[VG247] 2 years in, the Xbox Series X/S still lacks even one killer exclusive

https://www.vg247.com/xbox-series-xs-still-lacks-even-one-killer-exclusive

"After two years, I step back and look at the Xbox Series X and S, and realize… Does this thing really have any must-play exclusive games? Is there any one game you can point at to make you feel brilliant about your purchase? I’m not even strictly talking about true exclusives here. Cross-generation games are a reality and a necessity right now for numerous reasons – so I’m cool with the hot Xbox Series games also being on Xbox One. But even counting those, there’s just… not much to shout about. At least there’s not much that isn’t also available on PlayStation.

But Sony’s list is also punctuated by God of War Ragnarok, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Horizon: Forbidden West, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Gran Turismo 7, and even Astro’s Playroom – a pretty strong sextuple of first-party hitters for PS5’s first 24 months.

The Xbox list has Forza, and Flight Sim – both utterly excellent – but that’s sort of it? There’s Halo Infinite too, of course, but though I enjoyed that game’s campaign tremendously it’s absolutely fair to say that it has been severely damaged by a botched roll-out that still sees the game lacking cooperative play and with a glacial multiplayer update cadence. "

:hest:

Why are they surprised? Xbox One and Xbox One X never had anything either in all the years they were on the market except for Forxa, forza, forza, forza, forza but ecen those ended up best on PC anyway.

Xbox abandoned high profile exclusives a decade ago.

I don't get the business interest for MS to stay in videogames. In 2004 the rush to get computing in the living room was real. Now, the computer in the living room isn't even PlayStation. It's mainly Smart TV systems, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc. So MS could fuck off with gaming and focus on making a media puck.

If you have to buy up half the industry to stay in an industry, you're probably not getting great return on investment. The payoff to MS isn't obvious here.  If it's just Gamepass revenue, they could open up the service to a lot more platforms.

In the near future SteamOS is gonna make Xbox a redundant platform.

3 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

I don't get the business interest for MS to stay in videogames. In 2004 the rush to get computing in the living room was real. Now, the computer in the living room isn't even PlayStation. It's mainly Smart TV systems, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc. So MS could fuck off with gaming and focus on making a media puck.

If you have to buy up half the industry to stay in an industry, you're probably not getting great return on investment. The payoff to MS isn't obvious here.  If it's just Gamepass revenue, they could open up the service to a lot more platforms.

In the near future SteamOS is gonna make Xbox a redundant platform.

I'm starting to think their ad business is part of it. Microsoft tries to push ads and services on you at every opportunity, having that data in the living room about what you're playing, watching, how much time you spend on xbox, and having it all linked to your windows account must be doing something for them. Add in their desperation to get people to install their mobile app.

I'll never use a service from an ad company ever again its fucking awful :lul: You're just hombarded with shit at every opportunity.

On 2022-11-17 at 5:11 PM, TLHBO said:

I'm starting to think their ad business is part of it. Microsoft tries to push ads and services on you at every opportunity, having that data in the living room about what you're playing, watching, how much time you spend on xbox, and having it all linked to your windows account must be doing something for them. Add in their desperation to get people to install their mobile app.

I'll never use a service from an ad company ever again its fucking awful :lul: You're just hombarded with shit at every opportunity.

I read a theory a long time ago, like 15 years ago, that Microsoft is really, at their core, a marketing company.

All of these software platforms are just "delivery methods."