Help me find old PS1, N64 and Dreamcast games on STEAM.

This Christmas is putting me in a nostalgic mood. I want to play some old games. NO REMAKES. 

I'm aware of the SEGA Dreamcast collection. I already own Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi. I also own a lot of Square Enix PS1 RPGs so no need to mention those. I also own Turok, Grandia and Griandia 2.

Just to list a few as examples

Shenmue 1 (DC)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/758330/Shenmue_I__II/

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (N64)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/455910/STAR_WARS_Rogue_Squadron_3D/

Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire (N64)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/560170/STAR_WARS_SHADOWS_OF_THE_EMPIRE/

Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer (N64)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/808910/STAR_WARS_Episode_I_Racer/

Forsaken Remastered (PS1, N64)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668980/Forsaken_Remastered/

Pandemonium (PS1)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/243020/Pandemonium/

Glover (N64)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1257880/Glover/

Edited by Ramza
1 hour ago, Ike said:

I think the Sonic Adventure games are available. I’ve been having an itch to play them recently. 

Yeah, both. They're on sale right now but I have seen them even cheaper before. 

Bought Sonic Adventure. I must say the selection of early 3D console games is seriously lacking on PC.

This is something that companies with old portfolios should consider. Like I would have gladly bought the PS1 versions of RE, RE2, RE3 right now, even a minimal effort port. As long as it works fine. 

Edited by Ramza
2 hours ago, Ramza said:

Bought Sonic Adventure. I must say the selection of early 3D console games is seriously lacking on PC.

This is something that companies with old portfolios should consider. Like I would have gladly bought the PS1 versions of RE, RE2, RE3 right now, even a minimal effort port. As long as it works fine. 

Why don’t you play them via emulators?

34 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Why don’t you play them via emulators?

Because it's trash. You manage to finally get the game running perfectly after a couple of hours of fiddling with various plug-ins, only to find out that at a certain point in the game, a specific cutscene makes the emulator crash every time and you can't proceed further. This happened to me more than once, especially for PSX emulation.

Spare me this fucking crap, emulating anything other than 2D arcade, NES, SNES, GBA roms is just way too annoying for me. I just want to chill and play some old games for nostalgia sake, not damnation in the pit of emulation hell. Please.  

On STEAM I only have to install the game and play it, unless it hasn't been updated since like 2010. In which case, there's probably an easy fix or something. Like using backward compatibility mode that is built in the new Windows OS. Easy peasy.

It just comes down to how user friendly things are. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Because it's trash. You manage to finally get the game running perfectly after a couple of hours of fiddling with various plug-ins, only to find out that at a certain point in the game, a specific cutscene makes the emulator crash every time and you can't proceed further. This happened to me more than once, especially for PSX emulation.

Spare me this fucking crap, emulating anything other than 2D arcade, NES, SNES, GBA roms is just way too annoying for me. I just want to chill and play some old games for nostalgia sake, not damnation in the pit of emulation hell. Please.  

On STEAM I only have to install the game and play it, unless it hasn't been updated since like 2010. In which case, there's probably an easy fix or something. Like using backward compatibility mode that is built in the new Windows OS. Easy peasy.

I don’t emulate, so that’s why I asked. I just know it’s common. I figured it would make getting older titles easier. I didn’t know they were unstable. 

31 minutes ago, Ramza said:

look into the mister system. It’s basically a box that emulates a ton of retro games spanning multiple generations and systems. It’s basically the ultimate emulation platform from what I’ve heard about it. 

37 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

look into the mister system. It’s basically a box that emulates a ton of retro games spanning multiple generations and systems. It’s basically the ultimate emulation platform from what I’ve heard about it. 

The next person who mention emulation to me for any reason, I will find you and punch you in the fucking mouth. 

55 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Typing of the Dead is pretty fun.

That's a Wii game. lol 

I didn't know you could play the normal version as well, I'll probably get it at some point. 

26 minutes ago, Ramza said:

The next person who mention emulation to me for any reason, I will find you and punch you in the fucking mouth. 

This is on a different level compared to software emulation though. Its as accurate as you can get with emulation and resembles playing the games on their original platform. Check out this video to learn more about it

edit: more info on it in this article

https://www.polygon.com/22640171/mister-project-classic-gaming-retro-fpga-board-chip-io-explainer-usb-hub

im not that big into retro games but If I was I would be all over this

16 minutes ago, Ramza said:

That's a Wii game. lol 

I didn't know you could play the normal version as well, I'll probably get it at some point. 

I was talking about the original. It came out on dreamcast first and used its keyboard attachment

The PC version seems hard to find nowadays though (it doesn't seem to be on steam).

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

This is on a different level compared to software emulation though. Its as accurate as you can get with emulation and resembles playing the games on their original platform. Check out this video to learn more about it

edit: more info on it in this article

https://www.polygon.com/22640171/mister-project-classic-gaming-retro-fpga-board-chip-io-explainer-usb-hub

im not that big into retro games but If I was I would be all over this

I wouldn't touch this thing with a ten foot pole. I'd rather have cancer.

Edited by Ramza
  • Ben 1
22 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

This is better than any software emulation packages or garbage PC ports you might find on steam, but suit yourself :shrug:

If I can't press play and then play instantly, it's not worth my time. I just want to chill and play an old game or two.

The first thing he says is that the latency is not perfect, like with other emulators. So superior, alright. 

And quality portage like stuff from Nightdive Studio is always going to be preferable than emulating hardware and old software that hasn't been properly updated and can have all sort of issues.

4 hours ago, Ramza said:

When did you last use an emulator 2008?

Most games play perfectly, especially PS1. N64 may be a bit spottier but old ass Steam ports can be too, hell even the nintendo virtual console has been worse for emulation issues :D

I do both. I'd still buy the games on steam because they're dirt cheap most of the time (aside from Square-Enix) but emulation is generally more reliable than old PC ports I have found.

There's probably a curator or two on Steam that do a decent job of rounding that stuff up. 

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/25622578-For-Retro/lists/

First one I found, but I know there's games missing from at least his N64 list since there's a (really shiity) Earthworm Jim 3D port and Shadows of the Empire.

Should just use an emulator, though. :woody:

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

There's probably a curator or two on Steam that do a decent job of rounding that stuff up. 

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/25622578-For-Retro/lists/

First one I found, but I know there's games missing from at least his N64 list since there's a (really shiity) Earthworm Jim 3D port and Shadows of the Empire.

Should just use an emulator, though. :woody:

He’s going to punch you in the mouth bro. He’d rather get cancer than emulate. 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Ramza said:

If I can't press play and then play instantly, it's not worth my time. I just want to chill and play an old game or two.

The first thing he says is that the latency is not perfect, like with other emulators. So superior, alright. 

And quality portage like stuff from Nightdive Studio is always going to be preferable than emulating hardware and old software that hasn't been properly updated and can have all sort of issues.

The latency is as close to perfect as it gets. This video goes into more depth regarding the tech behind it

Also its possible to buy it already pre-assembled with the roms pre-loaded, so at that point it essentially becomes plug and play.

I might get one next year for the holidays. When my family gets together we always look for video games to play together. I think it would be cool to plug this in along with a few USB controllers and then be able to load up the classics we used to play back in the day (including Street Fighter and Goldeneye) while also introducing my younger cousins to some of those same games.

• Upvote 1