Ghostz Prevails - New DirectX 12-to-Metal translation could bring a world of Windows games to macOS

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/06/new-directx-12-to-metal-translation-could-bring-a-world-of-windows-games-to-macos/

Article title is a little hyperbolic since so far it says everything has to be done on a per-title basis, but it's a start.

Windows is an abomination and SteamPlay/Proton is a lifesaver, hopefully Mac can get something similar so we can diversify the PC gaming market.

I would love for Mac to be able to play more games. I have a pretty powerful laptop I use for business. But if I could play some of the newer titles on it, that would be a cool bonus. I have a feeling this will flop, though. The M1Max was an impressive chip in late 2021. The M2Max is kind of underwhelming, though, with only marginal differences over the 1. The M2Max got beaten by the mobile 4070, which is a hell of a lot cheaper. 

Apparently there are 2 different things here, the one from Codeweavers which I linked to, and a new proprietary tool from Apple for developers. I think the latter is the one most games are being benchmarked on.

But...

On 2023-06-06 at 3:01 PM, sugarhigh said:

As long as they're pushing Metal rather than Vulkan it's total joke

On 2023-06-06 at 1:43 PM, Remij said:

Apple doesn't want it because it means they don't get their 30% unless they're on the Apple store.

Both of these are sadly true. Apple appears content to leave Mac gaming in a sad state because they want everything in their store.