market of handheld PCS running SteamOS. Their best bet is to go low-end and sell a cheap portable to kids.

Nintendo doing just another more powerful Switch isn't going to land in 2023 like it did in 2017. It will run games worse than the Steam Deck, and it won't stand out against a competitive market of handheld PCS running SteamOS. Their best bet is to go low-end and sell a cheap portable to kids.

That's your hopes and dreams mixed in with delusion. 

Nintendo isn't making non hybrid mobile systems anymore.. So it definitely won't be low end like DS was when it launched.

And your delusion is that the handheld PCs will come close to the mass market of the Switch 2.

Switch 2 will easily outsell all of them by a mile...just like the OG Switch is currently doing :umad:

35 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

It has to be powerful enough to run those ports to begin with..not all Switch ports were trash.   There's a ton of great current gen ports (t the time PS4/X1) and multi plats on the Switch. 

For the Switch 2 to continue that it would have to be powerful enough to run general multi plats and ports of a certain percentage of current gen games.

Obviously it won't be able to run everything but to even be able to run those games it will have to be a significant jump over OG Switch and around deck level or slightly more. 

Dude, why are you even mentioning this?

It has to run games that already run on Switch... that's it...

Obviously it's going to be more powerful and thus will be able to run potential ports of more games than it could have before because of that...  But nothing says those ports get made... Nothing says Nintendo is pushing for more 3rd party support.

All we can safely assume at this point is that Nintendo wants a more powerful Switch to satisfy their own growing demands on hardware.

Edited by Remij