Physical games are dead bro

4 minutes ago, Remij said:

89286_22022_50-of-capcoms-game-sales-now

95% of Capcom's Q2 '22 sales were Digital.

it appears cyclical.

what games did Capcom release in Q2 FY 2022?

That would be during July to end of September 2022?

If its nothing but small games, or re-releases, then I wouldn't expect those to be phyiscal game purchases.

If its a new Resident Evil, or a new Monster Hunter, I would expect more pre-orders of physical versions and special collector's editions.

27 minutes ago, jehurey said:

it appears cyclical.

what games did Capcom release in Q2 FY 2022?

That would be during July to end of September 2022?

If its nothing but small games, or re-releases, then I wouldn't expect those to be phyiscal game purchases.

If its a new Resident Evil, or a new Monster Hunter, I would expect more pre-orders of physical versions and special collector's editions.

Yeah, but on average it's going up year after year.  8% of games on average this FY were Physical.  That's dire.

Over the last 3 years it's like 75% Digital.  It's creeping up steadily.. which means that the people who were holdouts are folding, and it's only the diehards that remain.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yeah, but on average it's going up year after year.  8% of games on average this FY were Physical.  That's dire.

Over the last 3 years it's like 75% Digital.  It's creeping up steadily.. which means that the people who were holdouts are folding, and it's only the diehards that remain.

I'd say that year after year, Capcom is no longer producing major AAA-quality titles.

We're even seeing a slowdown of Monster Hunter.

I wonder just how many games Capcom is releasing during this year compared to, say, 6 to 8 years ago. And how many of those releases are actual new games, compared to re-releases.

Just now, jehurey said:

I'd say that year after year, Capcom is no longer producing major AAA-quality titles.

We're even seeing a slowdown of Monster Hunter.

I wonder just how many games Capcom is releasing during this year compared to, say, 6 to 8 years ago. And how many of those releases are actual new games, compared to re-releases.

I mean digital is gaining ground on Switch isn't it?  You have Monster Hunter Rise and Stories on PC and Switch which are mostly digital sales.

6-8 years ago Capcom was trash.  They were really struggling, and it wasn't until RE7 that they started to get their shit together.  Now they're producing a lot of hits which sell well.

It's basically only the Resident Evil games which get "big" physical launches for the two consoles... but even then they still sell far more digitally.

It's just a shrinking market.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

I mean digital is gaining ground on Switch isn't it?  You have Monster Hunter Rise and Stories on PC and Switch which are mostly digital sales.

6-8 years ago Capcom was trash.  They were really struggling, and it wasn't until RE7 that they started to get their shit together.  Now they're producing a lot of hits which sell well.

It's basically only the Resident Evil games which get "big" physical launches for the two consoles... but even then they still sell far more digitally.

It's just a shrinking market.

Its more of a cost-saving measure than them "following" a market.

Your graph is only showing percentages...........its not showing company revenue.

Capcom is making smaller games...............they genuinely appear to be shrinking as a company.

Just like EA.

If you make smaller games, smaller projects......then they won't want to commit to physical releases.

You are trying to portray it as "They are moving to digital because CONSUMERS prefer digital"

That's misleading. That's saying that the tail is wagging the dog.

Just now, Twinblade said:

I still buy physical games when possible. Most of my digital purchases are PC a games because I don’t really have a choice there.

exactly.

and companies like Capcom aren't making "bigger" games.

There's no Lost Planet, there's no Bionic Commando, hell there's not even any Dead Rising anymore.

There's just them churning out Resident Evil remakes and RE re-releases as physical titles, and every other release is a rather small game.

Just now, jehurey said:

Its more of a cost-saving measure than them "following" a market.

Your graph is only showing percentages...........its not showing company revenue.

Capcom is making smaller games...............they genuinely appear to be shrinking as a company.

Just like EA.

If you make smaller games, smaller projects......then they won't want to commit to physical releases.

You are trying to portray it as "They are moving to digital because CONSUMERS prefer digital"

That's misleading. That's saying that the tail is wagging the dog.

What smaller games/projects are you talking about?

They're making SF6... and it's actually funded by Capcom this time and not Sony..

They're making Dragon's Dogma 2, RE4 Remake, Pragmata, Monster Hunter World 2

How are they shrinking compared to where they were at the beginning of the PS4 gen?

Just now, jehurey said:

exactly.

and companies like Capcom aren't making "bigger" games.

There's no Lost Planet, there's no Bionic Commando, hell there's not even any Dead Rising anymore.

There's just them churning out Resident Evil remakes and RE re-releases as physical titles, and every other release is a rather small game.

LOL Bionic Commando... really?

And Lost Planet was NEVER a "big" game..

Dead Rising has been trash for ages now.. only the first one was actually something special..

4 minutes ago, Remij said:

What smaller games/projects are you talking about?

They're making SF6... and it's actually funded by Capcom this time and not Sony..

They're making Dragon's Dogma 2, RE4 Remake, Pragmata, Monster Hunter World 2

How are they shrinking compared to where they were at the beginning of the PS4 gen?

That's why I asked to see their game output from this year compared to 6-8 years ago.

Those appear to be very VERY long projects. That are taking forever.

So, I am right in saying that they have greatly slowed down output.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

That's why I asked to see their game output from this year compared to 6-8 years ago.

Those appear to be very VERY long projects. That are taking forever.

So, I am right in saying that they have greatly slowed down output.

They're selling more games than they ever have before.

Just now, Remij said:

They're selling more games than they ever have before.

because they're just sticking with Resident Evil.

Consolidation.

Why do you think EA is now just sticking to Madden and FIFA, and the output for Battlefield and even NFS has slowed down.

23 minutes ago, jehurey said:

because they're just sticking with Resident Evil.

Consolidation.

Why do you think EA is now just sticking to Madden and FIFA, and the output for Battlefield and even NFS has slowed down.

I'm not disagreeing with you entirely.  I agree that they've been mostly focusing on RE and MH.. but those are cash cows.  They aren't the only games.

They made a Ghost and Goblins game, they're making Dragon's Dogma 2, Pragmata could go either way as a big title or a mid sized AA one.  DMC5 did well.

They're in a far better shape now than they were at the end of the PS3 gen and beginning of the PS4 gen.  It's not even a contest.

But I agree I'd like to see them rely less on RE and MH and get a couple of other big titles out there.

Edited by Remij
21 minutes ago, Remij said:

I'm not disagreeing with you entirely.  I agree that they've been mostly focusing on RE and MH.. but those are cash cows.  They aren't the only games.

They made a Ghost and Goblins game, they're making Dragon's Dogma 2, Pragmata could go either way as a big title or a mid sized AA one.  DMC5 did well.

They're in a far better shape now than they were at the end of the PS3 gen and beginning of the PS4 gen.  It's not even a contest.

But I agree I'd like to see them rely less on RE and MH and get a couple of other big titles out there.

That ghost and goblins game is a perfect example.

No way in hell they'd commit to a physical release of that.

Which is why those percentages would skew way high for digital. If they are making games like ghost and goblins, or an Ace Attorney re-release, or a Capcom Anniversary collection, they're not even gonna try to release it at physical retail.

35 minutes ago, jehurey said:

That ghost and goblins game is a perfect example.

No way in hell they'd commit to a physical release of that.

Which is why those percentages would skew way high for digital. If they are making games like ghost and goblins, or an Ace Attorney re-release, or a Capcom Anniversary collection, they're not even gonna try to release it at physical retail.

Because there's no market there for them.  Those smaller games naturally gravitate towards digital because they're small and can be easily downloaded and don't take up much space on the drive.

When you start talking about 60-100GB+ of storage requirements... then Physical makes more sense for a lot of people who have data caps and slow internet.  That's why only the biggest games get physical launches.

So that's a large part of it, I think.  Even more people would go digital if there was no data caps and internet was faster.. or files sizes were a lot smaller.  So in reality even more of the market is WANTING digital.. but they're just not at the point quite yet where it makes sense for some people to go that way.