I think it's time to get a new receiver.

yeah, buy an AV Receiver from this decade would be the most obvious advice.

Yamaha still makes good receivers, but I also like Denon, and especially their auto-calibrating technology. Their "Audyssey MultiEQ XT32" built-in software there you tell the receiver how many speakers you have, and where they are generally placed, and then connect a microphone  to depict where you are going to be sitting at, and they do a whole bunch of beeps and boops test sounds to measure distance and calibrate the sound level and timing in each speaker.

I think a model that alot of people recommend as a good all-around AV Receiver is the AVR-S970H, or the previous year's 2020 model AVR-S960H which you could find on sale.

Pretty sure i had the same receiver. It lasted 15 years. I picked up a Yamaha rx-a850 7.1 Atmos 4k receiver for 100 bucks used on Facebook market place. It's been great. 

21 minutes ago, Cooke said:

Pretty sure i had the same receiver. It lasted 15 years. I picked up a Yamaha rx-a850 7.1 Atmos 4k receiver for 100 bucks used on Facebook market place. It's been great. 

Yep.

Still rocking this one.

hoywitfetshxknqyspov.jpg

It is time to update it.

52 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

I'm sorry, I got my numbers mixed up.

That is the one that is considered the most commonly recommended one for standard surround sound.

I believe the previous year's model was called the S460, and this would be the most recent year's model.

Its 5.1 it doesn't really have Dolby Atmos. But if you're not going to be changing your speakers, then there's probably no need to go installing elevated speakers or upward-firing speakers to do Dolby Atmos. This immediately gets you HDMI 2.1 connections and has some nice smart connectivity, to use Spotify or other music streaming services, you can control it with your phone, etc.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

I'm sorry, I got my numbers mixed up.

That is the one that is considered the most commonly recommended one for standard surround sound.

I believe the previous year's model was called the S460, and this would be the most recent year's model.

Its 5.1 it doesn't really have Dolby Atmos. But if you're not going to be changing your speakers, then there's probably no need to go installing elevated speakers or upward-firing speakers to do Dolby Atmos. This immediately gets you HDMI 2.1 connections and has some nice smart connectivity, to use Spotify or other music streaming services, you can control it with your phone, etc.

Ok.

I am going to be most likely buying it by the end of this month.

I might spend a bit more and get some midrange for the future.

Based on av receiver pricing, better ones get you less distortion and more power without too much heat buildup for bigger speakers.

$300 priced av receivers are good for bookshelf speakers.

14 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

Ok.

I am going to be most likely buying it by the end of this month.

I might spend a bit more and get some midrange for the future.

Based on av receiver pricing, better ones get you less distortion and more power without too much heat buildup for bigger speakers.

$300 priced av receivers are good for bookshelf speakers.

absolutely. i'm assuming those bookshelf speakers are passive speakers, so that they get their juice from the AV Receiver.

also, never underestimate somebody selling 20 year old upscale speakers for cheap in a local listing.

A very expensive speaker from the 90's will probably still have great build quality, won't rattle, and is just a good old fashioned heavy cone thats inside good old fashioned heavy wood, and if you get an AV Receiver that can deliver enough juice, they sound fantastic.

• Like 1